What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hooray for our legal system

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
As some of you may recall, last July our garage was burglarized by three guys. One was detained and recently went through the legal process.

So why do I say the legal system blows? Well, first there is the fact that the whole time the guy was claiming that his truck was stolen and so he was not guilty. The case drags on and on for 10 months and then on Tuesday he decides to roll over and admit he was guilty because the public defender realized that if my wife went onto the stand she would crusify his case.

But that isn't why the system sucks. The system sucks because this guy admitted he was guilty, admitted that he filed a false report about his truck being stolen and all he gets is probation. What do I get? I get to be happy he got probation and $700 worth of my stuff that I DO NOT get restitution for. Now can someone explein to me how it is possible for a man to admit to burglarizing my house and yet not have to make ammends for what he took? I mean seriously!! Where in Hades is the justice in that. He breaks the law and gets off clean and I get screwed!!

I am half of the mind to get a conceled weapons permit so if something like this ever happens again I can just shoot the SOB and see if he can say he was not there when the pull the dang bullet out of his leg.

See if you lived in Florida...

welp as far as prison time, the prisons are full of non-violet offenders due to maditory sentances for drug crimes. doesnt really matter that you had a couple of joints and you were in your house with no intent to sell. lots of states will give yah 3 years if you have a poor lawyer. thats also the reason alot of the child molesters are out, the prisons are full of ppl busted for having drugs on them. money should go twords treatment for NON-VIOLENT drug offences and they get community service and such, not prison time. America is loosing the drug war, we need to admit it. as far as the legal system, it got screwed up by a bunch of lawyers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ May 26 2005,12:37)]I am half of the mind to get a conceled weapons permit so if something like this ever happens again I can just shoot the SOB and see if he can say he was not there when the pull the dang bullet out of his leg.
You live in Georgia, right?

One of the gun-friendliest states in the Union. Get the gun. Take a safety class, practice regularly at a range, and get a gun safe.

And don't aim for the leg.

* it's easier to miss than center-of-mass.
* a lightly wounded man is scared, and more likely to return fire, if armed.
* dead men cannot sue, or contradict your story to the police.

A grouping of three rounds, center-of-mass, will drop him, and ensure he will not be a future threat to you or to society.

excuse me? are you suggesting that Pyro commits murder on his own property?

no jsut if the guy threatens him. And unload the clip, reload and unload it again. Self defense.

If you hit center mass, you have a higher probability of killing the individual. While it is a drag being burglarised, because I have been burglarised twice, to kill someone for taking material stuff that can be replaced is kind of a bit much.

Home owners or renters insurance is a good thing to have. If the legal system disappoints you...at least your stuff gets replaced. My stereo, computer, camera and bass guitar all were replaced.

I say get a gun, if not something powerful something like a .22 or a .38 , that way if you do end up hitting the guy you have a lesser chance of it being fatal.

Its not murder if you kill someone while they're breaking into yoru house or attadking you.

Well at least you're not in california. If that would have happened to be the robber would have gotten a new place to live and I would be paying fines for letting him break into my house. Oh yea and I'd be put in jail for defending myself... even though I used an edge weapon or a staff.....
mad.gif

Well we would not be loseing the Drug war if we had harser punishments. I'm talking china here whihc in my opinion has some very interestin gpunishments. If you steel something you hand gets cut off right? Well I personally like:
If you violate any of these rules (there is a list) you get sent to jail until friday. On Friday you get in a truck to be driven around town. Mind that you will probibly get stuff thrown at you. Then you go down to the beach where the guards instruct you to either stand in a line or run into the ocean. You are then shot. But then the happy ending is your family has to pay rent for your prison cell, pay for your food, pay for your share of the gas, pay part of the salery of the firing squad and pay for the bullet. See if we did that to anyone who had drugs we would not need to worry about them anymore.

