What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dasani water banned

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
the loverly link

Things get worse with Coke

Bottled tap water withdrawn after cancer scare

Felicity Lawrence, consumer affairs correspondent
Saturday March 20, 2004
The Guardian

First, Coca-Cola's new brand of "pure" bottled water, Dasani, was revealed earlier this month to be tap water taken from the mains. Then it emerged that what the firm described as its "highly sophisticated purification process", based on Nasa spacecraft technology, was in fact reverse osmosis used in many modest domestic water purification units.
Yesterday, just when executives in charge of a £7m marketing push for the product must have felt it could get no worse, it did precisely that.

The entire UK supply of Dasani was pulled off the shelves because it has been contaminated with bromate, a cancer-causing chemical.

So now the full scale of Coke's PR disaster is clear. It goes something like this: take Thames Water from the tap in your factory in Sidcup, Kent; put it through a purification process, call it "pure" and give it a mark-up from 0.03p to 95p per half litre; in the process, add a batch of calcium chloride, containing bromide, for "taste profile"; then pump ozone through it, oxidising the bromide - which is not a problem - into bromate - which is. Finally, dispatch to the shops bottles of water containing up to twice the legal limit for bromate (10 micrograms per litre).

The Drinking Water Inspectorate confirmed yesterday it had checked the Thames water supplied to the factory and found it free of bromate. Because it is unsafe at high levels, standards for bromate in tap water are strictly monitored.

Bromide is a naturally occurring trace chemical which has a sedative effect. It is said to have been added by the British army to soldiers' tea during the second world war to dampen down their lust. But when it is oxidised into bromate it becomes "a pretty nasty carcinogen", according to David Drury, one of the principal inspectors for the DWI.

"I've checked Thames water's supply this morning and it is free of bromate," he said.

The legal limits are set to have a wide margin of safety, and the Food Standards Agency advice yesterday was that while Dasani contained illegal levels of bromate, it did not present an immediate risk to the public.

"Any increased cancer risk is likely to be small. However the levels are higher than legally permitted in the UK and present an unnecessary risk. Some consumers may chose not to drink any Dasani they purchased prior to its withdrawal given the levels of bromate in it," the FSA said.

Coca-Cola said it was voluntarily withdrawing all Dasani "to ensure that only products of the highest quality are provided to our consumers".

If you want a refund you should call freephone 0800 227711.

Edited to add IM not sure about that number in the states

haha ok its early I just noticed that was from 2004..... never mind
smile_n_32.gif

2004? I just poured out all of my Dasani water and called coke to complain.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (unknownclown @ June 15 2005,1:29)]haha ok its early I just noticed that was from 2004..... never mind
smile_n_32.gif
Ya shoulda saved it for April 1st.... actually a couple weeks prior, to get a jump on Ozzy!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 15 2005,4:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (unknownclown @ June 15 2005,1:29)]haha ok its early I just noticed that was from 2004..... never mind
smile_n_32.gif
Ya shoulda saved it for April 1st.... actually a couple weeks prior, to get a jump on Ozzy!
smile_n_32.gif
I don't uderstand what you mean?
confused.gif

haha PSYCH!!! Still its a scary story. lol Shelly...WAKE UP!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ June 15 2005,7:12)]lol!
I don't drink dasani anyway :p
it's my favorite water... scared me for a second there

Still, makes you wonder just how safe our drinking water REALLY is...

Cole

Ok, let's put it this way: it's from the Guardian... Really that should do it for you right there.
Mmmm Thames water *drool*
biggrin.gif
As for the water I drink, I know the stuff around here is dreck so we got an RO filter- no nonsenes about what came from where and who did what to it. You shouldn't use that many bottles anyway! If you don't wanna get one of those nalgene ones -or if you're too lazy like me,- you can always reuse your water bottles (the whole "resuing the bottle will kill you, your family, and send evil College Board ninjas at the aforementioned" thing has been disproven.) In any case, I can imagine it must have sucked for people in the UK last year. :-\ Thanks, Coke!

TAKE THAT COKE!
*raises the Pepsi flag and salutes*

you both must be a pepsi people
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Back