What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Those little flys and crawling bugs

Does anyone else get them. The crawling bugs are quite strange but they do feed the Drosera. They look like tiny "pill bugs" but can jump about a foot. No they are not fleas but they must be from eggs in the soil. The little flys appear in generations and I only notice them because so many are being eaten by the pings. So does anyone know what I am talking about.

the flies I get are fungus gnats and the crawly thingies are springtails (the long jumping things) and mites (among some others)... but they have never caused me any trouble. In fact, they are eaten by my plants :p

Hum, sounds kind of like what I've been seeing on some of my FTS. I was a bit concerned at first, but they seem to do no harm. Mine are just tiny little specks of a bug. They never get much bigger than a speck, but then they mature in to flies. They do no harm so I let them stay.. Untill I get a Drosera in there.
smile_m_32.gif

I have the same ones. They look like fruit flies to me, they can fly around. They do provide a good source of food for my plants too.

my climate doesn really support those here even and i have never seen those. We do, however, have a miniscule rusty/golden-brown beetle that is found feeding on the soil but havnt built up much of a population and seem less abundant this season

are you sure it's a beetle and not a mite? I have miniscule golden/orangeish mites. I also had ones that reminded me of walking brains...
speaking of brains, i dissected a fetal pig in anatomy and brains aren't gray. they're cream colored.
smile_n_32.gif

beetle without a doubt, there about the size of adult fugus gnats( back before iletthe pot harboring them fry with the soil baking and cracking in the sun...muhahahA)

I

beetle without a doubt, there about the size of adult fugus gnats( back before iletthe pot harboring them fry with the soil baking and cracking in the sun...muhahahA)

I ts perfect size fro veiwing with am microscope

Back