Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse osmosis questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has become obvious that with my new passion for CPs, I will need to purchase a reverse osmosis unit. I'm know absolutely nothing about them and just looked on EBay - only to be overwhelmed. Would someone please advise on what I should look for? I'm not very mechanically oriented and as such, I'd want something easy to install. I see there are portable/counter top models available. I rent an apartment so would want to be able to take the unit with me when moving. Many of them are rated for 100 gallons per day...I can't imagine ever needing that much.

Many thanks for any advice/recommendations offered,

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe install a rain collection system at the botanical garden? It would be a nice demonstration project and a small amount of roof space can collect an amazing amount of water. Then take a gallon or two home whenever you need.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Idea Bruce...I'll check on its feasibility. Is water derived from roof runoff usually considered safe for CPs?

We have several bog-like areas on the grounds that have plenty of sphagnum growing in them. Do you think water from them would be sufficiently free of nutrients?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using rain water exclusively. One problem, Ma Nature didn't cooperate and we haven't had rain in over 4 weeks. I have wiped out every supplier of distilled water in a 30 mile radius and now know the numbers by heart of who regularly stocks it so that I can be there when the doors open to buy water. I presently have a need for about 25 gallons a day with all the bogs and planters.

I have 2 large rain barrels and I additionally have the water from one of my sump pump pits diverted right to where I want water. No rain and none in the foreseeable future was a big concern.

The last big rains we had were intense and were accompanied by tornadoes and we haven't had any rain since. We are officially in a drought... again.

The rain barrels with spigots cost about $135 each plus shipping and handling.

We ordered an RO system just recently that cost less than the two rain barrels combined. One that has 100 gpd. That should about cover me and I can use the waste water for other plants. There is a thread here some where in the past few weeks where I posted a link to the RODI system chosen by my husband with comments as well as a link to the man from whom we purchased it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You came home! I told you I'd stop drinking!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fooled ya, not home until July 5th sometime. It's called wireless laptop. Guess you can start drinking again. Have one or two for me too.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    here is the system I use. It was easy to install (but i am mechanicly inclined) I also live in a apt. so when i move out I will also take it with me. To repair the "damage" i will need to replace a part of the drain piping and buy a plug for the hole drilled in the sink top. less than 10 buck for these two pieces. 24 GPD produciton has been plenty for me for the past 3 years. Now with the addition of a 3 gph fogger in the green house i have a 75 gph membrane comming... (the part of the ro system you can change to speed up production) it'll be here thursday. i'm soo excited. hehe Anyway, here is the product.
    5 stage RO system
    Hope I helped.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100 gallon per is fine. It won't actually make 100 gallons per day. That rating is for when the conditions are just right. Plus, you have it hooked up to a 4 gallon tank, it'll make 4 gallons then stop. You would have to empty the tank so that it will make another 4 gallons. So it'd be really hard to actually get 100 gpd. The ones being sold on ebay are pretty good. I got the 6 stage 100gpd one. I hook it up to the hose in the garage. Beats having to buy RO water from the store. Don't rain much here, so collecting it isn't an option for me.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast