Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How would i make a mini bog?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

I would like step by step info on how to make a mini bog.Now I know this sounds really stupid but...a bog contains water right? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img] I would like to put some VFT's and some Sarrs in it.What do I need?Live Sphagnum Moss?Medium?Please let me know.Thanks! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] ~Niki~
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how big do you want it?
    Mine right now is the simplest ever. A bus tub that Ive drilled holes in the bottom of placed into another bus tub (the same size of course). Toss in your CP soil and plants and thats it. I Drilled 2 holes twards the top on the side so that the second tub doesnt get too full but I have a feeling it was kinda a waste of time.
    Ive tried a few but with a mini bog my size a water tray is a pain in the behind! This way theres hardly any (if there is any) evaporation and not much chance of mosquitoes or anything getting into the water.

Edited to add I use sphagnum peat mixed with sand. Perlite is not very useful in an outdoor mini bog and turns that yucky green. Ive also tried it with a layer of both sphagnum and rocks at the bottom of the mini bog but in all honesty havent seen any reason for it and now I dont have any at all. I just dont seen any reason why or a difference aside from it making it heavier.

I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dumb question: What is a bus tub? Of course the big picture is that it is a vessel that holds water, but I am unfamiliar with the term.

I am currently using buckets as minibogs. I used an awl to bore a hole in each bucket, for those 3" rainstorms we occasionaly get. I read diametrically opposed opinions as to where to place holes, with respect to toward the top or bottom. To me, it makes sense to be able to have something at the top, just to control overflowing. For the bottom, it also makes sense to me to allow for excess mineral salts to be flushed out. One person suggested having plugs in holes at the bottom and drain the mini-bog once a week by temporarily removing the plugs. Another expressed concern that worms, wit thier destructive habits for CP's might get inside the mini-bog, if the holes are at the bottom.

I mixed sand and peat together and put the dried LFS on top, though the live LFS would probably be a better idea. I totally agree about the use of perlite. It will tend to migrate to the top and become unsightly.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard a lot of mention of worms(I'm assuming earthworms). From my experience earthworms are of no worry to the cper. I also find it quite impossible not to get worms. I have had worms to show up in media that I KNOW that I KNOW did not originally have earthworms.

I have a few things on bogs the laura sent me a while back. I will e-mail those to you.

I was recently in Maryland and visited a guy who sells cps. His outdoor bog was very simple and looked quite beautiful. He used 2x12 boards and made boxes according to the size he wanted. He then proceeded to line the box(bog) with plastic, and poked 3 or 4 holes every 3-4 feet. This allows for the draining of excess water while still holding water to provide the cps with. He said that if you had too few the bog would start to stink and provide a great place for mosquitos, but if you had too many holes it would dry out. IMO, you can put the holes in according to how many YOU think you need. After the plastic is laid and punched, you can proceed to add about a 1/1 mixture of peat and sand. After that's done, add your plants and youre done! His bog was a raised bag and not sunken, if you want to sink it I would go with UKC's instructions.

Jim, I think when she says a bus tub, she means those tubs that they use at restraunts to put the dirty plates in when they "bus" a table.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wesly got it right. A bus tub is something you normally see in restraunts when the people are clearing the tables. The bus boy takes all the dishes and puts them in a gray tub so its easier to carry than trying to ballance them all on his own.

Try and keep earthworms out they, by what Ive been told, make the soil much too rich.

My mini bog....

I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow...Shelly, your plants look great! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Niki...you can put the plants in just about any container that fits your space as long as its deep enough for root room but most importantly, it does need to have some drainage. The same water left standing for months at a time gets stagnant and will start to smell and isn't good for the CPs.

My plants are in pots in pond liners which I regularly dump. If I know we are going to get a decent rain, I dump the liners and let the rain refill them. As long as the water is evaporating off normally, it doesn't stand too long.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given your geographic location, I would recommend an above-ground bog (i.e. -- large pot or tub), rather than an in-ground bog. You can do an in-ground bog, but except for S. purpurea ssp. purpurea (pref. Canadian in origin), you'd probably have to dig up your plants before freezing, and keep them in the fridge over winter.

For an above-ground bog, I'd recommend a 2-foot pot, the kind that looks like stone, but is actually foam. They are sturdy and lightweight, and you can drill drainage holes in them.

Drill 4 quarter-inch holes, spaced equally around the rim, about 1.5 - 2 inches below the top of the pot. This helps prevent flooding if it pours.

VFTs and Sarracenia really do best, IMHO, in pure LFS moss. It's more expensive than peat, so I recommend filling the bottom half of the pot with wet peat, then fill the pot, to within an inch of the rim, with wet LFS moss.

Water thoroughly, shake gently to remove air bubbles, and let settle for 2 weeks. If necessary, add more LFS to top pot off again.

In a 2-foot pot, you should be able to plant 3 Sarracenia, leaving them room to grow for years to come, or 6-8 smaller Sarracenia, and replant them in a year or two into more pots. You can then plant the VFTs amid the bases of the Sarracenia.

Non-sphagnous mosses tend not to grow as readily on long-fiber sphagnum (LFS) as they do on peat, and often, LFS has living sphagnum that will grow eventually.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my mini-bog:

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/scottychaos/june11-02.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/scottychaos/june11-03.jpg[/img]

I made it last summer, its in its 2nd year now.
    It is made from one of those pre-formed plastic ponds.
    this must be the smallest pond they make!
    it is filled with a 50/50 mix of peat and perlite, and topped with a layer of LFS.
    (no problems with perlite coming to the top..the LFS keeps it under control)

I put strips of wood around it for a dectorative effect, here it is without the wood:

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/scottychaos/CP-2005-07.jpg[/img]

it contains about 40 VFT's, two S. leucophylla, and one S. wrigleyana.

I drilled drainage holes half way up the sides..and no drainage holes in the bottom.
    So that there is always lots of standing water in the bottom of the bog, to keep it wet, btu the upper 2-3 inches is not waterlogged.
    There are enough drainage holes that it drains faster than it can rain, so it never fills to the top.

Scot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast