What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scary spiny pests

I got a bunch of these on a tree in the backyard. The ants are farming these bugs and drinking the dew they produce. Anybody know what these freaky things are? I asked on another forum, and one person said it was a "leafhopper". I googled it, and these bugs don't look like no leafhopper.

scary_pest.jpg

okay.. I have no idea what those are... but I think you just managed to replace my fear of spiders... those are... horrifying

Horrifying? Heck no! Those are gorgeous!

They look like some kind of leafhopper(juvies maybe)-but their are thousands of species. Many have odd body shapes/thorns as the ones you showed. Harder for a bird to swallow after all.

It would help to know what kind of plant it was on but don't expect an ID unless you talk with an entomologist

Maybe a species of aphids, you said that the ants were farming them and ants are known for raising aphids and aphids produce dew from their backside, so probably a type of aphid, unless ants also raise other dew-producing insects.

Im guessing mutant alien insects, who lke to wear the skins of lady bugs for hats ??

please tell me that they dont move fast one of those with speed behind it would really creep me out!

They're kind of similar to these... or not hehe.

Bugs01_web.jpg

Bugs_web.jpg

Related to cicadas I think.

Larry...where the heck have ya been??!!

Gross bugs. But nothing can approach the creepiness of....of....(I can barely say the word)....CAMELBACK CRICKETS!! Talk about a bug to run from! They totally creep me out. *shudder*

Geeesh, them spiny things are downright nutty-looking, I bet they're" weapons grade"

MAN, I sincerely hope they never appear up here in Canada- we got these weird "military Cicadas" last year (they were flat-black "stealth fighter" looking things with a flattened, HIDEOUS spiky body and dragonfly-looking wings) and they were quite scary enough for me...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think they replaced my fear of spiders..
Didn't replace my fear of spiders, but it DID add one thing to my "intense fear of creepy crawlies" list...

This is Southern California. They grow some weird stuff out there!
laugh.gif

thay are indeed a species of leafhopper. Iv seen some mimic willow buds very well. if there not causing damage leave them be there neat lookin

Yep, they're homoptera alright. Darn cool looking things IMO.

WOW I don't know what they are,but they look really neat! LMAO @ Unknownclown~You always say the funniest things,lol
laugh.gif
Aww come on Mabudon,don't be freaked out.I bet they're really friendly
biggrin.gif
~Niki~

I liked the horned things better then Larry[s picture

I dont know how you guys are grossed out. Those things are absolutely awsome (althrough I dont want any on my plants since they might cause harm to them).

Mabudon- now where did you see those? There arn't a lot of cool looking insects where I live, but there are strange butterflies that are quite large. Do you happen to have a pic? Zongyi

If they are leafhoppers, they suck sap from the tree, so they are harmful. I found some that have molted into their adult forms. They're about 3X bigger, green, looks like a rhino with 2 horns. Kinda cool, I'll have to take some pics of it.

many minor insects feed on trees without damaging them. keep a eyen on them incase they cause problems, but leave them if they dont. chances are they probably wont be a problem

Niki- if they're friendly they're even WORSE- I am sort of alergic to bees and lately there've been some WAY too "friendly" ones, I got chased into the house a bunch of times while trying to fix my bike (I guess I sure do smell like flowers)

Alphawolf- if you think regular cicadas are creepy, the thing I'm describing would set you off at a dead run- truly spooky looking and quite large
I doubt I could get a pic of them alive, but I've seen some dead ones about (also they live inside wood in their larval stages it seems, so the "shell" is sometimes left behind too)
If I am unlucky and the darn things come back this year I will do my best to show them off here- one thing I'm certain of is that last year was the first year I've ever seen anything like them around here

so they're not the periodical cicadas? because they ain't coming back for years.

Back