User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Planting a green roof

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens (USDA Zone 5), where I work, there is an information kiosk with a wooden shingled roof. I am going to plant it and am wondering if anyone had had experience doing this type of project. It's about a 45 degree slope, so I plan to place a layer of Promix (perhaps mix in some of those polymer granules that soak up water) with a layer of live sphagnum moss over that to help hold the potting mix in place. I will then put a sheet of that black plastic mesh netting over the entire surface and fasten it down on the edges. I'll cut holes in the mesh where I want to insert plants. Since this may only receive water when it rains, I need to select drought-resistant plants. Sedums, sempervivums, other succulents and chives have been recommended.

Can anyone make offer any suggestions or make any recommendations? Also, can anyone recommend a source for inexpensive succulents?

Many thanks,

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only info I've ever seen about green rooves is with sod rooves in the Midwest during colonial times. Mainly just thick, heavy grasses... But it sounds like you have a decent plan. Chives and such could grow right through mesh if it isn't too fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this site could help.....

http://www.greenroofs.com/
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hen and chicks can go a while with out water...and are pretty hardy

thanks

Brad
    thanks for you imput

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chives seem to be a common plant used for green roofs. The Philadelphia Fencing Acadamy has a lovely green roof. Hens and Chicks (Sepervivum) seem also to be a good choice. I want to use a few of the sedums that trail so they will look as if they are dripping off of the roof.

April, I had already seen that website...there is a LOT there and it's a bit overwhelming, but I was able to extract some useful tidbts. If anyone knows a source for inexpensive Hens and Chicks (Sempervivum)...please let me know. It matters not if they are named.

Thanks,

John

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe String of Pearls? I don't know what the latin name is, but it's a pretty drought tolerant trailing vine with little succulent leaves that are spherical or oblong in shape.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~