What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Everyone,
Well San Fran was nice. I flew into SFO and went out to Berkeley the first day. I must say the campus is very nice and the Botanical garden is quite large. Judith was not present so I only got to see the plants on display (no VIP tour). A huge pot of Darlingtonia, a huge truncata were the main attractions but a couple heliamphora, U. humboldt(sp?) (I think) along with some dews and Sarrs were present. I stayed in Concord that night and visited Barry in the morning. I must say that he is alot more instyle and hip then I would have expected. I also have to thank him for posting his picture on his site so I actually knew what he looked like. Not of course that he would have been hard to find (his office is the only one with plants crowding out the window). Barry took me on a tour of the Davis BG + the VIP tour. Davis has a ton of Cephs and Neps along with many Sarrs. Some interesting plants included a baby of pretty much every nep species (including hamata) along with bogs of Cephs, and every species of Sarr including most var. and ssp. Some interesting Utrics were there also.
I then met Lois and saw here sarr stocks and headed over to Peters (he was not there) and saw his amazing display of Neps. I finnally obtained a N. maxima 'JD hybrid'. The Neps at Peters are huge and many are on display inlcuding the one named after him. Some sarrs were present but I did not give those a through going through as I have quite a few. IT was decided to Skip Mendocino on Barry's advice and the car travelled up 101.
101 is definatly an interesting road. First you see Napa then redwoods all over the place. I would not recommend trying to stay in the redwoods as hippies are all over the place and the towns are well lets just say most shops were openly selling drugs (and not the persciption kind). Then you come upon a stream on one side of the road and follow it for the rest of your journey which is quite nice. Then following instructions (which I swore to tell no one) I saw several Darlingtonia sites. These were amazing. I only spent max 1/2 hour in each b/c I only had a week. The distinct plants were quite amazing. Some sites had clones that were as tall as the tallest Sarr and some sites had clones that were only a few inches tall. I also saw P. macorensis ssp. notensis (sp? and is that right?). They carpeted the ground at one site. They are quite amazing.
Day 3-4was used traveling to Seattle and back and sleeping in Olympia. I saw more work from Chihula (sp?) then I care too. I visitied Dean who is very nice and has more plants then I have seen anywhere. He may have had more Sarrs then ABG. He had something like 5 greenhouses and you could say his yard was a big bog with a pathway. His growlist would strech several hundred feet probibly. He's like Bugweed in that he only has location Sarrs. It was simply amazing. I also saw the Darlingtonia at wayside. These were interesting. Oh I plan to tell about the Darlingtonia growing condtiions on that thread later.
Day 5 I went to the sealion caves b/c on Day 4 a truck had gone off the cliff and crashed into the sidewalk. Then it was down to redding.
Day 6 was spent looking at Stanford (no BG) actually getting the film developed there and Berkeley (BG again).
Day 7 was spent in San Fran and I saw everything pretty much. The Conservancy of Flowers felt just like florida (I was finnally warm) and all the plants can be grown outside here. A couple neps were there but mostly Masdevellia orchids. Then visited a family friend who is very nice. She is afraid of Birds and her husband is afraid of spiders and heights so they would make quite an outdoor pair.
Day 8-went home

SOunds like you had a good time!That's awesome,thanks for sharing
biggrin.gif
~Niki~

LOL, yeah, I should have warned you about the Humboldt hippies (the women are called Humboldt Honeys). All you have to do is wave either a bar of soap or a badge. But at least they're nice as most plant fans tend to be...
laugh.gif

Sounds like you had a nice time. I know you're sworn to secrecy as to the darlingtonia locations, but could you estimate how long a drive (in hours) the locations are from SF?

BTW, if you're ever in Yosemite I have heard that there are some drosera species near one of the lakes. Haven't made it there yet (I always seem to visit in the winter), but one of these days...
smile.gif

Not many (with how many I will drive for a good bog). I would guess 6 or 8 but I am probibly off. There were bogs closer but I did not bother stopping (another excuse for another visit).

Oh man, I wish you'd told me you were driving through Oly! You could've come by and seen that Nep I've got for you. Sounds like a fun trip, I hope you enjoyed yourself.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ June 24 2005,7:02)]Not many (with how many I will drive for a good bog). I would guess 6 or 8 but I am probibly off. There were bogs closer but I did not bother stopping (another excuse for another visit).
Well, if you want company on your next trip I (and I'm sure many others) would love to take a field trip with you.
smilie4.gif

I hope my next trip will be moving there. Well I will see all of you at the 2006 ICPS conference. I can't wait.

Back