What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can eat!

• Thread starter pond boy
  • Start date
Well I`m back,my mom banned me from the computer for a while.

As for my condition I can now eat food! IO have to keep the fat down and I can`t eat fruits and veggies(too hard to digest) but at least I can eat. I still have chronic(pancreaticish) pain that they aren`t treating as well.
I am getting help for my migraines though,I`m on a couple of meds for them,but because of my history of pancreatitis I can`t take those newer medicines.

I can`t wait till my grandparents come up! When they do my Grandpa is going to take me to the mongolian grill and I`ll have the low fat grilled chicken and beef.

smile_m_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

YAY! Good to see you back.
biggrin.gif
I've been wondering where you were. That's great news! Is it strange to start eating food again after such a long time??

I hope this means you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Hope you get back to hanging out and posting.

Congratulations!
smile.gif

good to see youre getting better
smile.gif

We all missed you here

Good to have ya back! I expect your usual 15-20 consecutive posts per day!
smile.gif

Hey welcome back!How long have you not eaten for?Take good care of yourself! *Niki*
laugh.gif

I'm glad to see you back too. It's important that someone be able to eat more than his plants do. But not the same food, even if insects are low in fat.

cool! welcome back
smile.gif

insects low in fat? sounds fishy... aren't they full of fat?

YAY congrats!
So what did you pick to be your first "real meal"?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ June 10 2005,6:04)]cool! welcome back
smile.gif

insects low in fat? sounds fishy... aren't they full of fat?
no. you're thinking of protein. if they where all our cp's would die.

hmm... some sites say they're low in fat, others say they're high in fat.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Of course for the average person, a good steak and a salad would be your first choice but during uncertain times, it is always good to have alternatives such as insects. Insects are low in carbohydrates, high in protein along with fat and calories which are needed in a survival situation. For example, crickets and grasshoppers have approximately 24 percent protein. Grasshoppers have 200 calories per 100 grams (approximately 900 calories per pound - some studies show up to 1,200 calories per pound) with 7-9 percent fat comparing to steak at 250 calories per 100 grams. Also crickets have amino acids required in the human diet. Beef provides 200-300 calories per 100 grams with 18 percent protein and 18 percent fat.
http://members.aol.com/keninga/insects.htm
but of course... the answer lies in between... with so many species of insects, it's hard to generalize
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Insects vary widely in fat (and, thus, energy) content. Isoptera (termites) and Lepidoptera (caterpillars) rank among the highest in fat.
http://www.food-insects.com/Insects%20as%20Human%20Food.htm
interesting article-
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news....as.html
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Only about 800,000 of the world's millions of insect species have been described. And of these multitudes of bug types, only about 1,500 are known to be a regular part of the human diet—including cicadas
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) also allows certain levels of natural or unavoidable defects in foods, as long as they doesn't pose a health risk.

For example, chocolate can have up to 60 insect fragments per 100 grams, tomato sauce can contain 30 fly eggs per 100 grams, and peanut butter can have 30 insect fragments per 100 grams (3.5 ounces), according to the FDA.

Good to have you back Noah!I'm glad your doing better and eating real food.So how are your plants/greenhouse doing?

Jerry

Welcome back! I'm also curious as to what your first meal was! Hope it was delicious! Aprilh

[b said:
Quote[/b] (unknownclown @ June 10 2005,6:46)]So what did you pick to be your first "real meal"?
I can almost guarantee it wasn't Ramen Noodles!
smile_m_32.gif

I've been wondering where you were and how you were doing. I wanted to ask but I didn'y know who to ask.
Well I'm glad you're eating.
smile.gif

I've never seen an overweight insect. Have you ever seen an overweight insect? I've never seen an overweight insect.

NOAH!!!! DO DA BANG BANG BOOGIE!!!!

glad to see your back. that flytrap you sent me bounced back from its original retched looking condition and is growing like a weed.

may i ask what migraine meds you are taking and what your not allowed to take? Darla suffers from them and has been for a loooooonnnnggg time. i may be able to toss in some info

Great to have you back Noah! Dunno how I missed this but I hope it ain't too late.

Also curious what you ate for your first real meal.

Hey Rattler...I take Relpax. It works pretty good for me...most of the time. What does Darla take?

Back