What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you talk to your plants?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Do you talk to your plants? Or play music for them? Some people say that talking to your plants helps them to grow. I only talk to my plants to express my displeasure with them, so I don't think it works for me.
~Joe

Well I have personal experience (like many other members) that if you brag they will die. I have only talked to my N. clipeta x (clipeta x. enyma) to tell it to grow (insert obcenity) because I would like to see at least one pitcher before it dies. Now it has one leaf that looks like it's getting a pitcher. I hope thats a good sign not a bad one.

OK, so a couple people talk to their plants. Does anyone's plants talk to them?

Noooooooo............not usually. Plus my name is not seymour. They only talk to me when I do something stupid, to give me advice. Like today I accidentally impailed my finger on my bical (stupid, stupid, stupid) and after screaming a few times from the pain I distinctly heard it say "stop yelling or I'll..." well I did not listen after that. And it was definatly not the neigbor that was outside screaming. And that hurt like the Dickens. Yes sir Charles is a cruel one.
Just kidding (about the talking part, not Charles he was a very cruel man
smile_n_32.gif
)

I only talk to my plants when I'm mad at them for not growing/flowering.I just yell GROW DARNIT GROW!!! As for them talking to me...I don't think so.
laugh.gif
~Niki~
laugh.gif

Imagines:

To a N.villosa: Grow %&*@it, or I'll pull the plug on the cooling system!

N. villosa: EEEP! (instantly sprouts an inch and produces 5 traps)

"He had heard about talking to plants in the early seventies, on Radio Four, and thought it an excellent idea. Although talking is perhaps the wrong word for what Crowley did.
What he did was put the fear of God into them.
More precisely, the fear of Crowley.
In addition to which, every couple of month Crowley would pick out a plant that was growing too slowly, or succumbing to leaf-wilt or browning, or just didn't look quite as good as the others, and he would carry it around to all the other plants. 'Say goodbye to your friend,' he'd say to them. 'He just couldn't cut it ...'
Then he would leave the flat with the offending plant, and return an hour or so later with a large, empty flower pot, which he would leave somewhere conspicuously around the flat.
The plants were the most luxurious, verdant, and beautiful in London. Also the most terrified."

Hehe, any of you other nuts know the book this came from?
laugh.gif

--Oh right, staying on topic... Well, it seems like I talk to my plants more than you guys (and gals) in that I don't shout at them when I want them to grow. I preffer to simply show some love and affection- and if that fails, then the "Crowley" method is always there to back me up.
smile_m_32.gif

Honestly, I find myself talking to them like they'll listen. I have some ivy growing on the windowsill, and it always gets stuck between the sliding glass. I often find myself saying things like, "Get out of there!" while pulling it out before I think, "Dude, it's a plant." I find myself doing this with animals, which comes naturally after living with very talkative birds, but the wierd part is I also talk to machines. :p
~Joe

What book is it. I know I read it I jsut can't remember the title. All the books sort of blur together

I curse at my plants when they do something undesired... like grow so much they shadow a smaller one....

I've been known to give one word commands like: "Live!!!!!!!" or "Flower!!!!" or "Germinate!!!!!!" Then there's: "you will NOT sail down the river this time!"

Tre, it's Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I love some of the humor in that book.
smile.gif

I talk to my plants, I even tell whether they're a boy or a girl, I dont generally yell at them, the only time I've yelled was when I ripped off a new pitcher on my S. leuco. wher I didnt even realize how it fell off

I don't talk to my plants. I didn't even look at that darn Darlingtonia I had for fear of making in resentful and sulky.

But You DO "genuflect in their general direction"!
laugh.gif

Back