What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you care?

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Just looking around on ebay and ran across this picture.
3f_1_b.JPG

It's kind of funny that the top left picture is the exact picture I snapped of my plant and have on my website.
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/Cephalotus_follicularis.html

No one ever asked permission to use it.

Would something like that bother you?

Yes! If I could take pics like you, I would be bothered that someone profits from it. Did you contact the seller?

Maybe a little, since they're trying to sell something with it. But in general, I think if you put something out on the internet, you should expect to see copies of it start popping up.
~Joe

at least they could have asked first. nice site by the way.cephalotus are cool

Now I'm going to email this guy and ask he remove my pictures. If he would have asked first I would have said yes to using my pictures, but now NO.

Look what else I just found.
ab_1_b.JPG

Middle picture. Have a large one on my website and also in my sig below.
confused.gif

Found another. First image.

46_1_b.JPG

This guys name. rarexoticseeds

Maybe other need to check for there plants.

That's your Drosophyllum, right? Dude, I see that all over the place... you've got a lot of work cut out for ya.
Look on the bright side - plagarism is the highest form of complement. They wouldn't be stealing your photos if they weren't good.
~Joe

Steve, I don't know much (ok anything) about copyright of photos on the internet, but I often notice that people put a line on each page stating copyrights and must contact owner for permission to use.  I didn't see that on your site unless I missed that.  Of course, it won't stop someone from copying, but it might be a start.  Anyone with knowledge of this?

Update--just found this at a site called pdimages.com

Be Careful - No Copyright Notice is Necessary on Images

Since October 31, 1988, works no longer need a copyright notice to have copyright protection. This means any image you find on a web page may be copyrighted. The traditional notice, such as "Copyright 1989 XZV Co." or " ©1989 XZV Co." is no longer required. Most web site content has been created since 1988, so beware.

I don't know if this means images automatically have protection, or that you simply don't have to display it.

This person is using your photos to make a profit, so yes, I'd e-mail him and tell him he has 24 hours to get your photo off "his" site. Cease and Desist, blah, blah, blah.

If it was being used by a non-profit, 501 C-3..I don't think I'd be so upset. I've had non-profit Native Plant groups use my photos..and I don't really care..I just want the photo credit.

i'd be pissed off. especially if they directly linked. did he? then they'd be stealing your bandwidth and your picture.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ May 30 2005,11:17)]i'd be pissed off. especially if they directly linked. did he? then they'd be stealing your bandwidth and your picture.
No he did not direct link.
He would not be able to. I'm cheap and my site on Geocities is the free account, so remote linking is not allowed.

Heck yeah I would care! I would be pretty pi$$ed off,if he was or wasn't trying to sell something by using it.I agree,e-mail him/her and give him/her 24 hours to remove the pics.That's very wrong in my eyes
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
*Niki*

Hey, I know those plants! I just saw them on Sunday!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 30 2005,6:28)]Hey, I know those plants! I just saw them on Sunday!
Yes you did.

This is the email I sent him:

I would have appreciated it if you would have asked for permission before using my pictures of my carnivorous plants. I see the you have used my Ceph (top left), D. filiformis (first), and Drosophyllum lusitanicum (middle). Since you have not asked permission, and are using my pictures for your profit I'm going to ask that my pictures be removed; or another option would be that you donate $15.00 to NASC, stands for the North American Sarracenia Conservancy for the use of my 3 above listed photos.

I'm trying to get some more money for NASC.
smile.gif

So thats where rareexoticseeds is getting his pictures. Oh BTW don't buy seed form him it never germinates.

Good job elgecko.
smile.gif
15 bucks is a little steep, but those are good photos. As seedjar said I see those everywhere...but probably more times I catch a glimpse of it somewhere in TF than anywhere else.

Yes of course copying is a form of complement, but then if everyone "complemented" everyone else then there would be no original and total chaos. Thus it is not regarded as such.

You should definetely give the guy a good one...
confused.gif

You know, seeing all of your photos posted really gives me the creeps. I download photos frequently that you people take BUT... I always ask for permission first and I always state why I want them. Many of your photos show up on my desktop as wallpaper.

I would care to me its awfully rude! I think I would start photo shopping your pics with copy right all over them you know the clear type that you see...

Sigh. It just seems to me that life's too short to worry about someone using your pictures. Unless you're going to use them for profit somehow, you aren't really damaged in any way. On the other hand, people shouldn't go around using other people's photos without permission, so that vendor is clearly in the wrong.

This is why I grant permission to use any of my photos for any reason right up front. Plus, it is a bit flattering that they decided to use your photos as representative of the species, isn't it?

Capslock

Sure hope the high bidders of his auctions don't think the photos he posted of other people's plants are representive of the quality of plant that he will be sending to complete his electronic transaction.  

There are people out there who have dreams of writing books some day and why should their photos be plastered all over the Internet promoting somebody else's goods or services without their knowledge and consent?

I think unknownclown summed it up quite nicely,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]its awfully rude!

Back