What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats your most pleasany cp discovery

Finch

Whats it to ya?
I hant been doing this for very long so mines not.... anyway, mine was when i found a "stowaway' species in one of my pots that must have came as a stray seed, U. bisquamata

dark is the day when i mispell pleasant in the title of a post. Its a bad omen
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

EDIT: OKOKOK

One of the highlights of my entire life was finding a new species of Nepenthes.

Haha,you also mispelled post in your second post,lol.Just teasing
smile_m_32.gif
Well my most pleasant CP discovery was just a week ago.As some of you may know about 2 months ago I brought home 2 small N.fusca's and I killed them pretty much instantly cause I fried them in my little greenhouse,lol.Well,a week ago I found very small green growths coming out of the top on BOTH of them
laugh.gif
I was SOOOO happy
cool.gif
So yeah,that rocked
smile_m_32.gif
*Niki*

I would say finding a mystery D. binata seedlng emerging from a Nep. in a hanging basket, this winter. I haven't a clue as to where it came from or why it took 6 months to germinate. This is that plant, from 2 months ago:

D.%20binata%20(elarwhis).jpg

Bought: I would have to say finding my N 'Holland Hybrid' (overcrowded 6 inch pot when I bought it) for $4 when I bought it.
Found: some CP sites. Expecially those in Western Florida that I can visit everytime I go (actually I have a favorite site in AL, but it is about 2.5 hours away from where I stay so it is kind of a long journey)
Plant found: D. rotunifolia and D. intermedia sprouting from seed in my bog this year.

First: One of the D. binata growth points I thought had died just underwent a magical resurrection
biggrin.gif

Second: When I ordered a double potted VFT, not only did I end up with 4 VFTs (3 normal sized and one tiny), but a tiny green dot that grew into my D. spathulata
biggrin.gif

hMMMM..
Must be the time I found my N. 'Coccinea' had come back from the dead.

I had cut off the whole plant, down to the soil (it almost dead, and was taking up space). The I put the pot (had bothered to dump it out, too lazy) on the bottom shelf and promptly forgot about it.

Months later I was looking for a pot just that size, and reached for it....Low and behold, the 'Coccinea' was growing back from the roots! I hadn't watered it in MONTHS!

Now this sucker is hardened off to just about anything, lol.

Well its alway fun to find a "gift with purchase" in a pot...like a sundew in Sarracenia you just bought. That's happened a couple of times.

Troy...I'd say that would rank right up there at the top of "pleasant" discoveries.
smile.gif
Must have been an awsome feeling.

Just recently I found a byblis seedling in my container of P. luscitanica. Not sure if it will survive but I hope so. Didn't help that I pulled it up thinking it was a bit of sedge before I realized it had "dew" on it.

Any time a plant grows and does well, its always big kick.
smile.gif

hmm... knowing theres a massive bog filled with S. Oreo's within 15 minutes of our house in Hiawassee, GA and walking through the bog. whats even better is the ground is firm and you don't sink!

thank god for the nature conservancy or otherwise it wouldn't be there!

They really do kill bugs!!!
smile_n_32.gif

Really? Mine are extremely lazy. I look at them 20 times a day, and they don't seem to kill anything except my time. Aprilh

My N. alata x Ventrata is always surprising me with new basal shoots. I've had six new shoots in the six months I've had it. One even seems to have made a pitcher without a leaf. That's been a pretty nice string of surprises, especially after I bought it pitcherless.
~Joe

Really, my most pleasant discovery has been how beautiful and complex they are. How it's a miracle that they survive around us. I had no idea, previously. Nature always keeps me in complete awe! Aprilh

Some times they need a helpful push into the pitcher or trap.
smile_m_32.gif

The most pleasant cp discovery was these forums and the friends I have found here. They still support me even after I pulled a nasty joke on them.

The second most pleasant discovery was finding a plant in NC that had only been found in the state one other time in 1972 U.floridana.

1973, DeKalb County, Alabama, east of Fort Payne at the Little River, a small stand of oreophila that were purple, top to bottom, green throat with veins, green and veined under the hood. I have no idea if the stand survives today. Beautiful! Very pleasant indeed!!!!

My most pleasent moment in growing cps is when I found out that I was going bogging this summer, It could change very shortly though, Who knows, I might find a new stand of pitcher plants, or discover a new hybrid on the bogs, I am even thinking about finding S. leuco "Hurricane Creek White" in the wild, Don't worry though, I have no reason to poach, I might be getting a division as soon as the end of June! I am also expecting possibly recieving a good crop of rare plants, so far I hope to get:
S. wherryi "Chatom Giant"
S. leucophylla "Hurricane Creek White"
S. X 'Readii' Alabama Red (which might be recieving cultivar status shortly)
S. 'Leah Wilkerson'
S. 'Wilkersons Red'
S. 'Lady Bug'

my huge N. merriliana was hiding several HUGE pitchers from me.... they were on the back side of the pot and nver noticed them...

When I saw a flower stalk emerging from my D. adelae. Unfortunately, it stalled in suspended animation in mid-development and hasn't changed since.

Back