Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Hooray for our legal system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (seedjar @ May 27 2005,2:32)]JB, I think Scott may mean 'death penalty.'
    ~Joe
    Correct; sorry, I post on a political forum a lot, and this is a typical abbreciation. I should have explained the acronym the first time I used it.

In my posts above, DP = death penalty
    LWOP = life without parole
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Starman @ May 27 2005,5:25)]I cant believe so called 'great' people would willingly murder somebody.
    Its MURDER for god sake! KILLING somebody for taking something that belongs to you is a bit much, and the law wont care whether it was a burglar or not!
    I dont see how all of you could KILL somebody like that and live with yourselves for the rest of your life.
    Self-defense != murder.

Murder is the unwarranted taking of human life.

In self-defense, it is not unwarranted.

If I were to have to shoot a home intruder, it would not be for taking my stuff. It would be for being a direct physical threat to the safety of my family. I can't gauge intent. I don't know if he is there to burglarize or to violent act/murder. Even if I don't SEE a gun on him, I don't know he doesn't have one concealed, and I'm not going to be stupid and give him an opportunity to produce it. To me, a fair fight is when I am heavily armed, and my attacker is not.

And, starman, in almost every state, the law WILL care that he was a burglar.

Quote[/b] ]I dont see how all of you could KILL somebody like that and live with yourselves for the rest of your life.
    I would rather live with guilt than die because I failed to protect myself.

Seedjar, if the martial arts works for you, more power to you. Most people don't have the time to learn that. A firearm takes less time to master. And I fully agree with you: Marksmanship should never substitute for good judgement.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A death penalty does cost more because a death penalty get an automatic appeal at tax payers expense, even when the defendant wants to die.
    If a person make a choice that he wants to break into my house, I take that as a threat to my life. If he is brave or desperate enough to come into my house I can only assume that he's also brave enough to do physical harm to me or my family. I will do whatever is needed to stop him.
    Rampuppy, you really need to be careful with your bat. If you are ever forced to use it, you could be in some serious trouble. I don't know the laws in Texas, but every state is different. Say a 5'8 180lbs man breaks into your house. He has a knife and threatens you with it. You take him out with your bat.
    A prosecutor could argue that you modified a bat to make it into a deadly weapon because you were looking to hurt or kill a person. The knife was similar to knives that you had in your kitchen, so you must have placed the knife by the suspect. You are much bigger than "unarmed" man so you could have just restrained him until the police got there. You could be found guilty of attempted murder or even 2nd degree murder.

I know that you may think this is far fetcthed, but there have been cases where the prosecution proved that the defendant showed deadly intent because they used bullets that had a reputation of being more deadly than normal bullets. An example of that is the black talon bullets. The bullets were coated with Teflon. The media said that the Teflon made the bullets penetrate bullet proof vest, which made them cop killers, which is untrue. The Teflon was to reduce friction in the barrel. Winchester SXT bullets are the same as black talons, but don't carry the bad reputation.
    So to sum this up. If you if you used your bat, it could mean that you modified the bat to make it more deadly, so when you use it, a prosecutor could make it sound like you were looking and waiting for a chance to inflict as much injury as you could on any subject that walked into your house.

Don't get me wrong, I support your right to repeatedly put that bat upside of anybody that poses a treat to you or your family. The legal system is made up of people that is looking to further their career. A prosecutor would love to win a high profile case like that.

By the way my gun of choice is my .45 auto. The bullet is big enough to take the subject down but has low velocity so when it hits the target it stays in the body. My bullet of choice is hyro-shoks. It's what most cops use.
    For women I suggest .44 special. It's small enough to put in their purse, and has low kick back. Like the .45, it has big bullets with low velocity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the bad people have them so why shouldn't me and all the other Moms out there have them.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife was anti gun when I met her. You should have seen her reaction the first time I met her and I had my 9mm with me.
    She now owns a .44 special that I bought for her, and she loves shooting it.
    When we met, the only meat she ate was fish and chicken. I introduced her to eastern NC barbeque, and now she eats all kinds. She even went to a Game feed at a club I belong to and she ate deer, bear, rabbit, moose, and elk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (0zzy @ May 27 2005,12:02)]I don't know the laws in Texas, but every state is different. Say a 5'8 180lbs man breaks into your house. He has a knife and threatens you with it. You take him out with your bat.
    A prosecutor could argue that you modified a bat to make it into a deadly weapon because you were looking to hurt or kill a person. The knife was similar to knives that you had in your kitchen, so you must have placed the knife by the suspect. You are much bigger than "unarmed" man so you could have just restrained him until the police got there. You could be found guilty of attempted murder or even 2nd degree murder.
    Texas may be about the safest state for home defense. If you kill somebody who invades your home, with any sort of weapon, you are generally pretty safe. I think it would have to be a very shocking case, eg, you bludgeon the criminal 25 times, or tie him up and THEN shoot him, before you'd have to worry about prosecution.

If, in good conscience, you do the least required with the weapon at hand to render him a non-threat, you should be safe in Texas.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ May 27 2005,12:39)]I am not a violent person, I am a realist and a MOM.
    My Grow List

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to point out that, just because you are a small person, or a woman, or elderly or whatever, it doesn't mean your only option is a gun, or that you can't defend yourself hand-to-hand when your attacker has more physical strength than you. I train with girls half my size and old men three times my age, and they're all very capable of throwing me a few meters across the mat. I'm not saying everybody should be a martial artist, as I understand how impractical that can be. I'm not suggesting that anybody go out and spend ten years studying like me, but I do think that most people should take an exhaustive course in self-defense sometime in their life, at least a few months of it, so that they are aware of their options beyond shooting someone or crushing their head in with a bat. Having a gun helps in some situations, but becomes a risk in others, so I think it's important to know what you're capable of so you can minimize that risk. Also, children can learn to defend themselves effective far before they have the responsibility (or even physical capacity) to handle a firearm.
    Long story short, a gun is very effective in certain situations, but has limits. What happens if there's a hostage? What if somebody gets ahold of you, and your kid grabs your gun to try to help? What if the gun jams, or you can't get to it? Would you rather be panicing, or preparing your contingency plan? Self-defense training isn't often as much about learning special techniques as it is learning to handle yourself in a scary situation. When someone has you by the throat and you feel your vision fading, there is very little help that a gun can give you. But you can knee your attacker in the crotch, provided you're thinking straight enough to remember to do so before you pass out.
    It's not that anybody doesn't know how to put their knee in somebody's crotch - it's that when you're scared, you think about those things that are familiar. To most people, fighting is not familiar. If a gun is the only thing familiar to you, then you're as good as dogmeat once it's not pointed at your assailant. When I get on the mat with new students at my dojo and we start doing wrestling techniques, most of them turn into complete dummies. Just the act of touching another person without a familial or romantic context is enough to make untrained people freeze up entirely. Can anybody say, without having been in such a situation before, that they would know what to do, or make the right decision to do it, or act on that decision before it's too late? For many of you, this is not only your life and your home at stake, but your partners, children, and families. Is it really wise to put all those eggs in one basket?
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast