What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop

• Thread starter Treaqum
  • Start date
I looked up photoshop (computer program) since everyone seemed to be cazy about how good it was. IT was $599.00 so I should think you like it!!! Now I have proof that buying the $5.99 lenses that are colord is much easy-er

or you could just use The GIMP. it's free.
cool.gif

GIMP stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program. Its kinda like photoshop, but free. Go here for more info.

Tre, how old are you?

The GIMP is nice but it's still not Photoshop. Photshop Elements (80% of the power but geared towards more everyday tasks) is $86 I think.

~ Brett

You definately want to read this. Very informative.

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ May 10 2005,7:24)]I looked up photoshop (computer program) since everyone seemed to be cazy about how good it was. IT was $599.00 so I should think you like it!!! Now I have proof that buying the $5.99 lenses that are colord is much easy-er
cheaper you mean. photoshop is way easier.
smile_n_32.gif

PhotoShop IS expensive. Its a professional image editing program. The full version of PhotoShop is geared towards print reproduction which is not something most people need. There are a lot of functions in PS that the average person would have no clue what its for...like clipping paths and such. However it is the premier image program...every professional design, print and advertising agency uses it. It used to be those were the only people who had it...it wasn't something for a home computer.

Be glad you don't need QuarkXPress. That used to be $299 and now it costs $1,000.
confused.gif

I use both!
smile_n_32.gif

My versions are older though, Quark 3.32 and PS 5 but both work fine for me. My crummy PC probably couldn't handle the newer versions anyway.

If all you want is a good image editing program that won't cost your left arm see if Micrographix Picture Publisher series is still going. I have v 8 of that from like 5+ years ago (I think it was $70) and it's faster than PS to load up and do quick photo/image editing. PS is good for doing an image layout in CYMK and making color seps for film. If you don't know what that means, then you don't "need" Photoshop!
smile.gif

Quark is a combination layout & offset printing program which can be sent to a production printer who then creates printing plates of the files and prints a magazine, advertisement, poster, etc, from the files. When I was doing Battle Helm Magazine print edition we had a cool modern print company in North Dakota (Morgan Printing, Inc) who would take our CD-Rom with the quark X press files and insert the CD in the machine and the offset press would go direct from the disk to plate, bypassing the step/cost of creating printing films. Quark is great, saved us thousands $ in setup fees over the years! But if you don't need it's capablities for publishing production and just wanna do page layouts Power Publisher is a great inexpensive program which has all the standard stuff Quark has just not the production capabilities.

I use Paint Shop Pro. It's a powerful editing tool... I hardly skim the surface of it's capabilities.

Swords and PAK pretty well nailed it. i use Photoshop cause the paper has it so its availible for free for my tinkering(we have the CS version
smile.gif
) i barly know how to use the program but Darla uses it ALOT here at the paper. another awesome Adobe program we use for alot of custom built fancy ads and layout is Indesign. some of the stuff Darla has done with that with a few keystrokes was just awesome but its another $1,000 program the average person really doesnt need.

I use photoshop everyday, I love it. If you want to go cheap, get photoshop 7 if you can find it. That version still rocks.

I hate Quark, I need to learn InDesign since that's the future
smile.gif

Just a random note, you can often get student discounts if you or someone you know can get it at a university bookstore.

I think I will be able to obtain a program like photoshop. One of my programing friends built/designed/whatever one like it.

Here's a link for Photoshop CS 2 (latest version) for only £9.49:

ebay UK

I assume it's legal since ebay havn't taken it off. There are also some other people selling PS on there for peanuts, which doesn't seem to happen on the US version of ebay. I'm sure they'll ship to the USA.

People selling burned copies of software are selling you "backup" (wink wink) discs in case you've bought the software (wink wink) and lost the disc or are afraid your disc will get damaged. Once these people get shut down, their customer list usually gets seized. Beware.

Let's just say I've never had any problems with buying in such a way off ebay
smilie4.gif

Back