Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Justice lets it all hang out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read an article that was talking about the classical (nude) statues of "Justice" in the capital buildings being uncovered since John Ashcroft has left his post. As soon as he was appointed before tackling the terrorists he took care of a bigger, more pressing problem. Had the statues nude breasts covered because he felt they were "dirty" or something.

Being an artist/sculptor I don't understand these peoples fear of the human body. If one doesn't understand anatomy and wants to be a figural artist you won't get very far with creating accurate represenation.

I find nothing offensive with any of these statues. They are not in lewd or suggestive positions, there is nothing erotic about them at all just simple classical poses. How about you, are you offended by Justice? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] A breast. I have never seen one or two of those before.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] OH MY! Is that his ......, males don't really have those...... do they?

I'd be offended if the statue was of me. Have you seen the "parts" in question. I certainly hope it's not anatomically accurate. Someone got cheated when scaling to size. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very offended. I find all this politcaly correct crap very offensive. Everybody is scared to say what they feel because they'll get sued if somebodies feelings get hurt.
    Now that asscroft and Bush has taken office, everything is blurred or bleeped on TV, even on TLC and the discovery channel. Thank goodness that they were working on that when 9/11 happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's totally unfair to single out Aschcroft and Bush. They have the same problems with sexuality as pointy headed theocracies all around the world. Ashcroft isn't there anymore, anyway. Maybe he's doing commercials for Wesson Oil: "If it's pure enough to annoint an Attorney General, it's pure enough to fry your potatoes."
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What ever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones?" I mean, there is a limmit to that, but still, give me a BREAK!

I would be RICH right now if I could sue for all the ways I was tormented as a child. Sheesh!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Religion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not pinning this on any political or religious group in particular, I only use this as a recent example which is in the news. It's happened all though history that 'civilized' people are afraid or ashamed of the naked human form. I'm not becoming an advocate for nudity (no one wants to see ME prancing around the forest naked!) But for the sake of art/anatomical statues if the sculpture is not lewd or provative how is it offesive to show a body part that roughly 50% of the population shares? Whether the statue is male or female? I just don't understand it. Maybe someone can tell me why the human body is offensive?

Sometimes you can get weird looks at the bookshop when you buy anatomy reference books like the female form in motion. Is it not possible for people to seperate nudity/anatomical study from sex?

BTW: In the middle ages the David statue was toured with a fig leaf covering the offensive part. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh,

IMO, Our shame(in this country) of the human body is biblical in origin...Adam and Eve covered themselves because they felt shame.

The people who founded this country weren't exactly free-love advocates, either [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Someone tell me why it's okay to show a baby's butt in a diaper commercial...but showing an adult's butt on a TV show is considered a big deal?

How about that toilet paper commercial with the bears? It gives us the answer to the age-old question...does a bear poop in the woods?

Michealangelo did that famous sculpture of David...have you seen the other statue of David, done by a different artist whose name I forget? Maybe Donnatello? Gorgeous sculpture, too. In the middle ages, all sorts of master works had the fig leaves added.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast