What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First cp trip

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bugs

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Well, I finally have almost all my things unpacked and I had some work to do before I can head for the swamps. I am doing the last bits right now and hopefully will be done in a couple of hours. When I'm done I'm going to the Green Swamp and stay a couple of days or as long as I can stand the heat, bugs and no food. I really need to pack light and water is a priority, along with bug spay, gps, and camera.
I hope to find where the vft's were poached, if so I'll get pics.
I hope to find some things that I've never seen before since I don't have any time restraints. I'll let you all know how it goes as soon as I get back.
Everybody please pray that I can avoid the chiggers.
smile_t_32.gif

lol No way you can avoid chiggers. Just take fingernail polish with you.
smile.gif

I wish you had a live web cam to take...hehe. That would be cool!

Don't forget your PHONE so if a snake bites you, you can call for help. Take some of that beef jerky with you.
smile.gif

Be careful, pee before you go and don't stick your head out the window. (Those were always my mother's instructions).
laugh.gif

Hope you get some grand photos for us. Have fun!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ June 15 2005,5:19)]Everybody please pray that I can avoid the chiggers.
smile_t_32.gif
Those things are horrible! They itch really bad!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ June 15 2005,5:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ June 15 2005,5:19)]Everybody please pray that I can avoid the chiggers.
smile_t_32.gif
Those things are horrible! They itch really bad!
Unfortunatly I know. Everytime I come out of the swamp I bring some new little red friends with me. Is it considered poaching if you take chiggers out of their natural habitat? I sure wish it was illegal to bring them out of the woods.

Everybody should try getting a really bad case of chiggers and then take a flight on a crowded airplane. It's so hard to to scratch the sensitive areas when there is a person sitting right beside you.

Pak I don't have any jerky made yet. You should send me some of that ham with VA gentalmen hotsauce on it.

Hmmmmmmmm....have you ever made ham jerky?? Now THAT I might eat! lol Yeah that sauce is good. I also heard that the VA Gentleman BBQ sauce is good too but I haven't tried that yet.

Doesn't take chiggers to make me itch...I itch anyway.
confused.gif
But all you have to do is slap some clear fingernail polish on the red spots. Suffocates the chiggers. Of course you could use colored polish...then we could call you "Dottie". hee
smile_l_32.gif

Well I'm fresh out of fingernail polish. Maybe you should send me some.

What in tarnation is a chigger? Something like a tick?

I would rather have 100 ticks instead of chiggers. Chiggers are baby harvest mites. They are pretty much microscopic. They burrow under your skin, feed and in a few days dig back out of your skin and go on their way, leaving the most itchy red bump you'll ever have. I have never gotten one chigger. If you get one you'll get at least ten. The bump will stop itching in about two to three weeks.

Ewwwww!!So you get these bugs that burror into your skin and then they FEED on you??That' crazy!!2-3 weeks for the itching to stop?!?! That's nutty! Never heard of these little guys,never seen them either,thank god!!Hope you don't get any Ozzy! ~Niki~

If I get some I'll take pics. I must warn you they seem to like areas like armpits, where your knees and elbows bend and some other areas that I won't mention.

Yuck! ~Niki~
confused.gif

LOl Ozzy. Chiggers or no chiggers-it sure sounds like you're going to have a nice adventure
smile.gif

Ticks are fun enough for me. I remember once up in the mountains when I must have been around 7 we were walking along a wide dirt path(and as usual I was along the side looking for interesting critters) when I noticed on a particularly tall blade of grass was an interesting looking creature. eight legs, and a black head and "shield on the back". I wasn't sure what it was. I had a little critter keeper so the blade of grass was picked and taken to the cabin. The sad thing is is that no one knew what the "cute buggy thing" was and I even let it crawl around for a bit on my hand. Put the thing under the bed that night and in the morning it was still there. Only then did it dawn on me that it was a tick! Maybe if I wasn't so inquisitive the tick would have gotten a nice meal.

Well, I didn't get to go last night so I am just about ready to leave this morning. I hope to get some really nice pics to share.
Later.

Ozzy, where are you exactly? I think I missed that...

Geez...you guys haven't ever heard of a chigger?? And never had one?? Wow. They were a fact of life for me as a kid. If you went out into grassy areas in fields you always got them. My mother used to fuss if we picked Queen Ann's lace because she said it was "loaded with chiggers." Don't know if that was true or not but to this day I don't pick Queen Ann's lace because it was such a no-no.

Chrono...Ozzy is heading out into the Green Swamp to stay for a few days.
smile.gif

CHIGGERS ARE HORRIBLE!!!!! I went fishing in an area that was densely covered with brush (little did I know what was out there). By the end of the day, I was itching worse than a fire ant bite and bee sting combined. I couldn't figure out what was making me itch till I did some research on the computer. Chiggers are HORRIBLE!!! You itch for an what seems like forever. I hope I never get any of those little buggers AGAIN
mad.gif
It would be nice if there was some way to get rid of them or keep them from biting you. Like Ozzy said, they like to bite where your skin is softest and where skin meets skin. Avoid them at all costs. BELIEVE ME, you never want a chigger again for the rest of your life after you are first bittten by one ( or maybe about 50 like me).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dewy @ June 16 2005,11:23)]CHIGGERS ARE HORRIBLE!!!!! I went fishing in an area that was densely covered with brush (little did I know what was out there). By the end of the day, I was itching worse than a fire ant bite and bee sting combined. I couldn't figure out what was making me itch till I did some research on the computer. Chiggers are HORRIBLE!!! You itch for an what seems like forever. I hope I never get any of those little buggers AGAIN
mad.gif
It would be nice if there was some way to get rid of them or keep them from biting you. Like Ozzy said, they like to bite where your skin is softest and where skin meets skin. Avoid them at all costs. BELIEVE ME, you never want a chigger again for the rest of your life after you are first bittten by one ( or maybe about 50 like me).
My understanding is that by the time you feel the tremendous itching, the little buggers are dead. What you're feeling is the body's reaction to him/her dying under your skin.

I'm happy to say that I've never been attacked by a chigger...haha, funny name. And where's Green Swamp?
laugh.gif

in NC.
grr... stupid thing didn't copy. well, ozzy you said something about them burrying under your skin or something.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/question488.htm
I was going to quote some of it here but it was basically the whole thing so just click on it.
they don't burrow under your skin and nail polish doesn't cure/treat/kill chiggers, it just makes it less itchy.

Well I decided to comw out last night. Even with all the Off that I used I still couldn't keep the ticks off of me. I was pulling them off all day. I'm still waiting to see if any chiggers pop up, but as of now I think I only have two chiggers.

I saw plenty of cp's. S.flavas, rubras, purpurea. D.intermedia, capilaris, and a hybrid of the two. I saw thousands of vft's. U.gibba and some other bladderworts.
I also saw some orchids, several rare red-cockaded woodpecker. I saw two snakes but they got away before I could identify them.
I also found a tree that had a huge nest. It didn't look like a bird nest it looked like a bunch of pine tree branches pulled together. I got pics of it, I'll get them and the other pics online soon.

Back