Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Hooray for our legal system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozzy said, "Just think what would have happen if just a few of the teachers at Columbine had concealed weapons." I guess things would have turned out differently. But that only happens if a few teachers at every school are carrying guns and a few people in every factory, grocery store and post office are too. A few drivers on every road and a few riders in every bus. A few fans at every stadium and concert. That doesn't make me feel safer.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they have been trained, I would feel safer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get paid a yearly bonus for carring a weapon while off-duty. Obviously the citizens of my state feel the need to throw a little extra money at a few people knowing that their are trained plain-clothes people on the street with a pistol.
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (aprilh @ June 06 2005,7:20)]Someone please explain to me why anyone in the USA has the "right" to own an AK-47? Over-compensation for something lacking? That's my theory! Rifles, shotguns...ok...those are actually used for hunting, and I have no problem with them. Hell, I hunted things when I was a kid...gun and bow and arrow. People who live in rural areas, and people who go hunting actually have use for them.
    That would be the 2nd amendment.

The entire point of the second amendment is not to allow people firearms for hunting or personal defense against criminals. The raison d'etre of the second amendment is to protect the citizens from the government, to give the government reason to pause before embarking on a tyrannical action.

In the 18th century, I believe the intent was to have any and all weapons of war at the disposal of the citizenry.

In the 21st century, the age of highly advanced, extremely destructive and very complicated weapons systems, I don't think the average citizen should have access to tanks, mobile artillery, stealth bombers and weapons of mass destruction; the 2nd amendment in modern times has pretty much been relegated to small arms.

I'm not sure, however, if the US government ever decided to declare war on its own citizens, what good m-16s would do against a fully equipped and trained US military. I guess that is where the national guard comes in.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just joined in:
    One major problem with having a gun in your house is that if you do use it to shoot and kill an intruder, do you really expect that the legal system will simply say 'okay, he did it in self-defense' and let you go off? I seriously doubt it, I would expect a major court battle with plenty of expenses and stress. Especially if the intruder is unarmed (many experienced burgler know better than to arm themselves because that turns their crime into armed robbery if they are caught). Remember, the legal system does blow!
    Plus, killing someone is not something to be taken lightly, in most cases, it does come with it's own load of stress--no matter how tough you think you are (most soldiers are pretty tough to me, and they experience a lot of stress from having to kill people). De-humanizing the criminal and satisfying a desire for revenge may not make things better either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really it depends on the state. In Texas you may use letheal force providing you're being threated on you're own property, and it is at night. Yes, you will have a grand jury review you're case, but providing you followed the law to the letter it is pretty much a open, and shut case. This happed to a friend of mine about a year ago. He was incarserated for about 6 hours after the shooting, and it took the grand jury about 2 Mo. in the end it was deemed justified. Texas is also a conceiled weapon state. Theft, and carjackings still occur but have dropped dramaticaly.
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a good point...it a very serious matter that you have to consider. There is a sain that goes "Cold hands - Self-Defense, Hot hands - Murder". Can you convinse a jury that it was self-defense? A lot of people need to know your options and laws. Again, I think taking a gun course on self-defense is VERY IMPORTANT but a lot of people say I do not need it. Which is crap...

Odd that Pyro only posted once here... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Travis @ June 07 2005,10:08)]Odd that Pyro only posted once here... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]
    Not really. I said that my original purpose was to vent and I did not expect such a huge debate to ensue. I have been following I just have not felt the need to say anything more on the matter. You all don't need my to throw in my 2 cents to keep this thread going [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] In fact you all seem to be doing fine without me. And I must applaude you all for remaining civil, I appreciate that given how many other touch threads degenerate into name calling.

In the end I will do what I chose. Some will probably argee with my decision and others won't and to both I would say the same thing: Whether you approve or disapprove does not change my decision. I respect your opinion, kindly respect mine. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast