Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How would i make a mini bog?

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say 2 things- first, BC is coastal and it gets near freezing in winter but not too cold all the time, I don't see why pretty much any Sarracenia couldn't be kept outdoors year round below ground

Second- Sarrs in general are WAY tougher than most folks seem to think- I have S.flava doing BEAUTIFULLY outside here near Niagara Falls and we had a pretty typical Canadian winter up here
    D.filiformis ssp. filiformis also survived the winter and is doing extremely well- the ones I brought in for indoor dormancy "just in case" look like they are likely going to die, whilst the ones inground all winter are spectacular- almost 10 inches tall, more than 10 leaves per plant, HUGE "dew balls"

I'm telling ya Scottychaos, you can grow lots more outdoors that just S.purpurea ssp. purpurea... I have it on good authority that VFTs will also do well outside overwinter here [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    I will have concrete proof in a little under 12 months [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (mabudon @ June 16 2005,12:22)]I'm telling ya Scottychaos, you can grow lots more outdoors that just S.purpurea ssp. purpurea...
    I assume you were actually replying to me?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shelly & Scottychaos: Great looking bogs!

Shelly: I've done been ejumacated. And to think I worked in a Greek diner, washing those dishes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the great advice and the awesome pics.I can't do an in-ground bog anyways cause I rent and there's no room anyways.I was wanting to get one of those mini pond things that scottychaos has.Where would I get me one of those?Pet store I'm guessing [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] Thanks again to everyone,you have been REALLY helpful once again [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] ~Niki~
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which plants would go well together in a bog? I personally like the look of Sundews, but I'm not sure if I'd like a big pot completely full of Sundews. Maybe some bladderworts and butterworts, and even pitchers. Would these all grow well with the same conditions?
    Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening. ~Pardo.

\"I think we should always make certain we have chocolate. One never knows when it might be necessary.\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bins we have at work would make good bogs. They are just a rectangular frame made with 2x4's with a pond liner. The ones outside we put plants in cups and trays into the bins. In the greenhouse they have the same bins but with dirt straight into them.
    No drainage in any of them, and yes they do stink if they sit with water to long, but it does take awhile for them to start stinking. And they are shallow enough that they tend to dry often enough that it isn't a problem in most of them. We have atleast 75-100 5'x10' of these bins and only the 10 or so under the cover of the trees stink (strongly) and the plants have been in those for 2 1/2 years now.
    Ofcourse some work would need to be done to make them visually appealing.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFT_lover, you could certainly do a bog with those species, particularly if you choose plants from the southeast of the US. There are Dionaea, Drosera, Pinguicula, Sarracenia, and Utricularia all around the various CP habitats there, and I'm sure if you did a little research you could find species that are all compatible with the same conditions.
    Good luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, SarraceniaScott- I WAS replying to you, but for some reason I got the wrong Scott/Scot
    I just feel like it's my duty to make it clear that the fragility of many species is highly overrated, since I see a lot of things that say otherwise which I can disprove with my own experience and I feel it is kinda unfortunate- if I hadn't been told by the "good authority" I would never have even tried growing anything past S.purpurea outdoors for fear of killing them and finding out that I had a lot more options was really exciting

And also that Vancouver and places near there are NOTHING like say northern Michigan or northern ohio or places like that, people grow all sort of tropical plants as garden specimens out there, it's more like northern California than upstate NY
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast