Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Auction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SRiannaJr @ May 24 2005,1:31)]I know it was for a good cause, but pardon my French when I say that I've seen monkey poop fights at the zoo that were more organized than this auction. Good work.
    Obviously we're all entitled to our own opinions.

My opinion is very different from yours. I think the auction was organized very well with one significant piece of miscommunication. Due to the timing, this miscommunication had a destabilizing effect on some people but that does not change the fact that it was one "ooops".

Otoh, the auction provided:
    - an opportunity for a number of people to get plants, seeds, jerky and many other things that they may not have been able to get otherwise
    - a unique form of entertainment
    - a source of funds for a very good cause

In my book, the glass half-full vs half-empty debate is pretty clearly on the side of the glass almost completely full. We can choose to focus on the small part that didn't quite go the way we all expected or focus on all the positives that are coming out of the experience.

I wish all the decisions I need to make were this easy... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ron for your effort.. trust me it there is nothing wrong with my browers or my browser using a cached copy.

Perhaps it is because when I view the main page I am considered a guest and not logged in. I haven't bothered to try and log in and every time I do and return to the main page it still considers me not logged in. I do find it hard to believe though that noone else doesn't see the entire auction forum listed anymore.

SRiannaJr.. you are so way out of line with your comments. Be really glad I no longer moderate here! BTW bypassing the filter is not something the moderators appreciate.

Tony

Edit.. ok once I logged in and could view the forum main page as a member and not a guest I could see the auction forum. I guess it's not a major issue since most people are logged in and I don't recall any non Terraforum members bidding..
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That "one" oops had to do with when the auction actually ended! Call me crazy but that is the single most important element in setting up an auction. I ended up losing a bid because of a change in the ending time...sad thing is that I would have bid way more had the end time remained consistent which would have meant more money to the charity.

With that said, I hope alot of money was raised and that most people ended up winning the plants they thought they won.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony,

Let's get something straight...I'm not out of line by any stretch. I am a stand up guy and I followed the rules of the auction as initially stated...and then the rules were changed...that's so bush-league it's ridiculous!

As for the filter, I didn't bypass it, my initial wording was sh$%, which was in fact filtered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bypassing the filter is using symbols quotes or other means to get your word in that the filter is designed to stop. so there ya go..

And yes you are so way out of line with your comments about the auction and the monkey/zoo comment. I am sure they purposely closed the auction early and then decided to add another day just to screw you out of your winning bid.. get real. This is all done by volunteers on their own time and sometimes mistakes happen, that's life.

You could have easily put on a higher bid on Sunday so that it would have been unlikely you would have been outbid on Monday if you were unable to view the auction at the closing Monday night.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed Tony, he was out of line, arrogant, ungrateful, but lucky that you are not still a moderator.

Some people, jeez.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Edit.. ok once I logged in and could view the forum main page as a member and not a guest I could see the auction forum. I guess it's not a major issue since most people are logged in and I don't recall any non Terraforum members bidding..
    I think there is an option someplace to either stay logged in or have the forum look for cookies to recognize you. I haven't logged in since I started... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] (another obvious non-techie answer) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Quote[/b] ]Thanks Ron for your effort.. trust me it there is nothing wrong with my browers or my browser using a cached copy.
    Seemed too simple to actually be the correct answer [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_t_32.gif[/img] I think I probably need to move back to the sidelines - at least as far as techie stuff goes... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In reference to the filter, check the log, I did it in my reply to you on purpose, I never did it before that so I wasn't sure what you were talking about.

I appreciate the fact that people volunteered their time for a good cause, believe me I'm very familiar with that, however nobody likes getting jerked around.

After being contacted by the seller, a really nice guy by the way, both thinking I had won the bid, I mailed the payment first thing this morning. Then an hour later I find out I hadn't won because of the extension due to time zones differences or whatever. So I ended up having to cancel the check.

I guarantee you I'm not the only one that feels jerked around, charity or not. It's not sour grapes, believe me, in fact I know I way overpaid for one item. It's the principle.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast