What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random summer pond photos

The pond was looking particularly nice this morning so I decided to take some shots.

first...a whole pond shot.
DSCN07411.jpg

This opened last night.
DSCN0727.jpg

DSCN728.jpg

I have a bigger version of this one set as desktop wallpaper.
DSCN726.jpg

Perched like a small fighter plane, this pond visitor surveyed the surroundings, perhaps looking for a meal.
DSCN737.jpg

DSCN735.jpg

"Hey, can you find me in the first photo?"
DSCN734.jpg

The shell which once held a darner dragonfly-likely larger than the skimmer shown in the previous photos.
DSCN730.jpg

Thats it for now. I tried a shot or two of the fish but they were not cooperative.

Wow, those are some really nice pictures! I know from experience, its hard to get a dragonfly when its flying, especially nice ones like those.

Awesome pics:D

Wow...nic pics. Love the dragonfly. He's beautiful! And I see him in the first pic.
smile.gif
You have a lovely pond! I'd love something like that.

Very nice candid shots!

Thanks guys! Glad you liked em. I actually didn't notice he was in that shot until I popped it up onto the puter and had a look. He wasn't too wary of the camera and aside fro occasionally flitting off for a lap around the pond he let me get very close.

Took this photo of a small blue dragonfly in the middle of the day. I'm not sure what the name for this behavior is(anyone?) but he is tipping his abdomen up towards the sun to reduce the surface of the body that is exposed to prevent overheating.
DSCN0751.jpg

great pics!! I love how your camera captured all the detail in the dragonflys wings!

Unknownclown: Thanks! I decided to go out this morning and get some more shots.

DSCN792.jpg

Finally managed to get a shot of a smaller blue dragonfly that hung around the pond. This particular shot is a bit overexposed.(despite having it on the lowest possible setting)
DSCN0801.jpg

DSCN0802.jpg

DSCN0805.jpg

By now I was getting curious and decided to see if the camera/if I was quick enough to get a dragonfly in flight. Of course the camera was unable to focus but the results were amusing either way.
DSCN807.jpg

DSCN819.jpg

At first glance this looks almost perfect. Not too sure what to make of it though.
DSCN837.jpg

After annoying the heck out of the other subject by getting him to fly I returned to this one.
DSCN830.jpg

DSCN854.jpg

Back