What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is so funny

"When ever I am home alone I open a can of Sardienes.  Why?  Because Sardienes are good for you.  They have a lot of DNA which is something we're supposed to eat a lot of".  I remember it was quoted in the Gainsville paper but I can't remember who said it besides it was some lady.

Edit: forgot the clairifyer. I think she meant protein. I mean I guess Sardienes have a lot of DNA but so do most other multi-cellular creatures.

LOL, that's great. For some reason, when I read that, I imagine John Madden's voice.
~Joe

But everything we eat has DNA. Unless it's plastic....or rocks. There's a guy at work who has sardine sandwiches every day for lunch. Heats them in the microwave. Smells BAD.

yes but some have more DNA than others. wait... no... eggs have... do eggs have multiple nuclei like those huge amoebas? or like slime molds? hmm.... yes... they must... otherwise the size would make it impossible... ok ... lol.

Umm Alpha I think she meant "Protein" not DNA. Oh and eggs are one cell so only one set of DNA so most other living organisms have "more" DNA

yes but things that big need more nuclei, like amoebas (who have many nuclei), so that they can produce more proteins and stuff. one nucleus can't control all of the cell.

Yeah but think about it. Is a million celled Sardiene going to have more nuclei then an amoeba. I am not sure but I though amoebas maxed out at 5-10 and then had to divide. I know muscle cells have multiple nuclei that's actually the whole bases for what mono-nucleous does. It destroys all but one nuclei

I wasn't saying an amoeba has more nuclei (some can have a hundred or so), I was saying that eggs would have the same concentration of DNA as sardines would.

Now that the joke has been killed, who feels like kicking it a few times for good measure?

Should we drop kick or just normal
smile_n_32.gif

To end the argument: Eggs are considered one "cell" but it all depends. The yolk of the egg is ovum (the yolk is the actual cell, the white is just there for energy). The egg is fertilized inside the chicken before the white and the shell are added. In that EXACT moment it is considered one cell but by the time the whites have been added (and the shell) and the eggs is layed, the egg has already divided into millions of cells.

Yes the egg is one cell. No it isn't one cell.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ May 25 2005,5:45)]LOL, that's great. For some reason, when I read that, I imagine John Madden's voice.
~Joe
no way!

hahah me too I was reading that pictureing Frank caliendo protraying Madden saying that.... HAHAHAH

good times...

oh yea the yolk is the energy.... the white is there to act as suspension fluid.

Oh jeez no one can post a joke here.

of course, the chicken eggs we eat are only one cell since they haven't been fertilized.
That also doesn't settle the argument of wether the egg that hasn't been fertilized yet has only one nucleus or many.
I don't get it... ok... eggs are big (chicken eggs or ostrich or whatever), so if some amoebas (which are millions of times smaller) have hundreds of nuclei because they're so big, then eggs should also have many nuclei... however... if eggs DO have a lot of nuclei, then they would have to be fertilized by a ridiculous amount of sperm which of course doesn't happen because the genetic stuff and blah blah... ok so... it must only have one nucleus... unless of course only the germinal disk is the one controling everything and eventually just eats the other nuclei to feed on them...
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/birds/info/chicken/egg.shtml
and it doesn't look like the yolk is the actual cell. To me that looks like there's this sac with food inside (yolk) attached to the ova. then a sperm comes along and fertilizes it. It starts to grow while at the same time layers of egg white and eggshell are added, it's layed, it feeds on the yolk, multiplies, and a chicken is born... what happens to the egg white though? if the chicken only fed on the egg yolk then the finished chicken would be as big as the egg yolk... so it must also feed on the egg white...
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mole00/mole00483.htm
aha! that still doesn't completely clear up the nucleus/DNA issue though. But I'm betting it only has one nucleus.

Umm Alpha I don't deal in egg issues (this is normally no a topic or discussion) but maybe you should email some doctor they would more then likely know. See if we were discussing the DNA itself I would have plently to say.

Back