Pyro, although I truly detest guns and violence, if home security is your concern, a gun is the way to go. It so happens that in many states, the punishment for physically assaulting someone (using martial arts or other defense tactics) is often greater for pulling out a gun and shooting them (provided you were threatened) because when you get up there in front of a jury, they find it a lot more reasonable that you shot someone out of fear, rather than you ninja-assasinated them out of fear. To a juror, the question of self defense is, "If I were in the defendant's shoes, would I have reacted that way?" Most people aren't martial artists, nor are they familiar with hand-to-hand combat or the things that a martial artist thinks about when threatened. Most people are familiar with a gun, though, and in our gun-loving country we're raised from a young age to think that a gun is an effective, reasonable means of self-defense. Guns, however, come with the risk of falling into the hands of your attacker. As for your losses, have you taken this to civil court? It should be a relatively simple case if they confessed.
Tre, harsher punishment is a great idea, but would it pass by cruel and unusual punishment? Sadly, I don't see that happening any time soon (if it does, we'll have bigger problems to worry about anyways.) Generally speaking, that kind of punishment would cut down on any crime you applied it to! :) But if victimless crime like personal drug use is punished by death and fines to the family of the criminal, what kind of punishment will go for larceny, assault, murder or violent act?
While I do agree that (reformed) drug laws should have steeper punishments, I don't think it should be capitol punishment. Further strain on the administrative capacity of capitol punishment is the last thing we need. We don't need more prisoners, or more of the paperwork and red tape that would envetably be required to enforce the death penalty in America. I think that if we removed crimes of abuse from the capitol punishment system and created a system of precendents similar to those applied to defendants with mental illnesses, we'd have more than enough resources for everybody. Drug crimes worth prosecuting are usually money crimes, so the drug cases could probably create their own funding with fines. There should be steep fines for dealing, steeper fines and detainment for endangering others (DUIs, recklessness, etc.,) but only modest fines and mandatory treatment for repeat users. Drug problems are a different kind of social ill than violent crime, if you ask me - they come about for different (although sometimes related) reasons, and are effectively controlled in different ways.
Just my 2¢.
~Joe

I think most occupations has risks. I'm an electrician and everyday that I work I accept the risk that I may be hurt or killed by electrocution, falling, or a traffic accident. I know the risk and I accept them. Most occupations has risks that the person will be hurt or killed. Being a thief is the same. If you choose to break into my house you have accepted the risk that I will shoot you.
It's not murder. It's an occupational risk.

Oh I was just applying it to all violent crimes.

Hehe, way to go Ozzy, that's it exactly.
~Joe

do your research if your gonna get a gun, you want a lot muzzle velocity high caliber bullet. Easy in, messy out, won't go through walls and endanger loved ones and neighbors.

poor Travis probibly thinks we're insane

Always do your research. Some guns are not for beginners. Learn to use you gun. Always be safe.
I forgot to say in my last post, that the whole legal system needs to be stripped down and rebuilt. It was a very scary day when they let Martha Stewart out of prison. I stocked up on bullets that day.

we need a lawyer proof legal system, stick with a 38 revolver if you insist on a hand gun. however it takes LOTS and LOTS of practice to get decent with a handgun, not good, just decent. go with a cut down shotgun in 12 guage(18 inch barrel works good and is legal) and research some of the tactical loads out there. they put the old buckshot to shame as far as performance on target(read: idiot who broke in) and saftey for bystanders(read: your family)

Don't be crazy.  Everything's different when you're aiming at somebody's chest with your finger on the trigger.  It's dark, you're wound up, and you don't know who's in front of you or what's going to happen next.  The average person won't shoot, but the junkie/violent criminal robbing you doesn't share your moral dilemma and will have no problem pulling his trigger.

Lots of military and police training goes into conditioning people to not freak out in that situation.  An NRA shooting course or years of hunting means nothing.  Don't make family security decisions picturing Clint Eastwood saying, "make my day."

I don't agree with you there Herenorthere It's more like "Die you B$#$%$*".

I must disagree with herenorthere as well! I love Clint Eastwood and will emulate him whenever possible; his diverse acting has brought joy to millions. :p
~Joe

Back