Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who are the goths among us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Women in the victorian era used face powder with arsenic in it to keep their skin really pale. The arsenic, of course, caused all sorts of health problems. One of the symptoms was fainting. They called it "the vapors". And that's how fainting couches were invented. There was also a band called the Vapors, but I believe the weren't goth. I liked the Stranglers...they were kind of goth punks in the '70's.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JimScott...

How soon is now?...You just caused me to go put that album on. Brilliant.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Or clique-y.
    Indeed they do/are! When I was running Dark Age Productions record label the few true goth bands I was working with were very much so! Many of the older Goths here don't even use the word anylonger since it's been defiled and they've invented other terms for themselves.

Of course,. even weirder are us dark ambient guys who sit in the dark with our synths and make minimalist, filmscore or millitaristic music! I did my own stuff Cernunnos Woods (primitive ritual) and Sigillum dei Draconis (painful ambient noise) projects from 91 til 98 on both DAP and Cold Meat Industry label (from Sweden). We're so clicy we often don't communicate with other humans one on one - ha ha! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (aprilh @ May 14 2005,9:50)]JimScott...

How soon is now?...You just caused me to go put that album on. Brilliant.
    Vapors? Was that, "Turning Japanese"?

Album, did you say album? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay...
    I never considered myself goth but...
    I grew up in a small town in the south and always felt like i belonged elsewere. I dress all in black (mainly for the fact that I can't match other colors and feel as though I always clash). Musically, I listen to a wide variety (classical, - country, blues, rock, industrial --I love skinny puppy, ministry, 10,000 homo djs). And working in a kitchen I am forced to listen to an absurd amount of mexican bands. I also have a nail peircing though my lip. I don't know whether this makes me "goth" or not ( I like the fact that I'm known as Kahnli --a person-- and not some by subculture that I represent). I am fortunate enough, however, to have many goth friends.

as far as the arsenic thing goes... :P I used to date a goth girl who was black (still is most likely) and I don't think she ever engaged in anything to make herself more pale.
    Hippies? I think the goth would've been the Hell's Angels at their party (the edgy Black Sabbath punks leaning against the wall).
    Sturgeon's Law:
    "Nothing is always absolutely so".

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ May 13 2005,3:07)]little Marilyn Manson wannabes or pretend vampires.
    Marilyn Manson, and his fans, and very far removed from true Goth..they are in fact the epitome of poser Goth..

Marilyn Manson is a genious, he found out an easy way to seperate thousands of gullible children from their money (their parents money actually).
    His whole schtick exists only as a means for children to shock their parents.."hey, lets be as shocking as possible so that kids can be "into" us and have a way to rebel against their parents..and we can make lots of money doing it"
    its all a very lame act..its just a show, which exists only for the purpose of making money..
    please dont ever equate Marilyn Manson with Goth..there is no connection at all..
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I feel I must stick up for MM. He is indeed very intelligent. And he knows exactly what he's doing. I wouldn't call him or his followers goth poseurs, they are another genre entirely. I admire the testicles it takes to dress up like that and perform. In addition, and most importantly...the music is decent.

Peter Gabriel dressed up in outlandish costumes when he was in Genesis.

MM's just doing what Alice Cooper was doing in the "olden days", and Ozzy before that, and Screamin' Jay Hawkins before that, and Gene Krupa before that.

Gene Krupa(the first rock star) was Keith Moon before Keith Moon was Keith Moon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea for a thread, jimscott!

I don't dress Gothic, nor do I listen to Gothic music, but I do very much consider myself Goth. It's not really how you dress or appear; it's a way of thinking.

I'm a real pessimistic, and get depressed very easily. I've been disappointed a lot in my young life, and it's contributed to my current Goth-ticity(made it up. I like to make up words). Sometimes I am sadistic, and sometimes I am a little creepy. But I wear normal colored clothes and no white powder or black lipstick.

One thing that makes my friends think I'm Goth is that I like to stare at things creepily. I can make someone squirm so easily because I can control my emotions and hardly ever laugh. And I often stare off into space and am completely oblivious to my surroundings.

I also am an average person in my fears. I'm afraid of many things, actually, and I am NOT nocturnal, like many people envision Goths are. I actually don't like to be out after 8pm without my parents, because when I was nine I had a nightmare about it, and me talking about it for longer just makes me more scared. I'm afraid of many urban legends like Bloody Mary, the Candyman, the Mothman, and the girl from the Ring (the fact that we have a well in our backyard doesn't help quell my fears) and I don't like to be able to see into dark spaces. I watched a movie about the Boogieman when I was really young, and now I don't like to look under the bed. I sleep with the door to my bedroom open, and with the hall light on, and I don't like to take showers when it's nighttime. All in all, I just want to say that being Goth doesn't mean you can't be afraid of scary things.
    Let me just say that Marilyn Manson freaks me out.
    Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening. ~Pardo.

\"I think we should always make certain we have chocolate. One never knows when it might be necessary.\"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast