Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disection of a usb thumb drive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

So my USB Thumb Drive was really great for a long time. I bought it because it claimed to be extremely rugged and capable of withstanding pressures around 2,000 lbs! Cnet ran it over with a car and it seemed to be fine. It had enough space (512 MB) and didn't have a cap to get lost. Its only weakness, as I recently found, is that the USB connecter is as fragile as any other USB device's, from printer cables to mouse connectors. When my laptop fell (not my fault but a long and expensive story), the connector was horribly bent and pulled some of the computer's port out with it (grrrrr... $300 motherboard replacement). Well - I loved the drive before so I'm probably gunna buy the same one again but I wondered what to do with the old one. I couldn't just throw something of such exquisite design into the trash without a proper burial - A disection. The following are images from that disection and the surprising outcome. Look directly under the images for my comments.

This is what my drive first looked like...

that's what mine looked like

So I used a screwdriver to open it from a sealed edge and here are insides

After some fooling around, this is everything I found inside

This is the actual flash component

... and more detailed

Here you can see how it was clogged and bent, though the picture doesn't show how bent it was. I realized that I might be able to unclogg it...

and I was able to use it in the computer!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

... but it's very fragile so it needs a case so I can use it before I replace it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

... or maybe I'll add it to my disection tool. Oh well

I still need a replacement so I'm checking to see if anything new has come out since I bought this one and thinking of ways to use what I have now. To make it work, I needed to use a pliers to twist connectors and straighten things out, though it still does not fit well. At least I'll get a second life out of it...

Hope you enjoyed!

~ Brett

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pak loves pics like these I think somebody should send her a PM. I think I'll send it to her the PM myself I just love to bring her joy.

Interesting story by the way.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmm, interesting... If it really is as good a one as you said then
    the price really isn't that bad....
    tiger direct
    newegg
    I like how it goes in and out of the sleeve instead of trying to keep track of where you put the cap. lol
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yup, that's the beauty of flash memory. Nice and compact. USB can be a pain in the butt... My dad bought a USB Intel microscope (because it was cheap and to play with) that came with a very un-standard USB cable: it had USB plugs on BOTH ends. Those of you snickering realize the danger of this, for those of you who don't: plugging two computers in to each other using a USB cable connection like that will result in... Well, fireworks. Well, ok, it'll at least cause some noises, smoke, and sufficiently fry both machines. Ouch. Anyhoo, interesting pictorial, but the pictrues DON'T need to be so big, in fact, they're so big that you can't really see what's going on. Reducing them to 25% of their original size is still plenty to see all the details. For those of you with firefox: Pic zoom!
    ¯\(º_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always read the fine print... Tigerdirect -
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]†This product is factory recertified.
    But yes, it was reallllly rugged (aside from... well... this) and the lack of a cap was a major plus. If new egg is not refurbished I might get it from there - thanks!

~ Brett

P.S. - I know about the MASSIVE image size but I was just too lazy to crop them or shrink them and re-upload them. Sorry [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry I didn't mention that it could be. I didn't look...But, I personally have no problem with
    factory recert stuff... Same warranty, so it doesn't matter to
    me. I've never had any real trouble with anything fact recert...
    Andrew

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ June 07 2005,10:51)]Hmm, interesting... If it really is as good a one as you said then
    the price really isn't that bad....
    tiger direct
    newegg
    I like how it goes in and out of the sleeve instead of trying to keep track of where you put the cap. lol
    Andrew
    Tiger Direct sucks!
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only used Newegg and have been very happy with their service. Thanks for the pics!
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast