Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Macro camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Sony DSC F-717. Insanely close macros. If I need some distance between subject and camera, I just screw on a macro filter.

Unless you have a lens specifically made to do macros, don't use a slr. I tested a Canon 350XT on my plants, and the results were horrible. Depth of field was practically non existant, everything was out of focus (i used the crappy lens that came with the kit). And it seems digital slr's are 2 stops less sensitive than the compact digital cameras. I find myself having to shoot at ISO 800 and above to get usuable shutter speeds(indoors, no flash). I will be hanging on to my sony. If you're used to super sharp photos from digital cameras, you'll find it a shock how soft the images produced by digital slr's are [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (larry @ June 11 2005,6:43)]And it seems digital slr's are 2 stops less sensitive than the compact digital cameras. I find myself having to shoot at ISO 800 and above to get usuable shutter speeds(indoors, no flash).

If you're used to super sharp photos from digital cameras, you'll find it a shock how soft the images produced by digital slr's are [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    all that is on account of the lens. the 18-55mm ef-s lens that comes with the XT shouldn't even be called a lens. it's crap. The thing with digital SLRs are that you need a good lens in order to take advantage of them and canon L (the highest quality) lenses cost 2,000 dollars on average.

Pictures taken with the same Canon Rebel 350D XT but with the Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM:

(Photographs by Paul Keates)
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I wasn't going to ask because this is kind of off topic, but now that SLRs have come up I might as well... What's a good digital SLR? I was looking at (drooling at) the new Rebel XT but I was counting on just going with the kit lens to keep myself in budget. What do you think about it (besides your shining opinion of the lens? :) ) What are they like for backward compatibility? I have some fairly good lenses for my clunky old T70, but I really don't know much about photography except what I've learned from experimenting with just that T70... I've seen that the XT uses EF lenses - are these incompatible with the DF lenses for the T70?
    Thanks,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (seedjar @ June 11 2005,8:56)]So I wasn't going to ask because this is kind of off topic, but now that SLRs have come up I might as well... What's a good digital SLR? I was looking at (drooling at) the new Rebel XT but I was counting on just going with the kit lens to keep myself in budget. What do you think about it (besides your shining opinion of the lens? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] ) What are they like for backward compatibility? I have some fairly good lenses for my clunky old T70, but I really don't know much about photography except what I've learned from experimenting with just that T70... I've seen that the XT uses EF lenses - are these incompatible with the DF lenses for the T70?
    Thanks,
    ~Joe
    The XT is an awesome digital SLR (as you can see from the pictures) but only as good as the lens. If you want a advanced camera you should get the canon 20D (about 1,000 for the body only). The 20D is geared towards more advanced camera users, and its heavier and bigger than the XT. If you're just a person who likes photography but doesn't want to fuss with setting every dial or need all the extra features, the XT is for you. You can't use your old FD mount lenses on it (you may be able to find an adapter though). Even so i can't stress enough the importance of a good lens. If you're buying an SLR which whos main feature that separates it from point and shoots is the fact that you can change the lenses albeit you purchase a crappy lens, why purchase the SLR? You'll get images that will be worse than point and shoots and pay a thousand or two more in the process, so i guess it's either go big or stay point and shoot. Also expect to pay more for the lenses than you did for the camera [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Times just had an article on Nikon's new D50 digital S.L.R. which may be sorta like the rebel. Just thought I'd let you know!

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon D70
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have the new Canon Digital Rebel XT here at the office, had it less than a week. the lens that comes with it SUCKS! though it allows you to get closer than most its not a macro. when i use it i take of the original lense and use my "all purpose" Sigma 28-80mm with macro abilities that i originally purchased for my 35mm Rebel, not top of the line but when i got it, it cost twice what my camera did so i figured it was a step in the right direction. main problem i have at the moment is im not terribly familiar with it at the moment and need to tweek some settings and i need a tripod as i cant hold the camera still enough for reliable pics(though the U. sandersonii pic i posed in the Utric forum was pretty good for off hand shooting). i was messing with it taking pictures of my degus and i can say the delay between pushing the button and it taking the pic is minimal. my degus are constantly on the move and i had no problems getting pics. if your not a full blown photographer but want to have control over what your doing the XT is an awesome camera for the money, and you figure it will probably drop a couple hundred $ between now and the X-mas season.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of those prices are out of my league. Is there any such thing as a 4 MP digital camera that has good photo quality, good macro capabilities, manual overrides, short shutter lag, ease of operation, is thin enough to put in a shirt pocket, and under $300? Cool looking would be a plus.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123