What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Hortman

• Thread starter LauraZ5
  • Start date
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday dear Hortman!
Happy Birthday to you!

How olllllllllld are you!
How olllllllllld are yooooooooooooooooooou!

Still think I should be Pope?  Tee he!  I'm such a little angel now aren't I.

You are really gonna get it!

Quick, Hortman! Send her this poison oak!

She thought I said "Laura for the next Pope" - I really said "Laura for the next Poop!"

Did you know she has a fascination with dog barf fungi and smuts? I think she's "touched"

Pastinaca sativa back at ya Bugweed and Hortman. Tecnu can't even bail ya out if you get into any of that. You'll look as if you have second and third degree burns all over your body for months and that crap looks like wild mustard and it's growing in many roadside ditches here. They don't call me the Fearless Weeder for nothin ya know but that stuff even scares me!  

So Hortman, whatjagetforyourbirthday!  I got turquoise sequined house slippers and a wonderfully speshull necklace. Remember those kiddie necklaces of candy that were on elastic and you could stretch them over your head and eat to your heart's content... this may come as a shocking revelation to you but they still sell them at finer candy stores. Well I got one of those. Umm umm good.

edited to add-
Ouch, my fascination with fungi is being attacked. Boy you really know how to hurt a gal. Wanna talk about "The Blob" or should I just scoop some up and send it your way so it can be added to your Information Kiosk along with some interpretation?

Wild parsnip causes contact dermatitis? I don't think I'd know it if I saw it.

But while we are telling dermatological horror stories...

A few years ago, while volunteering as an interpreter in a herb/kitchen garden at a historic colonial estate, I was weeding on a hot and sweaty day near some Ruta graveolens (garden rue). I had a - what one person referred to as "poison ivy on steroids" reaction on my arm that lasted several months, replete with oozing blisters for weeks. Apparently, there are compounds in some members of that family (Rutaceae) that can cause severe cases of phytophotodermatitis in some people. Based on my experience I would never have it in a garden, even though it is very attractive.

Meet Wild Parsnip-
http://www.wnrmag.com/stories/1999/jun99/parsnip.htm

I believe anyone who deals with this should "suit up". Bag it and toss it in the garbage can.  Treat it just like Poison Oak and Poison Ivy and Poison Sumac and never ever ever burn it. Burning poisoness anything is a big no no. First of all- the oil sort of vaporizes and can and will be carried in the smoke. One can actually get horrible rashes that may need to be treated for a very long time if one comes in contact with the smoke from burning ickies and nasties. How do I know this... my husband, my Dad, a few of my brothers, two male neighbors who stopped in because none of them can pass up a nice rip roaring fire (all being the pyros they are) had a burn fest while the boys ran around like animals when my little Y chromosome rocket scientists decided to burn some poison ivy vines. Can we say drift? My husband was the one wearing shorts. Fortunately, the burn pit was recessed and the winds were minimal or they could have all continued their all male bonding session at the local hospital together. Truly this could have been far worse if it had gotten into anyone's lungs as we were told people could end up dead or in the hospital for a very long time.

Oh my, what a love birthday topic.

Happy birthday! And what a lovely topic this has become!
laugh.gif

Happy Birthday!! Hopefully I will be able to send you some more information on hardiness as a bit of a late B-day present
smile_m_32.gif

Longest day of the year, too, you have some good timing!

A day late and a dollar short (been out of town) but none the less heartfelt.
smile.gif
I hope you HAD a great birthday and have many more ahead.

You are still in Birthday Afterglow so continue to enjoy yourself and feel special. Eat more cake and make more merry.
biggrin.gif

Why thank you thank you thank you!  Glad you're back and I hope your family reunion went well.

Happy birthday HM!

Family reunion? Did I miss something?

Laura...have you been drinking water out of one of your Sarrs pitchers?

AH ha ha ha ha... I had both threads bookmarked. Both threads started with Happy Birthday to...   The birthday thread I started of yours and the birthday thread started for me both have responses delivered to my personal e-mail. PAK's well wishes for your birthday came in to my mail and I didn't look at the header and I thought PAK was wishing me a Happy Birthday since you and I were born within hours of each other.  Too darn funny.  PAK was the one who was away for the weekend at a family reunion or something. Tee he, too darn funny!  Oh man oh man, this is actually incredibly funny for other reasons. Hope your birthday went well and never fear Hortman, I am not having an out of body experience as the welcome back was meant for PAK.

Back