What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Algae and mold: bad for plants?

I've read previous posts where users ask on ways to remove or mollify the growth of algae and mold within plant water trays.

However, I don't know, are Algae harmful to Carnivorous plants? I would think that since some of these plants (like the South/North Carolina native Venus Fly Traps) grow are in standing water for periods of time, they are natively familiar with Algae.

I've only read on the harmful effects algae (specifically, cyanobacteria in blue-green algae) have on humans. However, I haven't found any information on whether algae is bad for plants.

Thoughts? Is algae harmful to the plant, or is it just harmful to the eyes? ;)

-Krystian.";

Neither one are good things, particularly since our collections are a simulation of nature, with not all the variables being compensated as well as nature deals with them. Nature doesn't cover the plants as we do with terraria or plastic domes. Nature does more for air circulation (mold) than we do and distributes water more effectively. And yes, we take a more aesthetic motivation than does nature. We have to modify things in our artificial environments to compensate for what is not provided.

What Jim said, plus it will really make you angry the first time you lose a batch of seed or cuttings to a freak plauge of mold/algae.
~Joe

my pots have TONS of algae (a couple of them are totally covered in green. I kind of like it. looks cool) in them and they're fine.
One of my pots also has tons of fungus in it and it's been like that since before hibernation.

if there's algae then it means theres noo many nutrients. the algae feeds from the nutrients but it can also clog up the roots and keep air away from the roots.

change your soil and your watering/fertilizer and you'll have better plants, alpha.

Based on my experience, I have to agree with Jim and seedjar. Also, you have to remember that "in nature," algae and fungus do kill plants (CPs included); however, the species survives because it consists of thousands or millions of individual plants (and can thus afford to lose a few). Even worse, there are some CPs that thorougly detest algae, such as adrovanda and some aquatic utrics--fertilizer runoff into their habitats has produced algal blooms that have decimated some populations.

We CPers often don't have the luxury of owning entire populations of plants, so it's usually best not to tempt fate and remove the pesky stuff before trouble happens. These aren't hard-and-fast rules, though.....and thealphawolf's situation with algae is a testiment to that.

Good luck with your plants.

smile_n_32.gif

in fact, I have more problems with sphagnum than with both algae and fungi combined :p

Back