What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The stupidest idea ever on these fourms

This is a stupid idea, But i cant get it out of my head!
I bought a rossete succulent the other day, only to find it was infested with spiders and alge. In a last ditch attemt to save it, I removed all the soil and replaced it with fresh catus soil. But the look of that plant woth no soil on its roots, I thought it would be so cool if you could grow a succulent (or any plants) with out the growing medium. Just let the roots hang through a hole or somthing. And mabye mist the once in a while, and spray them with a special fertilizer once in a while.

I cant belive im posting this
smile_o_32.gif
but i cant get it out of my head! Im sure its not possible....is it?

its called hydroponics. actually a well researched growing method, do a search on google

Hey, I just received a pot of aphid-infested cobra lilys, as a salvage project. I buy up the H.D CP rejects at a fraction of the price, just to bring 'em back. St. Jude is my hero!
smile_m_32.gif

You should see some of my crazy ventures!

wow! those were fast replies!
Well I know about hydroponics but dont you have to keep the roots bmerged in water and little clay balls? I ment more freestanding, like an "air plant"

PS: jim! I wanna know more about your crazy ventures!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tyrel @ June 07 2005,6:37)]wow! those were fast replies!
Well I know about hydroponics but dont you have to keep the roots bmerged in water and little clay balls? I ment more freestanding, like an "air plant"

PS: jim! I wanna know more about your crazy ventures!
There is a method of hydroponics as you describe.  It involves periodic spraying with a fine mist, and mist with nutrient solution.  My father is setting up a similar system.  I'll ask him about it, but in the meantime, do a Google search as previously described, and I'm sure you'll find something.

I found something. It's actually called aeroponics, and it's exactly as you described!

http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/~vista/html_pubs/hydro/hydroponic.html

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tyrel @ June 07 2005,6:37)]PS: jim! I wanna know more about your crazy ventures!
No, No you do not!
confused.gif

Just do a search for his user name. Every other post by him is some crazy venture.
smile_n_32.gif

No problem Scott. You know I should probably call you Jim since everyone on here does.

hydroponics actually covers lots of ground but i have seen setups like what you discribe. generally they are done on large scale though as they can be a royal pain to setup for just a few plants. the method with clay balls is the, i guess would be the standard household type method of hydroponics used

the only thing with Jim is you cant mention U. sandersonii "blue" that plant will send him into fits of depresion.........wont it Jim
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JBL @ June 07 2005,6:45)]There is a method of hydroponics as you describe.  It involves periodic spraying with a fine mist, and mist with nutrient solution.  My father is setting up a similar system.  I'll ask him about it, but in the meantime, do a Google search as previously described, and I'm sure you'll find something.

I found something.  It's actually called aeroponics, and it's exactly as you described!

http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/~vista/html_pubs/hydro/hydroponic.html
thanks for the link! interesting stuff.

Geez! this forum is so fast! its more like an instant message system!

Sheridan: yup, He can get the blue to flower! I cannot. However, I got the U. paulinae to do so. Ah, a little friendly competition!

Steve: Whaddya mean every other post is a crazy venture? Just because I've had a few mishaps with cobra lilys and streams and toilets and......
smile_m_32.gif

hey the U. paulinea isnt fair, ive been babying that plant for alot longer than you. we go our sandersonii blues at about the same time. have you got your U. praelonga to bloom yet? we could do that one next depending on the size of yours. mine is filling a 3 inch pot.

No, that hasn't sent up anything - yet. I have tridentata, sp.2, and lateriflora flowering. the tricolor has a spike but no flower. I think I have to flood and up the light more for the blue to flower, so I have read.

i havent gotten tridentata to flower yet but i havent had it for long. tricolor i gave up on. my U. lateriflora is constantly in flower. i would like my praelonga to flower but not terribly worried as its going to look similar to some of my other yellow flowered Utrics(odorata and prehensilis). there are spikes in my tricolor pot but its stupid subulata that im trying to exterminate

I get lots of plugs of prairie plants this way...the seedlings are put in trays that don't have bottoms. The roots go down there, and dry off and fall away. It's called air pruning, and it's supposed to prevent circular roots.

But there is a growing medium from the top of the tray to the opening at the bottom, so I don't think it's considered hydroponic.

I have a jade plant that fell out of its pot more than a year ago and has a tiny root ball with a small amount of dirt. The plant was fairly wrinkly by the end of winter, but plumped right up once it went outdoors again.

i really dont think hydroponics works good for succulents

actually, i dont see why it wouldnt work, just requires less water or less frequent watering. i would think you would loose plants to experimentation but i think through trial and error you could get it to work for most succulents

Sounds like a search for "aeroponics" could be of use as well, sounds a bit more like what you're after...

I been thinking about trying it with the one that inspired me.
And ive come up with an answer: Mabey!
smile_n_32.gif

The newest method is Ultra Sonic Aeroponics. It uses a fog on the roots which is 30 or 300 micron size (unsure ). It is a very useful method as it allows the perfect oxygen/moisture ratio. It works very well on most any plants once you figure your timing according to individual needs and fert ratios. I use it from time to time............actually I may do another here soon.

Google Ultra Sonic Aeroponics

Joe

Back