User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What size plants do you send when you trade?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone. I'm realativly new here. I have been lurcking for about a month I wouls guess. I have posted a little, but nothing magor. I'm new to CP's. I'm an orchid grower and have an interest in CP's. I'm just curious to know when trades are made what is the average size of plants sent? 1/2 inch to an inch, 1 to 2 inches or larger? I'm mainly asking about sarracenia. In most peoples opinion is a sarracenia plant 1/2 inch tall with only 2 leave to small for trade? Especialy for a flowering sized orchid? I just want to get some other peoples opinion on this matter and make sure I wasn't over reacting. I figured I would ask the people with more experiance than I. Thanks everyone.

Josh
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a seedling :-\ I would not trade a orchid for that. Or even a few of those. The adverage size of a Sarra to trade I'd say is 8-14 inches... Since they are often divisions they would never be 1/2 inch tall... Oh! And welcome to the forum!!
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Josh! A Sarracenia that young might be worth it for a cultivar or hybrid of significance, but in my observation your typical, run-of-the-mill Sarr is worth $15-$30 as a nearly full grown adult. As for what is typically traded, we trade all sorts of things here; people send seedlings that size, but not usually for adult plants (certainly not adult plants that are as valuable as your average orchid.) But maybe some of the orchid growers will know better than I...
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome Joe and andrew. I kinda figured that, and don't feel as bad for getting the trader's parents involved with the trade. I'm not going to discredit the person involved, but I recently traded 5 flowering sized orchids for some CP, and I recieved 4 seedling Sarracenias. 3 were 1/2" in tall and one almost an inch tall. They were sent in a padded envelope and practicaly crushed when I received them. Only one of the Sarracenias is living now. Its an alta hybred is all I remember. and its 1/2 inch tall with 2 leaves/pitchers. Seems to be in suspended animation at the moment not doing anything. He didn't even send the Nepenthese that I really wanted and was most concerened with. Got together with 2 others he did the same thing to and contacted this person folks and it is getting resolved. Granted 3 of the 5 were NoID orchids they still were worth atleast $10 a piece. The price wasn't an issue with me it was the fact of sending 5 flowering sized plants for seedlings that were so small. This was even after I sent pictures of the plants to him prior to the trade being finished. Like I said it is being taken care of I just wanted to vent and get some other folks opinions, because this persons Mother said these were the same sized plants this person traded to CPer all the time. I just didnt buy that statement and thought I would ask if that was the general practice to send plants that small in trades or not. Thanks for the welcome and information. I definately will be around learning and hope I can help out in the orchid forum too. Thank everyone!!
    Josh
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to point out that if there are any problems with trading here in the forums that sometimes its a good thing to let us mods know if things dont get sorted out propperly.
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh, I would really like to know who to avoid in trading.

I have done many trades here, and only had one not go perfectly, but the counterparty bent over backwards to fix it, and it wasn't really his fault, anyway.

But if you feel that somebody dealt with you in bad faith, and you really had to hound them to have it made right, you really ought to alert the forum. Knowing their reputation could be tarnished is a good incentive to keep people honest, who need keeping honest. But I think most people here want to behave ethically anyway.

As far as what the proper size to trade is, i say any size is OK, as long as that information is disclosed fully!

And make sure you know how the counterparty plans to ship your package. I always use a sturdy priority mail box, and I usually pack smaller plants in 35-mm film canisters also.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Josh and welcome to the forums! I mainly have sundews, butterworts, and bladderworts, so we're talking about small plants, in general. But when I set up a trade, I just tell whomever if what I have a seedling or a mature plant. An ounce of prevention....

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually take pictures of the plants I intend to trade, so the other party knows exactly what they are getting.
    I have received some plants which are smaller then what I would have sent out and without knowing that they were going to be that small. If they live I do not care, but losing them would make me a little mad.
    Plus others sending small plants, this might be normal for them and what they expect in return.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast