Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sight, smell and other senses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay This was semi-inspired by Barry Rice (well the smell part anyway).
    I find it very interested how all our senses are relitive and I will discuss sight because that is easiest. When we grew up you were told the color of my font was black the face of the smilies were yellow, etc. But how can this be true? (Not the black part). The colors can't be the same to everyone. I could say my favorite color was green and someone else could say orange. Now if both of us had perfect vison (20/20) why would we have different favorite colors? Would we not percieve the same color? How could we define beauty? How could we define things as "looking good" when clearly we see different things? How could two people look at the exact same plant and the saem time and one love it and the other hate it?
    I don't think we all see the same thing. It's like smell. I smell cinnimon and dislike it yet someone smells it and really likes it. I wonder if this is why identical twins are usually similar or usually can tell what the other thinks. I wonder if they see the same thing while two random people in a room see different things. I would like to see a study that addressed this phenominon. I mean when I look at someone and think they look like scum and someone else thinks they are beautiful are we really seeing the same thing? OR are we jsut taught different perceptions of color and beauty. I think the later can be taught but can the enjoyment of a color be taught? There is a new bright sky blue car sitting in the driveway infront of the house right now. I think it is fantastic. Other people think it is okay or rather gauche. I'm really wondering if everyone sees the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steer clear of drugs.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, for example, i never liked blue cars, ever. especially sky blue. my favorite color car is red.

i always wondered how you can describe a color to a blind person, or what they see in their head. like, for a person who could never see, when they feel fur for example, what do they see it as in their head? can they see at all? even if they could it wouldnt be in color. if it did have shapes they wouldn't be polygons... it's weird....

i think people who see 20/20 do see the same thing. it's all about memory i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If you want to poach something, poach eggs.
    Condor eggs? Or maybe Bald Eagle?

And Trea I think you shoulda auctioned off some of what you are smoking. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i meant like... cooking them lol.

your the second person who's mentioned that. i should change that lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I should cook the Condor eggs, got it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think we all see the same, but its just our personal preferences that make use like some colors over others. Our eyes are built the same, so we should all see the same other than people who are colorblind. All the wavelengths of color are the same, too, so we should all be seeing the same colors. Its just all up to personal preferences.

As for the blind who cant see color, I dont think they will have the capabillity to perceive it unless they see it for themselves. They say that people that are born blind only dream sounds, but people who had vision once but became blind can dream pictures. This means that no matter how much then imagin color, they will never be able to see it. Its like that mantis shrip who sees many more colors than we do. Unless we can jump in its head, we cannot hope to even imagin how the extra colors look like. Zongyi
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah yes but the way you see color isn't in ALL in your eyes nor in photons. it's in your brain. I say each person interprets colors differently.
    I doubt we all have the exact neural pathways for each color
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast