Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banana tree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I'm thinking about getting a baby Banana Tree.The one I saw at Rona is only a foot tall.I don't know what kind it is tho.Anyone know if it does well in direct sunlight facing the south?Any other info about them would be great.Thanks!~Niki~
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nicky,
    I wouldnt recomend you get one of these unless you have a large greenhouse, they grow big, and the most miniature forms grow to about 4 feet high, but they also have long and wide leaves, meaning a lot of room will be taken up
    Also, I dont think any banana tree will survive in Canda year round, you can get hardy varieties but I think cold Canadian winters will be just too cold for them!!
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes one other thing.......the only bananas that produce good, edible fruit are the large, tropical ones that need constant warmth year round
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will also need that link to the banana phone song. Where DID I put that?

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, what Dino said, they get humungous for the most part- they don't seem to mind being moved around, which is good, but even just one leaf can be a few feet long and almost as wide
    My wife buys seeds every once in a while and ew try to grow them, but we honestly don't have any really good places for them (which is the reason for our lack of success, the plant knows it will be cramped and die so it just doesn't bother)
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Banana Phone
    Here you go. I always keep the URL for this song handy.
    Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening. ~Pardo.

\"I think we should always make certain we have chocolate. One never knows when it might be necessary.\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew Snow Banana (Ensete glauca) plants from seeds a couple years ago and they were amazing plants. But sunny spots are too scarce and I traded or gave all the Ensetes away. The species grows to ~12 ft and some sources say they're hardy to 0F with protection. They overwinter so easily in the basement, however, that I never tested the hardiness.

They'll take all the sun they can get and I'd leave them them out until frost killed the leaves. Then I just trimmed off the brown stuff and moved the plants to the basement. I never watered them in the basement because the roots are susceptible to rotting.

In the spring, they come out of the basement and get watered. And watered again and again and again as leafless trees soaked up moisture. A few weeks later you'll see a leaf forming and it's time for the plant to go back out. One thing to consider is those big leaves pump out a lot of water. Drops of water actually drip from the leaf tips and expect to water daily if the tree is in a pot.

If I were to get another banana, I'd get a Musella lasiocarpa. It's much smaller and has a really cool inflorescence. It's one of the hardiest species and, like the Ensete, you don't grow it for bananas.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (VFT_lover123 @ June 11 2005,10:19)]Banana Phone
    Here you go. I always keep the URL for this song handy.
    Thanks, I knew I could count on you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast