What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clay pots for cp's

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Are they safe to use as "open tray"?

probably safe, but not worth it IMO..
they would suck water like crazy..
we havent had any rain in 6 weeks..my rain water ran out weeks ago and im using a gallon of store-bought distilled a day
smile_h_32.gif

clay pots would increase evaporation dramatically, because water can evaporate straight from the pot walls..
the walls are porous..

also, clay can hold onto any minerals in the water, while plastic wont..
plastic is just so much better all around..
clay is probably ok, but why bother?

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ June 06 2005,10:38)]probably safe, but not worth it IMO..
they would suck water like crazy..
we havent had any rain in 6 weeks..my rain water ran out weeks ago and im using a gallon of store-bought distilled a day  
smile_h_32.gif
Hang in there Scot.  We just got blasted by a storm in PA.  In less than 2 hours I filled 150 gallons in tanks, and waves were spilling over gutters.  A whole lot of wind though--and plant damage.  If it comes your play, tuck your plants in, and fill your barrels.

I'm sorry JimS--I agree about the clay pots with SC. They do soak the water

You got those storms to Joe?

I usually leave my plants out on the table, but when I noticed it was getting very dark I checked the radar. I saw a lot of red spots, meaning severe weather. I placed all my plants under the tables for some protection.
It was pouring, the winds gusting, and talk about an electrical storm. The lightning and thunder was awesome.
My wife is a little mad now. She likes to watch TV, but the cable must have gotten hit cause there is nothing on any channels for the last couple of hours.

Hey Scott,
How did the cobra lilies make out? Did they get washed into the stream?
smile_n_32.gif

Wyomissing / Reading weather report: Same as Norristown! Lots of rain yesterday afternoon, including hail. Nothing in Red Lion?

Clay pots: Someone asked me about it and all I was aware of was that clay contains iron.

Darlingtonia report: Since the mini-bogs are right up against the kitchen wall, they received a lot of protection. I aint putting anything near that stream! All were fine, although the monster D. binata & filiformis look like they are having bad leaf days, all drooped down.

we got nothing yesterday..not a drop..
the big storms moved just to the east of Rochester..
missed us by about 70 miles.

Scot

Back