Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trip to north carolina

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to NC a few weeks ago and I spent one day looking for plants. I found a lot. It was one of the most productive days I've had looking for plants in a long time. I found some plants in places I've never seen them before. I got so many pics that I can't get them online all at one time. So I will keep updating this until I get them all done.

Well the day started in Bladen county. I stopped by Jones Lake located in Bladen Lakes State Forest. Bladen Lakes are a group of lakes made up of giant Carolina Bays. Carolina Bays are oval shaped depressions that occur from New Jersey to Florida. They are all aligned in the same direction. This is better seen from the air.

They range in size between a few miles across to just a few feet across.

Here is a pic of three Bay lakes, Smallest to largest they are Jones Lake, Saulters lake, and White Lake.

Every time I'm in NC I stop by a ditch that is near Jones Lake to check for a plant that I once saw there. I believe that I found U. floridana. It was growing in with some U.gibba in a deep ditch. U.floridana has only been found one time in NC. According to Don Schnell's book Peter Taylor found a piece of the plant washed up on the shore of White Lake. As you can see from the above pic White lake is less than 5 miles from Jones lake. I took pics of the plant with a disposable camera, but the pics didn't come out. I went back to take more pics next time I was in NC but it was gone. Every time I have been back to the ditch the plant was not there, only U.gibba.Here are the pics of the U.gibba.

Unfortunate, the plants wan not there this year either.
    When I was leaving I saw the flowers of S.flavas across another ditch. I turned the car around and went back. The flavas were way across a series of wide ditches, at first I thought I wouldn't be able to get to them without getting very muddy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started trying to navigate my way over to the flavas and I found these D.capillaris on a some ground that was sticking up out of the water.

I was so wrapped up at looking at the sundews, I didn't realize that I was also looking at S.ruba. I have never found any rubras in Bladen county and I didn't expect to see any.

Here is some U.gibba nearby

I Finally made it over to the flavas.

Then I had to figure out how I was going to get back to the car without getting muddy. I got back only a little muddy.
    I decided to go to the ranger office and see if they knew the S.rubras were there. I showed them the pics and they made a note of them and said they would check them out for themselves. They also told me that a few years ago they caught some guys trying to poach those flavas.
    Up next, I'll have pics of some vft's, pings, sundews, and pitcher plants from Carolina Beach. I'll try to get them posted tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nature of the Carolina Bays was basically unknown until people started flying over them. Before that, people didn't recognize the relationship between the scattered low areas. My North Carolina trained Geomorphology professor loved them. Their origin was and probably still is unknown, but I think a comet is the current preferred mechanism. Oh, cool plants too.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the Lakes were made by metors. Anyway Ozzy you are so lucky to have been in NC for a while. Hope I get to visit for a few days (next time) near Carolina Beach State Park. Those flava flwoers sure look like the S. flava rugelii flowers I saw all over Apalachicola.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tre, if you go sometime after June, I can show you those plants and way more.
    Carolina Bays are very interesting when you start reading about them. The leading theroy right now is that the earth passed through the tail of a comet. Since comets are made of ice particles, there will be now material left over after they have crashed into the earth but water. If it was a meteor, there would be some material from it left over. No material from space has ever been found in a carolina bay. Another theroy is that when the area was cover by the Atlantic ocean, ocena currents created the bays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright But I cannot promise I can go this year.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I plan to be there at least the next 50 years, so let me know.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We left Jones Lake and headed to Wilmington to go to Cape Fear Serpenterium. You can read about that here.

After we left there we went to Carolina Beach State Park. CBSP has many different trails, the best of course is their Flytrap Trail. To find the best plants you have to get off the trail.
    The first thing I found was D.intermedias, they were everywhere.

I turned down another trail and saw a bunch of purple flowers.

I'm not an expert with pings so it took me a couple of seconds to realize what they were. P. carulea.
    You can also see some D.capillaris growing with them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast