What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auction

Just a note that unless you have a previous link to the auction forum.  You can't see it from the main forum page!  I had to dig through my history from yesterday that linked to one of the auction items, in order to work my way to see the auction threads.

at least I can't see it.. but then when I am on the main forum page it says I am not logged in but when I go to any forum I am.. go figure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ May 24 2005,11:05)]Just a note that unless you have a previous link to the auction forum. You can't see it from the main forum page! I had to dig through my history from yesterday that linked to one of the auction items, in order to work my way to see the auction threads.

at least I can't see it.. but then when I am on the main forum page it says I am not logged in but when I go to any forum I am.. go figure.
Hit the refresh button on your browser (on Netscape it's the arrow pointing up and to the left - it's the button to the left of the 'X').

If you do not do that, your browser will utilize a saved version of the page from a previous time (this may be configurable in preferences) and confuse you completely.

People w/ true technical knowledge - please feel free to give Tony accurate info (vs what I'm doing)
smile_l_32.gif

I know it was for a good cause, but pardon my French when I say that I've seen monkey poop fights at the zoo that were more organized than this auction. Good work.

"poop" you've got to be kidding me? Let's see if "crap" works.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SRiannaJr @ May 24 2005,1:31)]I know it was for a good cause, but pardon my French when I say that I've seen monkey poop fights at the zoo that were more organized than this auction. Good work.
Obviously we're all entitled to our own opinions.

My opinion is very different from yours. I think the auction was organized very well with one significant piece of miscommunication. Due to the timing, this miscommunication had a destabilizing effect on some people but that does not change the fact that it was one "ooops".

Otoh, the auction provided:
- an opportunity for a number of people to get plants, seeds, jerky and many other things that they may not have been able to get otherwise
- a unique form of entertainment
- a source of funds for a very good cause

In my book, the glass half-full vs half-empty debate is pretty clearly on the side of the glass almost completely full. We can choose to focus on the small part that didn't quite go the way we all expected or focus on all the positives that are coming out of the experience.

I wish all the decisions I need to make were this easy...
smile.gif

Thanks Ron for your effort.. trust me it there is nothing wrong with my browers or my browser using a cached copy.  

Perhaps it is because when I view the main page I am considered a guest and not logged in.  I haven't bothered to try and log in and every time I do and return to the main page it still considers me not logged in.  I do find it hard to believe though that noone else doesn't see the entire auction forum listed anymore.

SRiannaJr.. you are so way out of line with your comments.  Be really glad I no longer moderate here!  BTW bypassing the filter is not something the moderators appreciate.

Tony

Edit.. ok once I logged in and could view the forum main page as a member and not a guest I could see the auction forum. I guess it's not a major issue since most people are logged in and I don't recall any non Terraforum members bidding..

That "one" oops had to do with when the auction actually ended! Call me crazy but that is the single most important element in setting up an auction. I ended up losing a bid because of a change in the ending time...sad thing is that I would have bid way more had the end time remained consistent which would have meant more money to the charity.

With that said, I hope alot of money was raised and that most people ended up winning the plants they thought they won.

Steve

Tony,

Let's get something straight...I'm not out of line by any stretch. I am a stand up guy and I followed the rules of the auction as initially stated...and then the rules were changed...that's so bush-league it's ridiculous!

As for the filter, I didn't bypass it, my initial wording was sh$%, which was in fact filtered.

Bypassing the filter is using symbols quotes or other means to get your word in that the filter is designed to stop. so there ya go..

And yes you are so way out of line with your comments about the auction and the monkey/zoo comment. I am sure they purposely closed the auction early and then decided to add another day just to screw you out of your winning bid.. get real. This is all done by volunteers on their own time and sometimes mistakes happen, that's life.

You could have easily put on a higher bid on Sunday so that it would have been unlikely you would have been outbid on Monday if you were unable to view the auction at the closing Monday night.

Agreed Tony, he was out of line, arrogant, ungrateful, but lucky that you are not still a moderator.

