Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woohoo!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tomorrow is the day that I'm gonna give a presentations of CP and relative conservation to my bio class (11th grade)! Don't worry, I'm gonna talk about NASC and all the fine folks here and at PFT. Next Tuesday I gave the same presentation (ok, so maybe a little more watered down) to the 4th graders at my old elementary school and after THAT I'm going to my mom's school to give the presentation to her 5th graders! Yahoo! I hope I don't botch it! It's gonna be interesting walking through the quad with a bunch of plants tomorrow! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] Anyone wanna share their experience with CP presentations they've done
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck - these talks get easier with time and practise. Part of the key is to catch their attention early - then it is all down to crowd control.

BR
    Chris

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best luck Est! I have a feeling you'll have no trouble keeping the crowd's attention. Just remember to make eye contact and try not to say "um" - it does wonders for your appearance.
    I haven't done any CP presentations, but I had to do presentations for almost every project I did at my high school, where the curriculum was project-based. My favorite presentation was my senior thesis about how robots will take over the world.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool! I did a presentation to some 6&7th graders a while back. It's a lot of fun. Good luck, know 'em dead!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - you've made the material for the presentation
    - you've practiced your talk
    - you know the subject material
    - you've got your props

- relax and have fun! Let your enjoyment come out - it will be infectious.

Have a good time and know that you're doing a good thing (We should all be doing more of this!!)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always raffle a free plant or two and I mention it at the very beginning.

I tend not to bring any of my very special plants that might walk away, get damaged, or suffer for months afterward (like my N. bical when it was younger) unless I have an extra. People always like to walk away with something, so I have handouts of some kind - like "Basic VFT Care" and I include a section "for more information", listing websites, where to get plants (include yourself if you have extras), booklists, societies, etc.

You will get a lot of really crazy questions so allow a little extra time for that. I'll be giving a CP talk to a group of Master Gardeners soon so I have to prepare a little more than usual.

Good luck with it & have fun!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love to do my CP talk. I typically start out talking a bit about how I became fascinated by plants.

This is the run down I use for CP.

- What makes a plant carnivorous?
    -The VFT: If you were a world explorer, where would you find a plant like this?
    -North Am. Pitcher plants.
    -Sundews and Butterworts.
    -Tropical Pitcher plants.

That typically takes up about 45min. to an hour.

I always make sure I have pitchers to cut open and dump out and I always have a few big sticky sundews to run my fingers through. I love Barry Rice's line for sundews and I use it all the time. When I show the sticky sundew goo between my fingers I say "Do you know what snot is?" Then looking down at my fingers I say "Same stuff..."

Thanks Barry! I love that Line!

Also when I am talking about how some of the pitcher plant species have nectar with slight narcotic properties I look at the audience with a completely straight face and say, "Now I have licked a LOT of pitchers and I am convinced that this narcotic only affects insects..."

Anyway, have fun with it!

Steve
    Steve L
    "I'm Lucky enough to get paid to do this!"

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck. And brochures are on the way to you. You should get them tomorrow but it'll be too late for your presentation. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] Maybe you can pass them out afterwards??

I'm not much on public speaking but I think if you got the nerve, it would be fun. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Let us know how it goes.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast