What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it my imagination or does it seem as though

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'll stick to the things I know that I know.
so you'll stick to nothing?

(LOL... you know... the philosopher??? that was in no way meant to insult anyone)
and Jim, my spelling SUCKS in spanish (how ironic) but I'm 99.999999% it's arriba lol

I'm sure it is! And believe it or not, I am an excellent speller - in English - I just make a lot of typos. (Don't laugh, Tanya!)

it's kind of funny. I can write in english but have a horrible accent (english being my second language and all), and I can't write in spanish but I can speak it (spanish being my native language :p)
if only I could write in english and speak in spanish all the time lol!
I don't even count french because I know almost nothing, and I can't speak nor write it :p

No such thing as a horrible accent, really. I like accented speech, whether it's an american dialect or a "foreign" one.

an accent is not being able to speak a language correctly.
I must admit i too like how some accents sound... but I don't want to have ANY accent (unless it's a fake accent)
a horrible accent is like when you have to repeat a word two or three times (or more) for people to understand what you're saying.... so there is such a thing as a horrible accent :p
you also have to get used to my accent... which makes it horrible too lol.

I grew up with the Long Island / NYC accent. We don't pronounce R's. Now I have a Western New York accent / Midwest thing. Go to California. They HAVE no accent!

I usually don't take out my anger on people; I give them death threats. The first time I ever did that was to a boy named Kevin: an incredible sissy. He was being his usual retarded self, and I told him that he better shut up unless he wanted to have a knitting needle impaled into his smaller intestine. I've like to knit. Ever since then, I've been scaring all of the boys in my classes with it. I even thought of mailing a knitting needle stained with ketchup to a boy when I was particularly ticked off. I actually don't make fun of girly girls much. What makes me a tomboy is that I'm NOT afraid of creepy crawlies and reptiles and such, I don't wear skirts (often. Only on special occasions.) or makeup (which isn't a surprise as I'm in middle school, but nowadays ALL the girls are doing that) and I scare other boys.

Yes, jimscott, you make a LOT of typos.

Does NJ really have an accent? I never noticed...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ May 23 2005,11:07)]an accent is not being able to speak a language correctly.
I must admit i too like how some accents sound... but I don't want to have ANY accent (unless it's a fake accent)
a horrible accent is like when you have to repeat a word two or three times (or more) for people to understand what you're saying.... so there is such a thing as a horrible accent :p
you also have to get used to my accent... which makes it horrible too lol.
I dont agree, its got nothing to do with how well you speak the language.......its just how you say the words.

I have an accept too.........people get used to it in time but when I first meet people they cant really understand me, well depends on the person really.
Someone is even asking me to start talking in an English accent, I have NO IDEA how they expect me to just switch over and do that
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (VFT_lover123 @ May 24 2005,4:33)]Yes, jimscott, you make a LOT of typos.

Does NJ really have an accent? I never noticed...
Thank you VFT.... I'm so glad you noticed!
smile_n_32.gif
Apparently, my French is also nutricious!
smile_m_32.gif

Juysey? You betcha!

Alpha, an accent is how the words are pronounced..not how they are used, correctly or incorrectly.  I like accents and dialects.  And yes, Californians have accents.  Midwesterners are considered to not have accents..but I find that they do, in a small way.  When someone goes to a dialectician to "cure" their regional accent...the midwestern accent is the one that's usually chosen to imitate, but it's subjective, really.  Aprilh

Subjective? Wasn't it Woody Allen who said, "Subjectivity is objectivity"? What WAS that movie? Love and Death?
confused.gif
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]an accent is not being able to speak a language correctly.
No, an accent is the way you pronounce words. Everybody has an accent.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Apparently, my French is also nutricious!
o_O

Back