What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star wars iii

• Thread starter firewired
  • Start date
The one that I remember (I've seen it once) was when Anakin said "You're either with us, or against us,"  which is a direct quote from George Bush in reference to nations harboring terrorists and their willingness to turn them over.

Honestly, I didn't even know there was debate about this, I noticed it myself...I can't help it, I'm a scientist so I pick up on these details.  

Again, I'm not making a huge deal about it, it's just an observation I thought was interesting.  So relax out there, I still loved the movie and was wondering if anyone else had picked up on this.

Hi,

I saw it and it was ok. It just does not come up to the original three. Someone said Lucas himself said so in an issue of WIRED. The problem is Lucas. He is a techno wizard but a dud director of actors. Plus, the actors he cast are mostly bad in the movie. Really makes you want Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hammel. The Empire is pretty good. The story makes sense must seems made to fit pieces together and not truly organic. It feels as if Lucas has more of the "dark side" than the "light side" of the "Force" when he directs today. The joy, fun, freedom, skin of our teeth youthful quality of the original is not there. The acting plods. The visuals are nice but visuals may make a game but not a story. Lucas just did not have something to say with these 3 films. They feel like watching plot and effects -- backstory. The original films were truly expressive of something he felt and so they seemed "real" and the action lived. These new ones are paint-by-numbers.

Republicans are the dark side. Need I say Tom DeLay. He looks like the Emperor.

Bobby

Well, depending on how old you are, you're never going to have the same feelings about the 3 newer movies as you did when you were a kid watching the originals.

I thought Hayden Christiansen was alot better in 3 than he was in Clones. E3 was supposed to be a darker, tragic story and I think Lucas succeeded.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The one that I remember (I've seen it once) was when Anakin said "You're either with us, or against us,"  which is a direct quote from George Bush in reference to nations harboring terrorists and their willingness to turn them over.
He said, "You're either with me, or you're my enemy." I remember that because when he said "with me..." I thought "you'd better not finish this with 'or against me'," and fortunately he didn't.

The whole abuse-of-power, manipulation-of-the-public, which-side-is-the-real-attacker stuff can apply to just about any war movie and just about any war. A movie about a war comes out while a war is going on... parallels are unavoidable, IMO.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The problem is Lucas.
I read somewhere (I thought it was the Wired article but I guess not) that Lucas doesn't think he's any good at writing dialog and doesn't like doing it.

It's odd that it doesn't occur to him to get a little help from a writer to fill those things in.

I feel kind of the same way about Lucas as I do about M. Night Shyamalan... I really like them both, but they could take their movies to a whole other level if they didn't insist on doing everything themselves.

But anyway, of this six this one was in the top two or three for me.

i watched it TWICE and it was totally awesome!
somehow, after the movie, i felt very depressed. Any one else experience this 'star wars depression'?

AND any1 think episode 7 will come out? it might come out as a surprise!

Haven't seen it yet, but the end of movies all tend to depress me a little. I get too attached to fantasy worlds. It's worse with books and videogames. I cried when I finished Chrono Trigger on the SNES. :p
biggun, I'd tend to agree with you on Lucas' latest stylings... it doesn't feel like Star Wars any more. It adheres to the story, but I don't know... After eps one and two I'm reluctant to see this one on my own dime. Lucas has enough of my money.
~Joe

The phrase "You're either with us, or against us" which you imporperly qouted from the movie (as poitned out above) is pretty much as old as time. It' snot a GWB qoute, it's a qoute GWB took from the person who said it before him, and that person the person before him, and so on back through history.

Biggun, you think I am an evil person from the darkside because I am a republican? That smacks of tossing me into your general conception of the party, something I think we have been pretty about lately as mods on this forum. consider that a friendly tap on the shoulder, from this big bad nasty republican sith lord.
smile.gif
(truly I say that with all humor!
smile.gif

And as far post-starwars depression... sigh.. yes... I felt it... I was very sad when the jedi were being killed, the sense of betrayel and 'oh' that went through their mind was palpable. And it saddened me that so few even got to put of their own fight... Alia Secura didn't even get to draw her lightsabre...

I noticed quite a few things in the movie that I would love to discuss, but I am afraid it will spoil the moment for others (let's be realistic, we all know what is going to happen, but the specifics of it can be great fun.)

What can I say without spoiling... hmmm...

Well, I will try to be non-spoilish, but if you don't want to take the risk, don't continue reading:

Everyone notice Obi wan pick up anakins light sabre before leaving?
In the 'pivotal moment' of the movie, as anakins thoughts darken, the sun sets, and when he makes his first act of betrayel, it is night, could one say 'the sun set on Anakin Skywalker?"
Wookie doing a Tarzan yell?
Anyone catch the parralell between greivous and vader?
anyone catch the foreshadowing of a much later battle in the opening sequence with count duku?

Fun Fact "I have a bad feeling about this" is uttered in every single star wars movie. Do you know who said it where in which movie?

there is so much more there as well, there were a lot of easter eggs for a star wars fan.