Some people, jeez.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Edit.. ok once I logged in and could view the forum main page as a member and not a guest I could see the auction forum. I guess it's not a major issue since most people are logged in and I don't recall any non Terraforum members bidding..

I think there is an option someplace to either stay logged in or have the forum look for cookies to recognize you. I haven't logged in since I started...
confused.gif
(another obvious non-techie answer)
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thanks Ron for your effort.. trust me it there is nothing wrong with my browers or my browser using a cached copy.
Seemed too simple to actually be the correct answer
smile_t_32.gif
I think I probably need to move back to the sidelines - at least as far as techie stuff goes...
confused.gif

In reference to the filter, check the log, I did it in my reply to you on purpose, I never did it before that so I wasn't sure what you were talking about.

I appreciate the fact that people volunteered their time for a good cause, believe me I'm very familiar with that, however nobody likes getting jerked around.

After being contacted by the seller, a really nice guy by the way, both thinking I had won the bid, I mailed the payment first thing this morning. Then an hour later I find out I hadn't won because of the extension due to time zones differences or whatever. So I ended up having to cancel the check.

I guarantee you I'm not the only one that feels jerked around, charity or not. It's not sour grapes, believe me, in fact I know I way overpaid for one item. It's the principle.

i think it went off quite well, so what if there was a slight mix up, thats life.

another good point of the auction, it seems to have drawn in a few new members. i have chatted with acouple of them to a limited extent. i think the advertising done by some of the members here did alot of good.

over paid? LOL! last year i bid i think $36 on a plug of U. paulinea(which i didnt win, i think it went for $45), a plug i could have purchased from Tony for $15 heck i could have got 2 different clones for what i bid. deals werent the point of the auction

All in all I think this is a great forum with a lot of useful information from people with years of experience.

CAPSLOCK...it is not arrogance or ungratefulness, which I'm not sure why I would be either having entered into the auction knowing I would probably overpay but for a good cause. I'm merely stating my experience in the "Discussion" forum. It's OK to disagree with people...that's life, so just relax.

Good effort. Just consider my comments constructive feedback.

Understood Rattler. As I said, I knew I was going to overpay and I'm totally fine with it because I support the cause. With that said, I'm just a little disappointed with the rule changes towards the end. I've just never seen that done with an auction before nor can you expect people to stay online for 24 hours in case you decide to extend it or cut it short, or whatever.

Guys look, I may have come off a little aggressive and I apologize, but you really can't see my point at all? I know the charity would have made more money from me.

SRiannaJr, I can see where you may be a tad dissapointed in not being there to snipe at the end of the auction. (Or to confirm your bid is safe from snipers) All you can do is place a bid that you hope is big enough to win.
Sorry you didn't win. But, i don't see how having it a day shorter would have brought in more money. The point is, this whole thing appears to have brought in alot of good monies. Hopefully you can maybe aquire the plant you want so bad by offering a trade in the trade forum?
Good luck and good growing,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

It's fine. I'll get the plant either way, I just thought it would have been better if the money went to charity. The difference that it would have made was that I had the high bid and was willing to bid more if I had to and the auction ended (supposedly).

Anyway, let's move on, it's all good. Thanks Andrew for not getting defensive. Like I said, I hope alot of money was raised and they're able to do some good with it.

Steve

I do apologize for the problem with the ending the time but it was just a mistake. The extension was to try to make it up to people who got cut out of bidding time. The auction time change was "advertised" in at least 3-4 places. That's all we could do...we can't PM every single member involved in the auction.

The one thing about a mistake is that you learn from it. Next year we will make sure the ending time is not confusing AND we will probably end it earlier in the evening so folks don't have to stay up too late. Hopefully that will avoid any similar problems in the future.

I thank everyone who participated...from listers, to bidders, to winners. Every person made his or her contributions to a great cause.

THANK YOU PAK for all you've done. I say three cheers for PAK!! All who agree, chime in with your comments.
smile.gif

Back