What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess what!

• Thread starter Trapper7
  • Start date

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Oh my goodness you guys I am sooo excited! I'm getting a Camelion! I convinced my parents so we went to the pet store to see if they had any and they did!They have two beautiful 1 month old females for $100 Canadian!I'm really excited!I've never had a lizard before,but I know that Camelions are a lot more fragile than other lizards.Anyone have any little advice about them,just something that I really need to know?Thanks guys,I will try to take pics when she settles in.I'm thinking about calling her Dino
smile_m_32.gif
~Niki~

Haha! Awesome! Congratulations!
smile.gif
I'm sure there'll be plenty of folks here who can give you pointers.

Thanks Est
smile.gif
I'm super excited about this! ~Niki~

Don't handle it, they get stressed out WAAAAAYYYYY to easily. I used to be a bit of a lizard enthusiast, and that is one of the few things i remember from it. They can die from the stress.

TunaSuprise,that's what I heard too,but I just read a bunch of articles on them and some say DO handle them cause then they won't be AS aggressive and some say DON'T cause they'll get stressed.Also it says that the females will lay eggs even if they never came in contact with a male!?!?! Is that true??How is that possible?I don't want any eggs
confused.gif
~Niki~

Niki,

See if you can get in touch with Wildbill. He has at least one, maybe two cameleons. One of which doesn't mind being handled (very mellow), the other one not so much (biter).

Hi Nikki

Congratulations.
smile.gif
That's cool. FYI...its "chameleon".

And just in case you didn't know, we have a lizard/snake forum where you might find more assistance on the subject. Its on down the list a ways with the fish forums.

Chameleons are neat though. Ought to be interesting.
smile.gif

niki,
check out www.kingsnake.com lots of good information including caresheets and forum for every practically every sepcies under the sun. being a "dump center" for animals i have used this site numerous times.
-julie

Niki, you named the chameleon after Starman?
laugh.gif
They also bite - but not hard enough to break the skin. That would more like a skink.

I have never kept a true chameleon myself. I may get one in the future, as I always wanted to keep one.
Do you know what kind it is? Panthers and Veiled are very common ones. Sometimes you will find Jacksons.
Good luck with them.

We will see if Scott looks at this post again, he does not know it and I'm kind of regretting it, but 2 weeks ago I got rid of my discus in my 29 gallon tank. I started to tear apart my planted 40 gallon community tank. I have redone the 29 gallon as a planted community tank. The 40 gallon is getting set up to keep lizards again, it has been around 6 years since I've kept them. I'm thinking of breeding Leopard Geckos again. I'll know what I'm getting for sure in the middle of July because I will be going to the Reptile Show that is around a hour and a half away. It's been a long time since I've been to the shows so something new and different might catch me eye instead.

You did what!??!?! Those beautiful discus! Hey, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

Niki, Steve brought up a good point. There are several types of Chameleons & Anoles out there. I was honing in one that is very commonly sold. Can you post a pic?

i always heard that glass aquariums are bad, is that true?

The best thing you can do for your chameleon is to handle and hand feed them. It causes themto be tame which lessens the stress of a household living. They are very jumpy little things but with handling they become fairly friendly. Most won't drink from standing water - they need it to move. Cats and dogs should not be allowed to be around them if they will pay attention to them or the cage. and NO birds. They stress very badly if they hear a screech from a bird. I used to go about my day with mine on my shoulder or in my hair. (they like to hide)

Joe

They are very susceptible to mold and fungus so they need good air movement. If you can do it in a glass terrarium then its fine.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ June 23 2005,12:53)]Oh my goodness you guys I am sooo excited! I'm getting a Camelion! I convinced my parents so we went to the pet store to see if they had any and they did!They have two beautiful 1 month old females for $100 Canadian!I'm really excited!I've never had a lizard before,but I know that Camelions are a lot more fragile than other lizards.Anyone have any little advice about them,just something that I really need to know?Thanks guys,I will try to take pics when she settles in.I'm thinking about calling her Dino  
smile_m_32.gif
 ~Niki~
hey congradulations

Call her Dino? Is that after me?
biggrin.gif

BTW my name is pronounced Deano, not like Dino as in Dinosaur.
Or you could call her Dina(D-ee-n-ah)
Thats the female version of Dino
smile.gif

Dino

Hi guys! Thanks for all the info,I REALLY appreciate it! I will post a few pics after I say a few words
smile_n_32.gif
Dino(lol) is a 1 month old female Veiled Chameleon.Yeah I knew I had the spelling wrong in my first post,it looked really off but I was so excited to tell you guys about her that I didn't bother checking the spelling first
smile_n_32.gif
So I just picked her up this morning and I got a bunch of stuff for her,like a heat bulb(I already had the lamp)and a fluorescent bulb($27.00!!!)and some crickets,and some vitamins to dust the crickets with,and a drip thingy for the water.I know the best "cage" for a Chameleon would be one of those mesh ones,but I already have a 33 gallon hexagon tank so I wanted to use that.I sprayed the real plants down before I put her in and she sat on the wood in there for a bit and them went and got a drink from the leaves,which I thought was a really good sign
smile.gif
I also had to go buy some checken wire for the top of the terrarium so she can't come out.She is BEAUTIFUL! It's amazing,right now she is on a leaf but her tail is on the piece of wood,so her body is a nice green color but her tail is brown!They are just amazing creatures!Um what else did you guys ask...Oh about the handling thing,I think everyone has a different oppinion on that.The girl I talked to yesterday who told me all about them,has an adult female Chameleon at home and she goes for walks with her on her head!Apparently hers likes to be handled.I'm sure some don't,but I'm hoping mine will.I know they bite but they give you quite a bit of warnings(they hiss at you)before they would actually bite.I know not to actually grab her and pick her up,but to put my hand out and coax her onto my hand,which is what I did to take the pics,and at first she just "thought" about it and then climbed on
smile.gif
And the whole time she was a nice light green color so I don't think she was mad
smile_m_32.gif
I thought Dino(pronounced Deeno)would be a good name for her cause you know..dinosaurs..so yeah.My mom wanted to call her Huggy since it looks like she hugs with those two finger like things she has on her feet,lol.Also I found out that she WILL lay eggs(even if she doesn't come in contact with a male)maybe twice a year or more.I'm not too happy about that cause I don't want her to become egg bound and die,so I know I have to provide some sand for her to lay the up to FIFTY eggs in,lol.Ok I've blabbed enough I think,so onto the pics! If anyone has any other info about her that I could use,please don't hesitate to PM me or let me know on here.Oh and also,PAK thanks for pointing out the reptile forum on this site,if you want to move this thread to there I would not mind.And that's to others who pointed out other reptile sites.I really appreciate it.So here's my new baby girl.

~Niki~
laugh.gif

but Dino is a very popular MALE name in the Meditarranean lol

awwwwwwwww, she looks so cute, i want one now
biggrin.gif

Yeah you're right,Dino is more of a boys name but oh well,she doesn't have to know that
smile_m_32.gif
Isn't she adorable!~Niki~

yes she is adorable
smile.gif

You could always call her Dina, thats a nice name
smile.gif

She's beautiful.
smile.gif
No need to move your post but I thought you'd like to know that forum's here just in case. Lots of lizardy folks on the forums (as you can tell). I love the curl to her tail in one of the photos.

Back