Ram,

It was a joke. Republicans have many "issues" but religion, space knights, myths and mysticism from a California boy reading Joseph Campbell is not one of them. Delay is just a run-of-the-mill Texas boy with power. Politics are real; not a movie.

Bobby

As to episode 7- it has been strongly hinted at, but Lucas may not have enough time left to finish them (although Sam Raimi could make a pretty cool SW fiml is given the budget and the chance IMO)
The live-action TV series IS confirmed officially, as is a new animated series- I mention this cos it should help with the post SW depression (halfway through my first viewing I distinctly realized "this is the last of star wars")
A series, done right, could provide MUCH more star wars over the next few years then we've yet seen (I don't THINK Lucas will stick to his habit and release on episode every 3 years- if he does, the reruns would get old real durn quick)

RAMpuppy- is the "foreshadowing" you're mentioning a refererence to ROTJ??? The "throne room" on the ship is nearly identical to the one from that film

Can't recall who said the "line" this time, I know it had to be one of 2 people but can't remember which

Fun film, really "heavy" in a lot of ways (I like how even Lucas' kids weren't safe from the destruction..... that bit kinda surprised me)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"Either you're with me, or you're my enemy."

Sounds like anything you've heard before? Yes Ram is right, Bush did say something similar to that - that's how George got the "politics" into the movie. It sort of highlights the decline of democracy under the Bush regime, I think. So, is Bush the jedi or the sith?
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"I have a bad feeling about this" is uttered in every single star wars movie.  Do you know who said it where in which movie?

Sweet!
laugh.gif
I can't recall now - too tired, but I sure have heard it uttered at least a few times. Always the old 'master' who says it huh?
smile_m_32.gif

Jason

I think I remember C3-P0 saying it...........was it in Return of the Jedi?

I think Obi-wan said it on more than one occasion.

As for the movie, I thought it was great but is not as good as the originals. Yoda is the greatest creature that George Lucas ever made!!!! As for Jar-Jar, he was ok but by far the worst creature ever made by Lucas.

"I have a really bad feeling about this."

Han Solo says it repeatedly throughout the series. Luke says it a couple times, Leia says it at least once in Empire Strikes Back. Lando says it in ROJ  ect ect...

Lucas is a big fan of that kind of familliar repetition in his movies. If you watch the directors commentary on the dvd's he explains that (interestingly enough, more than once lol)

Now for some criticisms of my own.

In ROJ, Luke asks Leia about her "real" mother. Leia replies that she has few memories, "images really, feelings"..  I find it very unlikely that anyone has any memories whatsoever about the day they were born, let alone a complex thing like "she was kind, but sad.."

Next, The Wookie homeworld of Kashyyk is supposed to be made up of ultra-tall Woorshyr trees. These trees are supposed to be MILES tall. Tall enough that you cant see the ground below. The Wookies are supposed to live in very modern cities in the upper branches of the trees. The short scene in this movie showed a couple little trees with Ewok like huts built into them. Doesnt fit with what Wookies are supposed to be. Oh and as for the Tarzan yell..  dont forget that Chewbacca did that in ROJ also ;)

Finally, It took 17 years to build the Death Star? The framework was under construction at the time of Luke and Leia's birth, but was not yet operational at the beginning of A New Hope. Grand Moff Tarkin says it himself in the film: "Lord Vader has promised to return the stolen plans by the time this station is operational..."

I still loved the film. I will definately be seeing it again this summer. Of all the prequals this one was by far the most action packed. The lightsaber duels were awesome, although Lucas STILL hasnt figured out yet to wipe the dang shadow from the prop saber blades off the floors. A blade made of pure light would not cast a shadow lol.

Steve

I'm waiting for everybody and their cousin to get their fill, so I can see it in peace.

Wow Steve......now that's an in-depth look at it. I never thought about the lightsabers not casting shadows.

I heard this, thought it was funny: a popular drinking game is to watch Star Wars and everytime Luke whines, you have to drink.  You are drunk before the movie is over.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Much whining in him, just like his father

Yoda said that about Luke in Return of the Jedi, I think.
smile_n_32.gif

Nah, actually it was 'anger' or something like that...
biggrin.gif

Phantom Menace - Obi Wan Kenobi - Conference room on Droid Control Ship
Attack of The Clones - Anakin while tied up in the battle arena
Revenge of The Sith - OBi Wan, can't remember when though.

A New Hope - Luke Skywalker, trash compactor
Empire Strikes Back- Princess Lea in the asteroid monsters belly
Return of The Jedi - Han Solon trussed up for ewok dinner

oh, and yes, the throne room was ONE of the things I was talking about.
smile.gif

greivous was? and Ram I did not get your 2nd to last post. I obvioulsy need to see it again. While I was there (whihc was only a couple days after it cames out) Some one had a shirt with numbers on it. At first I could not firgure out what they were for. Turns out he had already seen it 13 times
smile_k_ani_32.gif

The best part was the battle where Anakin gets wipped by Obi who says "don't try it". Loved teh emperors explination of what happened to Padme also
smile_n_32.gif

Back