Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inspired by maehem.....

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you a girl or a woman? At what age do you feel like being referred to as a girl or a woman?

When I was a kid, I used to think that a perosn turned into an adult at age 21, kinda like metamorphosis. Then I turned 21 and nothing happened. Now that I'm older, I am still waiting for this feeling of adult / maturity to kick in. It hasn't.

This was inspired by Maehem calling herself girl.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott,
    I know what you are saying about feeling like an adult. I sure do not.
    I would think that you would with having childern. That's a lot of responsibility, which is why my wife and I do not have any. We are both still kids, that just happen to be married almost 9 years now.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt feel like an adult at 21..not even close..
    I was still in college and didnt "feel" like an adult at all..
    it still didnt happen for all of my 20's either..
    through my 20's I was still single, didnt have any great job that I could consider a "career"..was in a Rock & Roll band..still going out to bars every weekend..was basically living the "college lifestyle" right up until I turned 30..
    I never felt like an adult.
    I think the 20's is basically an extended adolescence nowdays..
    its not that I didnt *want* to grow up..I wasnt avoiding anything..I wanted a real job and serious relationship and maybe marriage!
    but it just wasnt happening then..it was "just life"..not anything I was doing on purpose..

im now 36, I have a good job, and im getting married this year!
    and finally I consider myself an adult.
    I "feel" like an adult now..
    I cant pinpoint exactly when it happened..it happened gradually over the last 5 years or so..

(yes I know, this thread is supposed to be for the women/girls!
    but a guy started it, so I thought I would jump in!

Scot

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a little secret for the younger folks...

You NEVER feel "grown up" or "adult." While you may add to your "knowledge bank" via life experiences as you age, you are still "you." You might change an opinion or develop a new skill, but in your mind, you remain pretty much the same. That's why its hard when kids look at adults as being so different. We aren't really...just lived longer and know a little bit more. We might be a bit wiser due to the experiences we've had in life. Adults often do know what they are talking about when they make "silly" rules. But mentally, I don't think anyone feels more "adult" or "older" in their head. And its reaaaally hard when the body starts to change and you say "WAIT! That's not me!!" Mind and body begin to be mis-matched. Its tough. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

I prefer to be referred to as a "woman" but frequently out of habit and what I hear all the time, I'll say "girl." But long ago my politically correct, feminist roommate corrected me when I called a young woman a girl. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] So I do try not to do that.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! "Inspired by maehem" there is just something odd about that phrase....

On the topic of adulthood... nope... not there yet. To quote my uncle "I am much to old to grow up now!"

It feels like just last week I was 4 years old... now I have a 4 year old of my own! I remember playing with blocks and finger painting like it happened only about 5 minutes ago... okay... so it was last week but still! (being a parent can be SOOOOO much fun!)

As for the whole girl/woman thing.... Kate works just fine!
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] think the 20's is basically an extended adolescence nowdays..

Exactly right. Past pressures that may have accellerated the process of maturity are defunct. Lets see, as teens most of us dont have to help out dad in his job or do lots of work starting at 10 or 12 like it used to ne a centuary ago, but the ae at wich one has been coniderd 'mature' has remained pretty much static. Many adults in their 20's now may still rely on their parents for financial aid or have trouble 'sticking with' a job, always looking for the ideal job and not setling for anything less. This try it and see if you like it attaitde os fine, but it does take time, and usually you always start out at or near the bottom of the ladder every time you swich, wich may not keep up with living expenses. I dont feel mature unles si look back on the past year or so to see how much iv matured and knowing what i "would have done" just a few months ago is different from now.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever people refer to me as a "man" I always think they're talking about someone else. Of course "boy" doesn't work either... so I'm sticking with "guy" for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh. I'm 31, married with a kid.
    Don't feel like an adult. I feel the same way as I felt coming home from school with homework....Chores to do, but I just wanna play. Blah.

Anyway, no one, in my book, can consider themselves a man or a woman (promotion from boy or girl) until they stop insisting on being called one.

We used to get in so much trouble with the chick at college if the word girl slipped out when they were around. That's why we kept calling them girls!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast