Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Men vs women cp growers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We like making stuff die. CPs help us do that legally. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Truthfully, i think we can handle the ewww ness of plants that eat bugs easier, and we find it more interesting. I don't mean to be sexist, but every girl who has seen my cp's with prey has been ewwed out.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense,but I think those girls are kinda wimpy then.I don't think there's anything gross about it at all. I'm sure those girls eat meat(unless they're vegetarian)and they're not going ewww everytime they take a bite out of that cow or pig.~Niki~ [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

It seems that a lot of people interested in CPs are young guys. I'm sure there are a quite a few women growers plus some older guys also.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it might be the collecting side of things. Men seem to like collecting, whereas women I think in general like the plants but have just one or two.

Maybe we like to collect to show off, show dominance or attract a female (or maybe I'm thinking of animals) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cockatielmother....I brought up this same topic several years ago when I noticed the rather large disparity between the sexes here and at other CP related forums and websites.

I know there are lots of male gardeners but I think in general enjoying plants seems to be thought of as a female thing. Maybe the thought of a plant killing bugs makes growing these kinds of plants more appealing to men...its not as "sissy" as raising petunias or roses. Of course I don't seeing loving plants as being a male/female thing. Its just something anyone of either sex can enjoy.

But I've always wondered why there weren't more women around.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years ago, this topic came up on Omnisterra listserver (or its predecessor). At that time, there were almost no females who posted. Gradually, over the years, more and more females have both taken to growing CPs and taken to posting their experiences on the forums.

Rather than looking at where we are currently, I like the notion that the growth in women CP growers is expanding at a healthy rate.

Also - as an observation - the growth in these forums (Terra & CPUK) may somehow help this. While the postings on Omnisterra have added some females (a few), the 'forums' may somehow provide a more receptive venue for participation because the participation here has a significant number of women/girls....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a lot has to do with the boys being unconsciously steered toward science things as well as what would be considered "gross". In contrast, there is a tendency for girls to be steered toward more gentile hobbies and interests. For the gals who don't fit the stereotypes too well and are naturally gifted in science and have the propensity to be "tomboys", this hobby and the like will attract more of them. Notice I used general termnology. We are all different. Not all the guys are sadists and not all the gals are "boys in girl's bodies".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think that there are plenty of women on the forums, but they lurk more than post. Some of the topics are more male-oriented (no offense to anyone) so I simply don't bother responding. For instance, I happen to be a true-blue video gamer, but would rather discuss that on a video game forum instead of this one. Or, if I see topics about why guys should or shouldn't leave the toilet seat up, I'd rather duke it out in person [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast