What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live lfs

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I received a gallon-sized ziplock bag of live LFS last Fall and I am currently using at as a growing medium for a variety of leaf cuttings / pullings (D. filiformis, Mexican pings, VFT's, and Cephalotus follicularis.

The moss is growing nicely and seems to be doing a great job with providing good growing conditions for the leaves.

It is kept wet and is at a SE-facing window sill. The tips of the moss are turning dark. Is that normal? Is there too much light? It seems healthy, otherwise.

Could be too hot or too dry. My LFS grows in full sun in the pots with my Sarrs and does just fine until it starts to get dry. This week it's been withstanding low 90's and humidity in the teens, but the tips are a little brown (beige?) in the more exposed pots. Likewise, the LFS indoors grows quite vigorously in the cool/humid Nep tank under full lights, but in my D. binata pot it turns brown whenever I let it go without misting for more than a day or two.
Best luck,
~Joe

PS - I read somewhere that sphagnum grows better with a cool dormancy, although I don't think it's required.

One thing is for sure... it isn't too dry. I keep the tray in 2" of water.

When I read the sub title for this topic I thought it meant "clandestine advice" hee hee.
smile_n_32.gif

when you say that the spag tips are turning dark, which color? A dark healthy green is lovely, if you ask me. If you mean dark as in...algae/slimy, that's another story!

All is green but the blackish tips.

Elarwhis: cream soda?  
smile_m_32.gif

The dark tips I think are caused by water evaporating from the tip of the moss and leaving behind tannins(sp?) and minerals. I flood mine for a day and then rinse the moss thoroughly. That usually gets rid of most of it.

Steve, you're a genius! I'll give it a try.

If not it could be the speceis that turns very dark red mainly in fall but it could be confused.

Back