What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The beach

Today at the Beach Kavok (the family dog which is actually a pig in a dog suit) found the largest fossil I have ever seen. Well the largest I was able to take home that I saw (most museums don't like that). Since last fall when the paper reported the black tar-looking things on the beach were fossils I have looked at them and found parts of (presumibly turtle) shells, and other things. These are all fossilized like the black sharks teeth which can be found fairly easily. The fossil Kavok found today was a few vertibrate (worn down quite a bit) with several parts of ribs attached on one side. I will try to get a picture later this evening but it was quite amazing.

cool! I've tried looking for fossils on the beach but i've never found one. The one that would be super awsome would be a megalodon tooth.
how big are they? maybe they're cetacean (whale/dolphin/porpoise) vertebrae.

Well they are fused together I think 4 of 'em. Woth 4 or maybe 5 ribs. About 5 inches or so. Bigger then human.

every vertebra or the whole thing? if it's every vertebra than it must be a cetacean or something because that's pretty darn big... if it's the whole thing... they don't sound bigger than human vertebrae

Well I can't really tell where one ends and another begins. I's all fused together so no holes. The entire thing is 7 inches (ignore last measurement). The vertebrae have two side/by side ridges at least on one. Like on an Aligator's back. And the entire thing is one one plane (not curved like a small animal. So it was at least as big as a human. Maybe there are only three vertibrae. It is really hard to tell but definatly 4-5 ribs.

interesting... I'll wait for a pic (take many pics lol). sounds weird.

hey Tre if yah run across some nice shark teeth and such, ive got some nice Montana moss agate nodules i can trade.

What do you count as nice? I mean how big? And what species. We mostly get (I think sand shark) they are curved towards the front. Occasionally (once in a blue moon) we get hammerhead teeth. Most are and inch or less. I can't think of but one or two that are over that size.

by nice i mean in good shape(was refering to fossils) heck even modern ones would be cool. im a long ways from the ocean. i realize most would be around an inch. i can get yah agate nodules up to around a pound or so. most look like a potatoe but when sliced open you can get stuff that looks like this

Montana moss agate jewlery

pmed you.
Well geocities is not uploading well tonight. So I will try again tommorrow. I have no idea how well these shots will comeout. I must warn you that the entire fossil is dark and molded together and so seeing things in the phtos are quite a bit harder then real life.

Back