Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does one rinse sand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any suggestions appreciated. April aka/Killer
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just put as much as you need in a bucket or something, put in enough water so it can rinse the sand properly and rinse until the water is clear.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put what I needed into a 5 gallon bucket. Then used a hose to wash the sand until I had the silt washed out, then rinsed with RO water to remove the minerals from the hose water.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like BCK...I start out rinsing peat or sand with hose water. It will take quite a few rinsings so unless you have a LOT of pure water, it'll just get wasted. Once it starts getting pretty clean, I switch to rain water for the last couple of rinses. If you're washing peat, you have to kind of wring the water out of peat by squeezing or pressing it because the peat will float. Sand is a little more cooperative since its heavy and sinks to the bottom so you can just pour off the murky water.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an alternate approach. I use a caulander. I put the media, whether it's sand, peat, or LFS in the caulander and place it the stream that runs behind us. I then knead it. When thoroughly mixed, I just lift it out to drain. just make sure the holes or slits are small enough for the media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim you are lucky to have a stream. I have to put it in my mouth and swish like mouth wash [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    No really do the bucket thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions...I guess I will go with the bucket method..but the colander/sieve method sounds good, too. I wonder if I lined my colander with cheesecloth..hmmmmm

Is the stuff you buy at the garden center for use in kids sandboxes rinsed? It says on the outside of the package "REALLY CLEAN Play Sand!"
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    April, thanks for spelling that word correctly. I knew it didn't look right, but..

Anyways, the topic of acceptable sand has been debated many times, with mixed conclusions about the sand in garden centers. What IS acceptable is sandblasting sand (if you could obtain it) and poolfilter sand and pool supply places. I use the latter. Either way, washing / rinisng is required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast