Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: True - 'global cooling = global cooling'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The theory of how, once enough fresh water from the glaciers and frozen ocean melt into the ocean current, the current shuts down and stops bringing warmed water (and therefore warmed air) to the poles, and therefore creating an ice age, hence global cooling.
    Jenna Armstrong,
    Co-Leader of Ethereal Exotics.
    Animal Breeding -
    Bengal House Cats, and soon Ball Pythons, Chinchillas, Giant Geckos, and Flying Geckos.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That concept was illustrated in the movie called, "The Day After Tomorrow".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]That concept was illustrated in the movie called, "The Day After Tomorrow".
    all though a bit radically and 'out there'.

Something else some of you might be interested in looking up, the sun has weather cycles just like earth, it has highs and lows, and it's temperature rises and dips over long periods of time. This can effect our climate as well.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i love how "scientists" latch on to 5-10 year weather patterns and read something into it other than the natural ebb and flow of the planet. just cause we like to base things on 1 5 or 10 years doesnt mean the planet does. observing weather patterns for a 10 year period only gets you data for that 10 years. doesnt show you much in the larger scheme of things. acurate weather data for most areas is only about 100 years old. "modern" humans have been around for what? 35 times that atleast? kinda hard to read anything into current data when we dont really have that much historical data.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently read an article, which I can't find now, which talked about using a barrium atom (which i think is created by periods of high solar activity) to gauge how the suns magnetic fields shift, the whens and whatsits of it all... well, apparently, they think the sun shifts its magnetic fields every 100,000 years... and according to their data, we are currently in the time frame where the sun increases it's temperature for the next 500,000 years. now, that is a climate! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] scientists are now starting to formulate theories on whether this activity, in conjunction w/ small variables in the earths orbit (.1% change closer to the sun) can account for ice ages and long periods of draught.

I don't think anyone in their right mind can say we shouldn't be reducing greenhouse gas emissions, but I certainly don't think they are as big a part of the problem as many people think they are, I honestly believe the earth is going through a normal warming cycle, but I do believe, we are most likely aggrevating the situation. All one needs to do is look at thermal maps of the country and see the heat blooms around big cities, those heat blooms can effect wind, wind effects rain, lack of rain causes erosion (lack of plants roots to control it) and so on and so forth...

what a fun time we live in. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked it better in the 70's, when the experts" were saying that we were going to global cooling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]i love how "scientists" latch on to 5-10 year weather patterns and read something into it other than the natural ebb and flow of the planet
    it's NOT 5 to 10 years. The exact measurements start at 100 years (even that is 10-20 times longer than what you said) but the average global temperature, greenhouse gases, etc. have been measured for the last couple thousands of years by analyzing ice from many glaciers around the world and forzen lakes, trees, etc. and they have determined that at around the industrial revolution (what a coincidence... it's all doing perfectly fine until the industrial revolution) the greenhouse gases concentration in the atmosphere skyrocketed (that's relative of course...) and so did the temperature.
    Yes, the temperature increase doesn't sound like much, but the little ice age in europe, --1450 to 1850-- which saw wide fammins and stuff, was caused by a (global) fluctuation only about 2 degrees F. a tiny change can make a big difference.
    That's because not all of the world warms up by 2 degrees. It's because some parts warm while other parts cool.
    now... global cooling. I didn't know that was a separate theory from global warming. In very mundane terms, here's what happens.
    greenhouse gases makes the earth warm up, which makes ice melt, which upsets the salitnity around the poles as well as the temperature. There is a worldwide thermohaline current (temperature-salt current... also called the great ocean conveyor) which basically regulates the world's climate... that would be affected by the changes in salt and temperature. If it is disturbed, it stops/slows down/whatever (there's evidence for the effects of it being messed up) and that causes an ice age in the northen hemisphere.
    great ocean conveyor:

Quote[/b] ]Average temperatures could plunge by 5 degrees C- for comparison, this is about the same difference as between the global average temperature today and during the last Ice Age, when Canada lay beneath 3000m thick glaciers. The resulting colder, snowier winters would require new infrastructure, damage crops & shorten the growing season.

much more than 5 years... where the ... did you... *shuts up*

WAAAAAAY more than 5 years. ... *breathe Luis breathe...*
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast