Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hooray for our legal system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (seedjar @ May 27 2005,2:03)]I do think that most people should take an exhaustive course in self-defense sometime in their life, at least a few months of it, so that they are aware of their options beyond shooting someone or crushing their head in with a bat.
    Totally agreed.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I cant believe so called 'great' people would willingly murder somebody.
    Its MURDER for god sake! KILLING somebody for taking something that belongs to you is a bit much, and the law wont care whether it was a burglar or not!
    I dont see how all of you could KILL somebody like that and live with yourselves for the rest of your life.
    Starman, until you are a husband and especially a father, you CANNOT make such a statement.

I do not own a gun. I do own a few swords & axes, but they're not really accessible. I, however, have two black belts (working towards another promotion in one of them), and will thoroughly annihilate anyone who breaks into my house. I don't care if it's a teenager. Done. This person is a direct threat to the safety of my family, and if I go to jail for it, so be it.

Now, this may make me seem like a violent person. I am not. I have not reacted with violence to any situation since a was a young child. That's 25 years or so without a fight, including my teenage years. The idea of hurting another person, let alone killing them, in abhorent to me, but if it's them or me/my family, it will definately be them. I will leave nothing to chance.

17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (0zzy @ May 27 2005,9:02)]A prosecutor could argue that you modified a bat to make it into a deadly weapon because you were looking to hurt or kill a person. The knife was similar to knives that you had in your kitchen, so you must have placed the knife by the suspect. You are much bigger than "unarmed" man so you could have just restrained him until the police got there. You could be found guilty of attempted murder or even 2nd degree murder.
    An excellent discussion of this type of legal liability is given here. At first I was very shocked to see how little legal protection there was for the defending party in a violent crime, but I generally agree with the idea that the law should discourage the use of unneccessary force - this is not to say that it's doing a good job of doing so. Nonetheless, misunderstandings happen (though not often in the case of home invasion,) and you don't want the guilt of an accident hanging over your head for the rest of your life.
    After the police had taken my statement when I was mugged, they informed me that I could be charged with aggrivated assault for what I did if the mugger came forward and wanted to press charges. Fortunately, about two years later, nothing has come of it. But that does go to show what a fine line you walk in taking any action - all in all, you're often just as well giving up your money or property or whatever, if only to avoid legal retaliation. It's a sad state of affairs.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm tired of guns, I wouldn't own one, I would not knowingly permit one on my property. I am sick of guns. The last neighborhood I lived in was all gunplay, a lot of the time. Anyone who loves guns would have loved my old neighborhood...it would be a virtual paradise for a gun nut.

Funny how some(and I said some) people who live in the safest neighborhoods have the deepest paranoia about crime.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aprihl,

if you lived in a neighborhood where people are brandishing weapons all over the place, then I am happy you moved. That is not a place a truly responsible gun owner would feel comfortable. You probably have no idea who the responsible gun owners are that live and work with you, they don't feel it is a an empowerment or to make up for something they are lacking in other areas, it is a tool that they maintain, train, and will use if neccessary. Every responsible gun owner I know spends time at the range every year to keep their training up, they maintain their weapons impeccably, and have never uttered a word about their weapons, outside hunting discussions, to anyone who didn't ask. Don't assume that because someone owns a gun we want to live in a neighborhood full of them. Only a fool would want that. There are three people I trust in the world to hold a gun around me and not hurt me, one is my Dad, the other is my Brother, and the third is Me. actually, there is a 4th.

As for killing an intruder being murder, Starman, that is your perspective, and your welcome to it. I think it is narrowminded, but I can respect your opinion. Just think on this. If someone breaks into your home to steal your TV, what is more important to you as the defendero f your home? What he came to get? or what he is potentially armed with in order to make sure he gets it? People who are willing to invade your home have allready shown they lack a certain moral charachter. I wouldn't trust them to take what they want and leave quietly for all the world.

And as for having my modified bat, you think a Gun exists without intent to kill? If a judge asked me why I modified my bat, I would simply say "In order to inflict the maximum amount of damage in the shortest period possible. My goal is to render the intruder harmless by any means neccessary in order to protect my family." while smearing an intruders head with a bat seems far more horrible and violent than shooting someone with a gun, is it really? the outcome is the same, both intents are the same.

You are judgeing the action, not the result. The result is protection of ones home and family. One of my loved ones has been violent act, that tends to change your perspective on acceptable levels of violence when it comes to self defense.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that I agree with everything that you just said in your last post. I especially agree with you about using your bat. However if the unthinkable ever happened, my opinion won't mean anything. It's up to the DA, and then a jury.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I too agree with all that RamPuppy has said. Which I guess means I agree with Ozzy... Which isn't possible. Ozzy has got to be wrong right? I mean. ...I'm pretty sure he's a big ole trouble maker. hahahahaha jking witcha OzzMan!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    luckily I live in texas. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast