Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: True - 'global cooling = global cooling'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <backs away slowly>
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]BOULDER, Colo. - Researchers in Colorado have made a startling discovery. Fish, apparently male, are developing female sexual organs. Scientists believe it's the result of too much estrogen in the water and they're finding estrogen in rivers across the country.

In Colorado's rivers and streams, scientists are waist-deep in ritual of the season, using electric currents to stun native fish to the surface where they're measured and checked. But what they discovered in the white sucker fish has got even veteran scientists concerned.

"I've done a lot of studies throughout my career which extends back to 1973," says research associate John Woodling. “This is the very first time that what I've found scared me."

"This fish has characteristics of both male and female," says Dr. David O. Norris of the University of Colorado, Boulder.

And scientists have found lots of them in three Colorado rivers, all of them downstream from sewage treatment plants.

In the Boulder Creek, female white suckers outnumbered males five to one and 50 percent of the males also had female sex tissue.

Researchers say the cause is too much estrogen in the water, a natural female hormone that is found in every sewer system. But also, they say, certain chemical compounds in detergents and soaps can mimic estrogen.

Barbara Biggs, of Denver's largest sewage plant, says most of the nation's sewage plants simply can't remove all the estrogen in the water.

"We're concerned about the effect on aquatic life, but we're also concerned about our ability to actually treat for these estrogens and estrogen mimickers," says Biggs.

Estrogen mimickers are believed to be caused by chemicals called nonylphenols, found in everything from paints and rubber to cosmetics and plastics. They are considered a possible cause of kidney, eye, liver and reproductive problems.

They’ve been banned in much of Europe and are under review in Canada, but are still common in America, where they are flowing out of sewage plants and into clean water flowing into America's rivers.

Government researchers recently found natural estrogens and estrogen mimickers in 80 percent of the streams they tested in 30 states.

"We would be ingesting those chemicals, would absorb them, and they would add to whatever natural hormones we already have in the body," says Dr. Norris.

No one is certain what the impact is on humans. But since finding evidence that estrogen may be turning male fish into female fish, scientists are now looking at what it means for the nation's drinking water.

In a state that prides itself on living in harmony with nature, this is evidence, say researchers, of a hormonal imbalance.
    In my wastewater treatment class the teacher had something about the affects on humans, can't find that now tho...
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we&#39;re looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn&#39;t test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O&#39;Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah I heard about that. I think in those same areas there's an increase in human cancer isn't there?
    ... but I bet it's just natural. I mean... clownfish change sex right? (note the sarcasm)
    Quote[/b] ]AlphaWolf, It's all whether you get your information by real climatologists or right-wing radio talk show hosts. Thanks for the reality check.
    true... there's this stupid guy in the station I listen to that says environmentalists (as if every single one of them) want to outlaw flush toilets and stuff. Talk about stereotyping. He doesn't even mention why. he just says "Oh what an environmental disaster if people aspire to use flush toilets!!!"
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks&#33; (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes but thats not the point of this discussion. Thets a totaly new one. if u want to talk about THAT, imm all ears in anotther topic.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wait. people LISTEN to radio talkstatons?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure, alan colmes rocks. he has on the CRAZIEST people imaginable. I won't go into details... but they're pretty darn crazy.
    (but that's another thread... he he he)
    wikipedia rocks&#33; (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this should be fun!
    lets see if we make AlphaWolf's head explode..
    A.W.
    please read this:

http://www.junkscience.com/news/robinson.htm

now..im sure you will naturally dismiss the claims in that article as Right-wing propaganda..thats fine, I would naturally expect that of you..
    I dont care about that..
    what is more interesting to me is why you would automatically dismiss that article as right-wing propaganda, because it disagrees with your theorys,
    and yet all your "facts" you believe are truth right?
    and have nothing to do with left-wing political proganda at all?
    of course..
    so..explain to me why one set of scientific data is propaganda but another set of conflicting data is NOT propaganda..
    thats what I would like to know..

the whole global warming myth has nothing to do with the environment anyway..its all political.
    if you dont believe that you are very naive..
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh please. That graph you showed us (twice... in the same page) had no scientific value at all. if you think that graph is not propaganda, then... well i'm sorry for you.
    Quote[/b] ]what is more interesting to me is why you would automatically dismiss that article as right-wing propaganda, because it disagrees with your theorys,
    and yet all your "facts" you believe are truth right?
    first of all, it's theories, not theorys.
    secondly, I don't know in what world you live in but you did not give me that article before and i did not dismiss that article, because i didn't know it existed!
    thirdly, the facts I gave you can be measured and tested and they ARE facts.

Let me read it... and i'll reply again..

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast