What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poetic justice?

Press Release
For Release Monday, June 27 to New Hampshire media
For Release Tuesday, June 28 to all other media

Weare, New Hampshire (PRWEB) Could a hotel be built on the land owned by Supreme Court Justice David H. Souter? A new ruling by the Supreme Court which was supported by Justice Souter himself itself might allow it. A private developer is seeking to use this very law to build a hotel on Souter's land.

Justice Souter's vote in the "Kelo vs. City of New London" decision allows city governments to take land from one private owner and give it to another if the government will generate greater tax revenue or other economic benefits when the land is developed by the new owner.

On Monday June 27, Logan Darrow Clements, faxed a request to Chip Meany the code enforcement officer of the Towne of Weare, New Hampshire seeking to start the application process to build a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road. This is the present location of Mr. Souter's home.

Clements, CEO of Freestar Media, LLC, points out that the City of Weare will certainly gain greater tax revenue and economic benefits with a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road than allowing Mr. Souter to own the land.

The proposed development, called "The Lost Liberty Hotel" will feature the "Just Desserts Café" and include a museum, open to the public, featuring a permanent exhibit on the loss of freedom in America. Instead of a Gideon's Bible each guest will receive a free copy of Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged."

Clements indicated that the hotel must be built on this particular piece of land because it is a unique site being the home of someone largely responsible for destroying property rights for all Americans.

"This is not a prank" said Clements, "The Towne of Weare has five people on the Board of Selectmen. If three of them vote to use the power of eminent domain to take this land from Mr. Souter we can begin our hotel development."

Clements' plan is to raise investment capital from wealthy pro-liberty investors and draw up architectural plans. These plans would then be used to raise investment capital for the project. Clements hopes that regular customers of the hotel might include supporters of the Institute For Justice and participants in the Free State Project among others.

I'd donate money to see that get built. I am so angry about that decision. It is the grossest abuse of elitest power I've ever seen.

You know who it will affect...and its sure not the wealthy.

Shouldn't all land be up for grabs by this law? Isn't this kind of like what people feared with recall elections in California? Any time the property is handed over to someone, somebody else can step in and claim that they can generate greater revenues with the land. Even if it weren't blatantly unconstitutional and injust, this would be a lousy law. It's just way too poorly thought out.
I'm actually not so angry about this judgement - it doesn't really surprise me. The average American is way too nonchalant about their civil liberties. We've been raised with the idea that we have all these inaliable 'rights' that will never be taken from us. Nobody today actually gives some thought to the amount of strife it took for people of this country to be able to say, "We're free to speak as we choose, we're free to choose our religion," etc. etc.
Those things were never rights - they were privledges that were earned and bestowed upon us by our forefathers because they felt that the world would be a better place if everyone was given an equal chance. So today, when people go to court to claim that their children have the right to be patted on the head and ushered through school with good grades, or to sue the manufacturer of their SUV after rolling the behemoth at high speeds, is it really such a surprise that no one is standing up to defend these 'rights?' Why shouldn't people who are more powerful take those rights away? We, as a nation, certainly haven't made any attempt to stop them. We don't even make good use of the freedoms we have, like voting and protest. We cheat on our taxes and call each other names and divide ourselves into democrats vs. republicans, conservatives vs. liberals. Why shouldn't somebody take charge? Who would stop them? We're all just acting like children anyways.
Ultimately, I think this is just another part of the cyclical nature of politics. We're in a conservative phase right now, and in another fifty years we'll be smack dab in the middle of a 'liberal crisis.' I'm more worried about the global climate holding out long enough for us to finish this part of the cycle.
~Joe

Nice rant, Seedjar! Very Denis Miller of you (in format, not content, mind).

Love that hotel idea. I'll contribute!

Ehehe, thanks. It just bothers me that every time I hear people talk about America, all they have to say is how they're so much better than other people and they deserve this and that because they're American and have rights. It embarasses me to be lumped in with that group of people. I believe in earning the things I want and need, not demanding them.
~Joe

Back