What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings fellow cp growers!

I started to grow CP's about two years ago. Still an amature as you'll see from the picture of one of my bog gardens. I made a bad choice of containers - thought an aluminum wash basin would make a great (inexpensive) bog container. D'oh! The plants in it are actually doing very well, but I'm planning on transfering them out at the end of this growing season.

I live in San Francisco where the weather outside seems to be just about perfect for many CP species. I grow most of my plants in my small roof garden. I have a few others that I grow indoors (pix of those coming later). I'm lucky in that the tap water
smile_k_ani_32.gif
is pure enough to use for all my plants.

So, without further ado, here are some pix of some of my plants:

d. Capensis alba
dcapensisalba.jpg

d. Capensis "All Red" - with two flower stalks and three flowers blooming!

dcapensisallred1.jpg

This next one is labeled d. nitidula x omissa
dnitidulaxomissa.jpg

d. Nitidula x Puchella
dnitidulaxpuchella.jpg

S. wrigleyana "Scarlet Bells"
SxWrigleyanaScarletBells.jpg

My latest bog - still needs to grow in
newbog.jpg

Old bog in the aluminum
smile_k_ani_32.gif
container:
oldbog.jpg

A close up pic:
oldbogcloseup.jpg

Finally, perhaps someone could help me identify one of the drosera's in the older bog - Here's a somewhat better pic:
unknowndroseracloseup.jpg

I have a couple of other CP's that I'll snap pix of in the coming days. Just had to post and finally stop lurking!

Randy on the LeftCoast

Hey Randy, welcome to the forums from a fellow San Franciscan! Nice plants!!! You can grow almost anything here in SF.

Capslock

The leaves on the bog capensis are almost purple!

Welcome and Nice plants! Your d. Capensis "All Red" is gorgeous

I'm not sure what that last sundew is though. Not my area of expertise. If you post it in the Identify That Plant section you might get a quicker response.
smile_m_32.gif

I'm curious as to how your bog is set up. What's the tube for etc.? It looks like a good setup.

Can't wait to see more pics

Welcome!Nice pics
smile_m_32.gif
~Niki~(*Trapper7*)
cool.gif

Welcome, LeftCoast.

I'd say your big bog is definitely in need of repotting -- it is overgrown with moss. The nonsphagnous moss retards other plant growth.

You should post a grow list.

Start trading, and your list will practically explode.

I'd really like to know about that tube set up also when you have a spare moment. It looks like something I might like to try. Please share that set up when time allows.

Nice photos. The Drosera looks like maybe a Drosera natalensis? I went to the Humboldt site and poked around for a little and I found photos that sort of looked like what you have above. Whe know, after an hour or so they all start looking alike.

I can deffinately see you've been shopping at CA carnivores
smile_n_32.gif
! I can tell byt the type of pots you have, and that peculiar type of moss in your bog. Wish I lived so close to them.

The unidentified Drosera is almost definitely the hybrid Drosera dielsiana x nidiformis often called D X snyderi

Yes, I've ordered from that same place and my plants are loaded with that same moss, often some rogue utrics, as well as pearlwort and other things. It takes a while but I manage to get the plants that are shipped down to the bare root before I plant them so I don't end up over run.

When you have a heap of them growing as weeds in other pots you gain the ability to recognise them in an instant.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mannex17 @ June 20 2005,11:47)]The leaves on the bog capensis are almost purple!
the d. capensis in the bogs sprang up out of thin air. One of the very first 'hitchhikers' I ever found. I was so excited the day I found them! They seem quite happy.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll try and post an explanation of the 'tube set-up' later today.

Hey there Lefty!

Nice set ups you have there. Really dig that all red capensis.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ June 21 2005,3:36)]The unidentified Drosera is almost definitely the hybrid Drosera dielsiana x nidiformis often called D X snyderi
Thank you so much! For further clarification, it has lovely (though extremely short-lived) purple flowers. I have a bad picture of a flower, but I hope to be lucky enough to spot another flower now that I have a new digital camera.

At this point, I've managed to propagate it once. The new plant is VERY tiny, but seems to be growing quickly.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ June 21 2005,8:56)]Yes, I've ordered from that same place and my plants are loaded with that same moss, often some rogue utrics, as well as pearlwort and other things...

...I can see the nidiformis in that plant but I don't see the dielsiana.
Hi Laura,

The moss is a California native species apparently. So far, it doesn't seem to be overwhelming any of the plants, but it does need a good trim at a minimum. As people have guessed, I love to shop at CA Carnivores
smile.gif
I actually purchased the moss, though I thought I killed it initially. The bog became 'infested' with u. Bisquamata until just recently when I began to remove every stolon I could find. Lovely flowers, but they just took over.

Regarding the (previously) unidentified drosera, what are the identifying characteristics that people are seeing. I had thought it might be a d. spatulata but never could be sure.

Randy

Tee he seandew
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When you have a heap of them growing as weeds in other pots you  gain the ability to recognise them in an instant.
Who cares hows you did it!  You did it in the blink of an eye.

LeftCoast, I always go to this site-
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

Then I just start clicking away on image after image.
Yup, I had to get rid of some sort of Utric from plants I bought too. Sheesh, even the tiniest little piece left behind can take over. Some terrestrial Utrics can be maddening.  I finally used a tweezers to get it out of the crown of some Sarrs and I think... not positive... that I've got it all this time.

Hello LeftCoast...welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

Seems like you already have quite a handle on CPs. I enjoyed your photos. I hope you stick around and join in with all the other CP nuts around here.

Let this be a lesson to lurkers...there is more fun in posting than lurking.
biggrin.gif

I have that moss in every single plant I own. It cannot be stopped! However, it seems harmless, and I've even had generations of pygmys grow right in amongst it, so it really doesn't overwhelm anything either. It looks pretty good amongst the larger plants, actually. I also have U. bisquamata in everything, too.

Capslock

Very nice collection of cps. You must keep those cps outside year round? My sister lives in Sacramento. Although, I think SF has more humidity then Sacramento...Nice to have you on board.

Back