What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you eat your food?

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date
I eat each section at a time too! All my friends think I'm weird but now I know I'm not alone!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My bad. I thought you were Hispanic. We have had those as well as pestolillos. I like to use something called adobo in beans and rice.
I am, I'm Mexican.
The thing is that there are TONS of different foods in latin america, tons in mexico alone, and tons of different names for the same thing in mexico alone. the northerners call it something, the easterners call it something else, westerners, blah blah.
lol... we were discussing this in x-mas. My uncle's wife's sister's husband and all of them spent like the whole night talking about those things. "wait wait wait... you call the bullonjuelos bolillos? but bolillos are the things with three folds!" "no they're the ones with two folds!" and so on.

I guess all those meat & cheese and beans & rice things with floured whatever are just variations of one another. Have you ever heard of adobo as a seasoning?

We lived in Buffalo and the Hispanics there are primarily Puerto Rican. (same with Reading, PA) We lived in what changed from German to Italian to Puerto Rican to PR / Vietnamese area. My wife befriended a young woman from PR and the next thing we knew, we were exchanging cultures, via the food. Trust me, though, we were shown that Mexican is NOT the same as Puerto Rican and NOT the same as Cuban or.... Even the Puerto Ricans in Buffalo had different ways of pronouncing the 'll'! Some say 'Y' and others say 'J'.

Nope, never heard of it. I searched and it looks like some sort of nasty-looking meat.
lol... a lot of hispanic food looks/sounds nasty but it tastes good. I mean... mole looks like diarrhea, is made from chocolate and peppers, and you put it on chicken and rice... yet it's good.

Then there's something called "10 year sauce" that my college buddy from Hong Kong uses in his cooking. It is a mixture of soy sauce, spices and meat drippings from previous meals. He kept it in a jar and refrigerated. When pulled out of the fridge, it is a coagulated disgusting mass. But when put in the food, it was really good.

I dont mind when things touch each other and I like to mix a little bit of everything

Jimscott,

Ever had Kim-chee? It's a korean dish. Cabbage thats been buried (in a crock, of course)in the backyard for a while, so it will ferment, and very, very spicy. YUM! It's not limp like sour-kraut, really. Try some, if you haven't. True Kim-chee has anchovies in it(or so I am told), but I don't like anchovies, so I buy the kind without.

I really don't like it when my foods get mixed together, unless it's mashed potatoes and apple sauce.

Another great thread, jimscott. Also popular, too; 3 pages after only 3 days!

I like to eat in compartments as well. I absolutely can't bear it when my mashed potatoes get into my tomato sauce, and I practically gag when I see my grandfather's plate of food at a buffet: sausages, mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, biscuits, steak, jello(that's right), pudding, cookies, broccoli, fillet, salmon, and lettuce all on one big plate, not necessarily in that order. This is a childhood nightmare for me.

Ohh, Wow a couple of visits to my aunt (who isn't really related to me but that doesn't matter, anyway) I agreed to try Sea Cucumber next time. I hope she continues to forget. I saw it in China Town in NYC when I was there and it did not look good. Most of the stuff she makes is good though. You just alsways want to tell her to make it Americanized so you don't end up eating dog or something.

You could call me a health nut, I guess.. I eat healthy stuff all the time. Anyhoo, here are my brief likes and major dislikes... I LOOOOOOOOOOVE fried food, especially chicken and onion rings. White rice with butter on it, OMG! When that's there, I eat a MASSIVE amount of it. Pinto beans with chili powder and garlic power in it, BOOYA! But I HATE baked beans.. especially the way my grandfather makes it, with more vinegar than beans.. I hate vinegar anyway. And breakfast sausage... *hurls* And eggs, especially scrambled.. *hurls* Had a bad scrambled-egg trauma as a child.. my grandmother made me eat it, and I hurled later just because of the taste. But I like hard-boiled eggs. And I resent onions and peppers and coconut.. to this day I have no idea why. Maybe the taste, maybe the texture.. I dunno, but it ruins anything I'm eating if it's in it. That's why I LOVE salsa, but I only dip chips in the juice. No chunks of peppers. When I eat jalepeno cheese dip (and I LOVE the taste of jalepenos, but I don't like EATING the jalepenos for some reason), there's always a bunch of jalepenos at the bottom at the end. And I hate anything with hamburger. Always hated hamburger and hamburgers and cheeseburgers. That's why I believe chili should consist of the chili juice, macaroni and beans, and that's all it should be. I am so weird, and I know it. Plus, I love most vegetables.. except regular squash.. it has no taste. It's basically solid water it's so plain. I LOVE broccoli, with butter and slightly overcooked. I LOVE peas, and lima beans are good. Carrots are okay. Potatoes in any form are righteous, except the cheap, lumpy, grainy mashed potatoes. Gotta be GOOD mashed potatoes. And I LOVE the buffalo wings at Dogs R Us... O.. M.. G..!!!! If there were a Dogs-R-Us-buffalo-wing-sauce flavored drink, I'd drink it EVERY DAY!! I don't snack, so all that I just said abovd has been MOSTLY about dinner. For breakfast.. that's a random decision for me. I'm not a breakfast *person* who has to have 20 pounds of hot crap. Pop tarts are good. Any cereal, especially Mini Wheats or Total. Toaster waffles are a good I-have-nothing-else. Fruit is good, fruit is always good. Except citrus.. never liked it much. And orange juice.. I HATE IT!! With or without pulp, it's nasty. But why do people even like pulp in it anyway?? One of my favorite comedians once said about orange juice with pulp.. "People are always like, 'HEY, It's just like eating an orange!' HEY, It's just like drinking a glass of sea monkies!"

