User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are your views and opinions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I support women in combat. Not because it's going to have the best results (a couple people mentioned some legitimate factors) but because I don't feel it's legitimate to "allow" them to or not. I just can't imagine telling someone they are "not allowed" to do something because they are the wrong gender.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some men are fit for combat. Some men aren't fit for combat. Some women are fit for combat. Some women aren't fit for combat. It's really that easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first let me say that we do not know for sure that only the men hunted in forager societies. Although it is likely that men did the majority of hunting it is not uncommon for women to participate in localized hunting and to hunt more exensively when they do not have young children that need to nurse.

As for the oriental cultures i think what tamlin really means in soceities with a confucian past (China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam) Which is also the source of the repression of women. A lot of the cultures that were present until missions destoryed them were matriachal or atleast valued women and assigned them powerful leadership roles.

And although this country likes to pretend everything is equal among all people not just genders we are far from achieving that goal.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] A flying ant came and went into the keyboard. I didn't want to hurt that little fellow and lifted my hand to stop typing. I knocked the mouse, the cursor flew to "X" and my reply to this thread got closed! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]

Now let me continue. Singapore is heavily "asian". Majority chinese, very confusion...oops confucian. My grannny came from China. She married my granddad at the age of 16 and was left there for 10 years when he came to Singapore to work. She came here only after some seniors sent for her when my grandad was seeing a local lady. MY granny bore him three sons which is very, very few children by chinese standards. But despite being left to live as a widow in China for that long period of time, she has NEVER mentioned it to us. Not even to my dad or his siblings. We heard it from the other octagenarians. I admire her for that, surprisingly. The only complain she had was that my granddad didn't talk very much when he was still alive! I for one wouldn't wait for 10 years! And would definitely flame that fellow for as long as I live! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Things have changed a lot now. If I were her, I would still work but will be selling porridge and fried noodles or be carrying stuff at the construction sites. If I were her I would have to serve my husband his cup of tea every morning without fail. I would not be able to tell my eldest son off. I would be expected to lie down like a dead fish when he wants the u-know-what. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] And I would not be able to be still alive now at the age of 93 and having looked after my 27 year-old granddaughter when I was 88!

I wasn't lamenting about being treated unequally but Tamlin summed it all up when he wrote:

"I worked for 6 years in an office of 35 women, and I was the only male. I can tell you from experience that the promotion of women by women is NOT frequently based on skill and ability, and from my experience men are more likely to promote women based on skill and not nose color."

True, some women do sleep their way up but the men are also the ones who are more fair in giving a promotion!

I love men. My dad, then my brother then my husband. And I do love male bosses. They are less nit-picky and aren't bothered by the nitty-gritty. Female bosses are often jealous of how you look, how you talk and even how you walk!
    Cindy

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it still so common in work and home for women to ask men to do heavy lifting and brute force labor for them? Not all women but still very common none-the-less.
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in china males are much favored over females as childeren. Some birthers that birth children offer to snap the neck of a infant if it is disscovered to be a female. this practace has lead to a skew in the male/ female ratio there.

PS. how exactly would some be considerd not fit for combat?
    that makes no logic

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Women can touch, laugh, cry, sing, dance. If men do this they are looked upon as being queer and are Powerfully discriminated against (and very much so in the job market).
    Men can be tough, spit, punch, cuss. If women do this they are looked upon as being queer and are powerfully discriminated against (and very much so in the case of some jobs).

Women are stereotyped and society tries to make them all a certain way, just like it does to men. Women are "supposed" to be cute, girly and feminine, and if they're not, and choose to instead be tougher, stronger, capable and never wear stereotypical feminine clothes, people automatically assume them to be lesbian and shun them just because they defy the female stereotype. Trust me, I know. I get that BS from alot of people because I'm not girly and I don't wear dresses or skirts or makeup or skimpy, sexy clothes or behave like a submissive little lady-like cutsie-poo. If a man does something normally attributed to the likes of women, they are considered queer. If a woman does something normally attributed to the likes of men, they are ALSO considered queer. And this is how the world is. It's full of stereotyping, narrow-minded snobs.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]PS. how exactly would some be considerd not fit for combat?
    If they're not physically or mentally able.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to religious/political commentator Jerry Falwell the "feminists" is part of the reason that god allowed 9/11 to take place! Not to mention all the gays and pagans running around! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

But seriously I believe in equality for all no matter sex/orientation, age, race or religion. Unfortunately the world does not operate the same way.

As far as women (or gays) in combat it doesn't matter to me who's in the army, as long as I'm not there with you! I have no desire to kill anybody and I don't know why anyone would. If you're into murdering people I guess the army would be the place to go if you wanna do it.

I should add that all the women I know have no desire to march & die either.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast