What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fyi scam warning: latest paypal imposter scam

Just FYI, the next round of Paypal imposter scams seems to be out. This one masquerades as an email from Paypal warning that your account has been logged into several times from different IP addresses, and recommends logging in to check. Of course it provides a handy link, which looks like it points to paypal.com, but really points to their facade site and allows them to gather your Paypal login data for some nefarious purpose.

There's something really perverse about a scam masquerading as a scam warning.

As always, follow the email safety rules:
* Never reveal personal information to an unknown party and/or one who has no need to know it
* Never click on a link in an email to reach a login page
* If you know the guilty party, put a few drops of phenylthalene in their drink and make them unload all the crap they try to unload on everyone else

Now where would I get the phenylthalene? I'd like to try that
smile.gif
Bet it would be fun. Now I have to ask. When you sign up for paypal they say they will never send you an email except recipets. So why on eath would you chick the link? It is so much easier to just type in www.paypal.com Oh and incase you don't notice paypal remembers your email (unless you tell it not to) from your home computer.

Speaking of marginally human... hello Tre. ;) Aren't you supposed to be advocating probing the stupid humans in some other thread here?

I should say that under no circumstances would i really advocate lacing with phenylthalene. That was a dangerous thing to joke about.

You'd be suprised how many people would click the link. It seems helpful, innocuous, etc. People also install spyware and allow trojan horses to rampage through their desktop every day. Stupid humans. Everyone makes a mistake now and then, but this one seemed dangerous enough to warn about in case it can prevent one of those.

Man Paypal big is enough thieves, now they have thieves pretending to be them. If Paypal don't steal you blind, the impostor surely will.
Paypal stole my money, I will never use them again.
Tomorrow a new site like paypal opens. I can only hope that they have better business ethics. It's called Greenzap. You can signup by clicking this link.
http://www.greenzap.com/kingsnake

As their promotion they will put $25 in your account when you open it. I'm going to try them as an alternative to paypal.

Hey Ozzy, how did Paypal rip you?  Just curious.

So children, did we learn our lessons? Did anyone click Ozzy's link? Gotcha!
smile_n_32.gif

Actually Paypal has been snowballing, getting bigger and bigger and now as part of Ebay the policies are getting a bit oppressive. Unfortunately i've not found a competitor that i could stand to use. Hopefully one will surface.

It's really a long story, but I'll try to keep it pretty short.

I use to use paypal all the time. To say the least I was a very good customer. I not only used them to pay for auctions on ebay I used them to transfer money between my two bank accounts. I joined paypal almost as soon as they started. I was a customer for about a year and a half. Like I said I have two bank accounts. One in NC and one in OH. I did this because I had bills being drafted out of the bank account in NC when I was living there and it was just easier to keep that bank account open then to transfer everything to the account in Ohio when I moved here. This will get a little confusing. One month I transferred money form my account here to the account in NC. Well they totally got it backwards. They tried to transfer money from the NC account to the OH. I proved that they made a mistake by showing them the records of the debit card number that I use was from the bank in Oh. I got charged from my bank NF fees because they tried to take money from my NC account. I was also charged NF fees for every bill that was suppose to be drafted from my account not to count late fees. When it was all over it cost me about $100. I called paypal and they refused to take any responsibility. I didn't like the way they treated me, but I decided to forget it. The next month they did the same exact thing. I called again, I got the same attitude.
I had to make another transfer to try and get my bills payed. This time they did it right. Then the next thing I knew they froze my account. The month before my wife opened a paypal account using the same Oh bank account that I used. So they closed my account because there was another user opened an account with the same bank account that I had used. It was a joint bank account with my wife. I called and they refused to give me my money back. They said they would have to keep my money for 6 months to make sure there was no fraud going on. I told them that I needed the money and asked that to be sure that there is no fraud just put the money back in the account it came from. I tried for three weeks to get my money back, but they refused to give it to me. So I went to planetfeedback.com and filed a complaint. I was amazed when I read their feedback. There was story after story that was identical to mine.
The only way that I got my money back was to go to my back and file a complaint against them and say that they took the money without my permission.
I really urge everybody that uses paypal to read their feedback at planetfeedback.com.

Here is the signature that is attacted to every email I send. Take a look at their feedback.
--
Paypal is nothing but hightech common thieves.
Check out their customer feedback
http://www.planetfeedback.com/sharedL....00.html
Don't become another paypal victim

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D muscipula @ May 31 2005,11:16)]So children, did we learn our lessons?  Did anyone click Ozzy's link?  Gotcha!  
smile_n_32.gif

Actually Paypal has been snowballing, getting bigger and bigger and now as part of Ebay the policies are getting a bit oppressive.  Unfortunately i've not found a competitor that i could stand to use.  Hopefully one will surface.
Funny! I tried to click on the link after you pointed this out, but received an error message. I didn't even pay attention to it at first, but now notice that it has kingsnake in it!

I don't know why it won't work. They are opening the website tomorrow, so maybe it's down right now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ May 31 2005,11:35)]I don't know why it won't work. They are opening the website tomorrow, so maybe it's down right now.
Good! I'll send my money first thing tomorrow then!! I hope I can set up two accounts, because I'd really like $25 in each of them...
smile_m_32.gif

I did. LOL
And make sure that you use the link I gave because I get $5.

I've got quite a lot of these imposter paypal emails too, along with quite a few from imposter banks--they ask you to confirm your bank account and password, with a false link as in the paypal scam. These scams are pretty clever.

I doubt that would be very good fro their systems
smile_k_ani_32.gif

anyway I jsut got one of those paypal scam things. Interesting how they have the same warnings and everything. I mena except that obviouly it was not paypal when you opened the link

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Good! I'll send my money first thing tomorrow then!! I hope I can set up two accounts, because I'd really like $25 in each of them...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I did. LOL
And make sure that you use the link I gave because I get $5.

Anyone thinking what I'm thinking? This is a darn good way to get an income
laugh.gif
Ozzy, what is the maximum no. of bank accounts you can get?

Another question I have, anyone used to transfer $ from a credit card via paypal? If so, how do you withdraw the card from your account? It doesn't say on the help page. Of course that would make sense if the owner of paypal or whoever was pinching a few accounts every few months...make for a nice salary wouldn't it. And still paypal is so huge that nobody would care about the complaints. Yesh, that is, until the guy robs all the accounts and disappears.
confused.gif

From ozzy's link: Paypal...complaint
Paypal...complaint
Paypal...complaint
Paypal...complaint
Paypal...compliment??
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Paypal...complaint...

I am getting so scared...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D muscipula @ May 31 2005,9:49)]* If you know the guilty party, put a few drops of phenylthalene in their drink and make them unload all the crap they try to unload on everyone else
Forget phenolpthalein, I'd rather pass large, but non-lethal quantities of electric current through their genitals until they chew their own arms and legs off to escape.

I am normally anti-death-penalty, but something about scam artists sets off something brutal and primeval in me.

I have also been ripped off by Paypal and if you can avoid using them I strongly advise it.
I used them to accept payment for things I was selling on ebay. I too had an account for about 12 months, no complaints or even bad feedback on ebay, and thern one day they locked it. They said that I couldn't access my money for 3 months and asked me to fax them a whole bunch of forms, bank statements, etc.
I emailed them about 20 times asking what wsa going on and kept getting EXACTLY the same reply, they didn't even read my email.

In the end I faxed them ALL the paperwork they asked for and the very next day I received an email saying "we no longer wish to do business with you" and locked my account. I couldn't even log in and there was a US$750 balance which they still have.

To add insult to injury paypal is owned by ebay.
I had an outstanding account with ebay for about $12.50 and, as they have my US$750 I refused to pay it so I am now banned from ebay too.

Before anyone signs up with paypal I recommend you check out this site: Paypal Sucks

I hope this saves some people getting ripped off.

Cheers, Troy.

I no longer use PAYPAL myself. They just became too "CORPORATE" for my taste. TOO many rules and regulations, not to mention their OUTRAGOEUS fees!

Back