Anyway, I don't eat much.. rarely, actually. I have a frustrating metabolism.. it takes me FOREVER to get physically hungry!! The way that's frustrating is.. I do not allow myself to eat if I'm not truly physically hungry. If I ate as much as a normal person would eat, I'd be overweight because of my half-the-speed-of-smell metabolism. It was once confirmed my stomache empties slowly. I ate at 10AM this morning. I ain't gonna be hungry again until AT LEAST 5PM tonight. And this sucks, because I LOVE food. I can't help it. But I have discipline and I KNOW that if I eat a "normal" amount of food, there's no way I could ever stay in shape. I have to eat very little to stay below overweight. I usually just eat breakfast and dinner, and that's it. No lunch. No snacks. The only snack I eat are sunflower seeds, and only at night. I'm extremely used to eating this little, but it gets me in a funk sometimes. Many other teenagers have "normal" metabolisms and can eat CONSTANTLY and still be a normal weight. Take my cousin Justin for example. He eats ALL THE TIME and is still skinny as hell, because he has a good metabolism. Me? I eat like a Marine rationing my daily food among 30 other starving Marines and, only by that, acheiving a normal weight. The good thing is, this means my body needs VERY LITTLE food and VERY FEW calories to function, so I'd last FOR-@#$%-EVER on a deserted island. The bad thing is, I almost never get hungry, therefore I almost never get an excuse to eat outside of my two meals a day. But the weird thing is.. if I drink alot of water, I get hungry quicker. But if I drink very little water, it takes twice as long to get hungry. What's up with that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ May 15 2005,6:02)]Jimscott,

Ever had Kim-chee?  It's a korean dish.  Cabbage thats been buried (in a crock, of course)in the backyard for a while, so it will ferment, and very, very spicy.  YUM!  It's not limp like sour-kraut, really.  Try some, if you haven't.  True Kim-chee has anchovies in it(or so I am told), but I don't like anchovies, so I buy the kind without.

I really don't like it when my foods get mixed together, unless it's mashed potatoes and apple sauce.
you mean kimchi? I have korean friends, shall I ask them about it?

Wow. I never would have thought there were so many compartment eaters. Y'all are WEIRD!
smile_l_32.gif

I mix and match according to the food. Generally I don't care if something mixes unless its something "uncoordinated" like BBQ sauce running into string beans.

I'm a smorgasbord person...I like a variety of foods...a little bit of a lot of things. So I often buy a lot of different things but takes me a while to eat it all. I rarely finish a meal. I am the "Can I get a box to go?" queen. I think its conditioning from my childhood when I hardly ate anything and my parents were always yelling at me "Don't waste that food...think of the children starving in Biafra!!" [Like I knew what Biafra was...] and "Its a crime to waste food!! EAT!" So now I can't throw food away as long as its edible.

I wonder if compartment eating is a "symptom" of CP addiction....
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ May 16 2005,3:55)]I wonder if compartment eating is a "symptom" of CP addiction....  
cool.gif
Either that or OCD!
smile_m_32.gif

I love making jokes with my friends about OCD. We took an online quiz once that determined what mental disorder we had, and we all got Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Small world.

JimScott,

Ask your Korean friends about it...if they have some they will share. Even I didn't think it was an acquired taste. It was just cruchy and spicy goodness!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ May 16 2005,9:48)]JimScott,

Ask your Korean friends about it...if they have some they will share.  Even I didn't think it was an acquired taste.  It was just cruchy and spicy goodness!
Jumscott?
smile_n_32.gif
dont you mean Dino?
OK I will ask them, but what I already know there are over 70 types of kimchi

Ill ask too! Um... I don't have any Korean friends at the moment. All the Asians I know are either second generation Chinese or Singaporean.

Hey, am I the only one who folds my pizza and lets the grease go down to my elbows?

kimchi is just pickled spicy cabbage, big woop people. I ate some for breakfast I have it all the time.

Well, Flip Side, Kimchi is a big deal if you've never had it before. Not everyone eats it for breakfast. Though, it's a fine breakfast. Aprilh

Back